81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
It's easy to by pass that if you get hand stamps
And stamp the vin into the new frame only one will
Know is you and other zx10 owners state
Inspectors have no idea
Cool...I wonder what other parts changes dictate an inspection and rebuild title?

·
Registered
644 Posts
dunno if its the 1st in germany but my friend took his gen1 for an M;O;T last week and they found cracks in his frame:sad: he,s the 3rd owner so got no chance but to get it done himself.
gonna go over mine with a fine toothcomb now as i,m the original owner still and if there are cracks i hadnt seen b4 ,will be taking a trip to the kwak dealer !!

·
Registered
474 Posts
My first gen had the most wicked crack on the right side of the frame where your knee goes. I RIDE HARD too, was freaking me out. All post some pics in a little.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I have a Gen 1 with a cracked frame (left side close to the steering head on the underside) I replaced the frame with the revised edition. Kawasaki was going to give me a frame but it had to be installed at the dealer (15hrs labour out of my pocket) and the frame only costed $750.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
FYI for the the newer guys. Some of us have had our Frame welded and it holds up fine. I had my frame welded a couple years ago and it's still holding strong. If you can do the labor yourself it will save you tons of money. I tried to get Kawi to replace my frame but they wouldn't because the said my bike was lowered so they wouldn't cover it..

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
FYI for the the newer guys. Some of us have had our Frame welded and it holds up fine. I had my frame welded a couple years ago and it's still holding strong. If you can do the labor yourself it will save you tons of money. I tried to get Kawi to replace my frame but they wouldn't because the said my bike was lowered so they wouldn't cover it..

Reason for me not welding mine was after doing some research it wasn't one specific weld that's an issue. I wasn't tearing the bike apart to weld it and have another weld crack. My bike is absolutly flawless without a scratch and I'm the original owner. There was no way I was having just some guy put his grimey paws all over her.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Reason for me not welding mine was after doing some research it wasn't one specific weld that's an issue. I wasn't tearing the bike apart to weld it and have another weld crack. My bike is absolutly flawless without a scratch and I'm the original owner. There was no way I was having just some guy put his grimey paws all over her.
:lol: I hear ya man. And the 2 places mine was cracked was close to impossible to see without the motor out. But that's the first thing I looked at when I pulled my motor and mine was cracked on both sides..

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've seen just about every make with an aluminum frame crack. They crack because guys abuse them from slamming wheelies to the ground etc. With that said I TIG Aluminum every single day of my life and I'm here to tell everyone repairing one of these is very simple. Sadly it requires the whole bike being taken apart but that's not a huge deal either..

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
sorry to say it but there was no wheelie the last 3 years only racing :p and it still cracked lol

I had 28k on mine and rode many a wheelie, no cracks in frame

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello everyone, i have a crack in my frame as well. This issue started 2 years ago i drilled the cracks and took it very easy it has now spread. i called kawasaki and they said there is no recall on the bike except the front rim, i asked how to get a recall he said there has to be 300 cases i asked what the process was? he said each case has to call kawasaki (866) 802-9381 and then call nhtsa (888) 327-4236 and report the cracked frame after nhtsa has 300 reported cases they will then make kawasaki replace the frame at no cost to the customer. it will not matter if you were original owner or how you ride if you own a first generation zx10r you WILL GET A NEW FRAME........i called nhtsa and said i was the first to have reported this issue which is crazy considering all of the issues everyone is having. So please everyone please call kawasaki and nhtsa so that we can get a recall going.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The bike is 10 years old. Kawasaki is not going to issue a recall for the frame so I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
hello everyone, i have a crack in my frame as well. This issue started 2 years ago i drilled the cracks and took it very easy it has now spread. i called kawasaki and they said there is no recall on the bike except the front rim, i asked how to get a recall he said there has to be 300 cases i asked what the process was? he said each case has to call kawasaki (866) 802-9381 and then call nhtsa (888) 327-4236 and report the cracked frame after nhtsa has 300 reported cases they will then make kawasaki replace the frame at no cost to the customer. it will not matter if you were original owner or how you ride if you own a first generation zx10r you WILL GET A NEW FRAME........i called nhtsa and said i was the first to have reported this issue which is crazy considering all of the issues everyone is having. So please everyone please call kawasaki and nhtsa so that we can get a recall going.

Yeah I went through all that shit 4 or 5 years ago when I found my frame was cracked. I had to send pictures of my bike and frame and they told me they wouldn't do anything for me because my bike was lowered an inch. I pulled my frame and had it welded and it seems to be holding up, but I thought I was a bullshit answer they gave me, especially for the fact that numerous guys had the same problem and had never lowered their bike or anything. Kawi was just looking for an reason to not cover it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
They (Kawi) have known about it since 2004. There are 90 posts in this thread alone of people who had this problem. Don (Hellzrazor) had a whole facebook page set up with a lot of members when it was suddenly hacked and deleted. I personally have seen MANY 1st gens with the same problem over the years. Some of them have been replaced under warranty, but not many. I have had a couple welded with only removing the body and motor mounts. You need to go to a competent TIG welder though. Someone who can weld pop cans together. Because that's all the thicker the frame is on a Gen 1.
Suzuki recalled their gsxr's in 06 when they started having frame problems. They had the dealer do a weld-in brace kit. I know Honda also did a weld-up recall on their gold wing swingarms about 5-10 years ago also. Kawasaki advises dealers to use JB Weld to fix the cracked engine cases on Gen 4. LOL!

·
Registered
694 Posts
soo my brank new frame of last year last only this summer... did about 20-25 day of track and racing and its cracked again.. ill have it weld but does any of you have put reinforcement that lasted?

81 - 100 of 107 Posts