Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Why wouldn't you just get it welded for like $50 bucks while its apart????
Well is welding it actually worth it? Will it really hold? The cracks haven't seperated yet, so maybe it has a chance. I think the owner of the bike shop has a frame in the basement of his shop. Maybe I can get him to give it to me. lol

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
As i am a welder i can tell you that is not the weld that is cracked. It's the parent metal ie the frame, as i do QC as well i was interested to see one day what our bike frames and parts are made of using a very expensive tool that i cannot remember the name of right now. Anyways what came up on the display was inconclusive, which basically means it's just shit metal. Where the cracks seem to be forming are around the heat effected zones which basically means two IMO....
1. What ever weld procedure was made for the factory welding is wrong, too much heat is being inputed into the frames hence the cracking.

2. The metals used for the constructions of our frames and parts are absolute gob shite.

Just remember bikes are pretty cheap to buy and when mass produced materials aren't going to be top quality..

Last note..if it was the actual weld that was cracking you would see a crack right down the middle of the weld.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
and on that note i failed to see the last picture...this is indeed a crack in the weld. It looks like the whole construction of the frames was just wrong.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
As i am a welder i can tell you that is not the weld that is cracked. It's the parent metal ie the frame, as i do QC as well i was interested to see one day what our bike frames and parts are made of using a very expensive tool that i cannot remember the name of right now. Anyways what came up on the display was inconclusive, which basically means it's just shit metal. Where the cracks seem to be forming are around the heat effected zones which basically means two IMO....
1. What ever weld procedure was made for the factory welding is wrong, too much heat is being inputed into the frames hence the cracking.

2. The metals used for the constructions of our frames and parts are absolute gob shite.

Just remember bikes are pretty cheap to buy and when mass produced materials aren't going to be top quality..

Last note..if it was the actual weld that was cracking you would see a crack right down the middle of the weld.
Isn't that what the last picture shows?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
yeah it does for sure. It's kind of disturbing know that a few of us here ride these things like they are stolen and knowing it could all end badly with a bike that could fall apart on you.
I was thinking about getting a Gen 4 next year but i may put the binders on that idea seeing a Kawi aren't willing to fix a major problem. Bone stock and pay for a tear down? Yeah my slip on exhaust really caused the frame to crack...oh and original owner? give me a break...oh wait they have..lol

I was thinking i'd like to try the new Honda 1000 too maybe that's what i'll do who knows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah I think it's a shame that kawi's not stepping up, I know in my case their losing a long time customer,I passed on a super clean 04 r1 for my 10, but who am I kidding ,I bleed kawi green,just gotta find another gen,I always wanted the 04,but I've got 5 cracks that are getting taken care of right now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
yeah it does for sure. It's kind of disturbing know that a few of us here ride these things like they are stolen and knowing it could all end badly with a bike that could fall apart on you.
I was thinking about getting a Gen 4 next year but i may put the binders on that idea seeing a Kawi aren't willing to fix a major problem. Bone stock and pay for a tear down? Yeah my slip on exhaust really caused the frame to crack...oh and original owner? give me a break...oh wait they have..lol

I was thinking i'd like to try the new Honda 1000 too maybe that's what i'll do who knows.
:+1::+1:

i was thinking the same thing but i dont like the front end of it very much.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Read here for the info on where to look for cracks in your Gen 1 frame..
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109225
If you find any, please follow through with the info below.

After much research, We think we may have found the right way to address the "Cracked Frame" issue with Kawasaki Motors.

We have a specific private group site set up for Gen 1 owners with cracked frames to post information Kawasaki will need.
This is a closed group, only Gen 1 owners with cracked frames are invited...
If you ride any other Gen or do not have a cracked frame, this is not for you.
Please do not comment on this post.
And most importantly, please read all of the directions first,
before starting to fill out info so you put the info in the right location.
This is for us to compile a list of all gen 1 owners with this problem to contact Kawasaki with.
A Facebook group was chosen due to their privacy settings.
Once you are added to the group, you may add your information.
You can leave this group at any time.

Here is the link to the site.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/283780201660823/

I welcome all riders with cracked frames to join in the hope of,
if we mass enough numbers of people with a common problem,
maybe, just maybe, they will address the issue and fix it.
Don't hold your breath, but the very least they can do is say no.

Thank you,

Hellsrazor
I'm on the facebook group but no update since January.
The letter was sent to Kawasaki? Any reply?

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
No replies, nothing....

Now, the facebook account was hacked and all info deleted.

WTFO :dontknow:

41 - 60 of 106 Posts