Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
soo my brank new frame of last year last only this summer... did about 20-25 day of track and racing and its cracked again.. ill have it weld but does any of you have put reinforcement that lasted?
Make sure you are installing your engine mounting adjuster nuts correctly. If the frame is pinched together or spread apart too much (due to the adjuster nuts), it will put stress on the spars and cause them to crack. Cast aluminum is brittle. If you are interested, you can also have the frame x-rayed, then decide if its good enough to use.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My gen1 was cracked too. We did a full strip down and re welded stronger than new. Careful on tightening the engine brackets so they dont stress the frame

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gen 2 Frame Cracks

Hi Gang, First time Kawi owner and found the left upper weld from the longitudinal frame section, weld cracked right down the center. Bought it used but Kawi is sending a new frame to the dealer to install. Should be like a new bike I suppose. It is a 10/06 production 2007 unit.

Thanks for the great information...:notworthy:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine was cracked on the left side, had it tig welded. Looked about an inch long but after welded the welder said it opened up to be 4 inches. The repair was so good he only burned the paint half inch back on each side, so my paint repair can't even be seen from the side of the bike. I'm in Ohio, the name of the guy is Mark Keegan, he's a know sprint car racer and fab guy building sprint car frames. $40 to repair. The frame had to be bare bones for him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did not know there was a topic of this.
I had mine cracked at 3 places 3 years ago. The longest weld was 24cm.

The guy who welded it also mounted an extra support bracket between engine front and frame

101 - 107 of 107 Posts