1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'll still argue that if you weren't riding it back to back with another literbike it would be a great ride (well, maybe just a good ride). Plus, they eliminated one of the major complaints, the nut roaster. However, I can't imagine how loud that bike must have been with that exhaust (i.e., FMF has some silly loud exhausts).

·
Registered
156 Posts
So basically, he calls it in his conclusion "a great touring machine" for the street.

The first modification needed is exhaust - but fails to mention if it improved performance just reduces the heat/fire going on under the seat. Only positive thing he said was it sounds great.

And all the money Yamaha pays for these reviews and ads and the honest critic, like this guy, says it is what it is, "a great touring machine".

·
Registered
813 Posts
I fail to see how the slip ons eliminated the heat problem, as the heat on the 09 R1 I owned was pouring out of the cat.

I put Yamaha GYTR pipes on mine the second day I owned it and it had no affect on the heat at all, still horrible. I could have lived with that, especially with winter coming.

Those GYTR pipes were ear bleeding loud even with ear plugs in.

But you are right about riding it back to back with another liter. I did that over a 3 day period.
You have a good point about the heat issue, I would have liked to have heard that explained (but couldn't bring myself to read that entire article, given the manner in which it was written). It is entirely possible he was fibbing. I would be curious to hear either exhaust, and would wonder what unwanted attention it might attract.

·
Registered
156 Posts
He said it "reduced" the heat problem, not "eliminate", but I thought the same thing - something's not right here - how can a slip-on improve the heat issue. Nonsense.

Then way down in the article he said his "feet" were still frying. That would be the CATS.

Maybe just a little "fibbing" for Yamaha eh? How much to these writers make in kick-backs from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The first modification needed is exhaust - but fails to mention if it improved performance just reduces the heat/fire going on under the seat. Only positive thing he said was it sounds great.

And all the money Yamaha pays for these reviews and ads and the honest critic, like this guy, says it is what it is, "a great touring machine".
The whole article had nothing to do with performance, or trying to improve on the previous results, it was about a road trip. the big 4 all need help in this area.

And no slip-ons will not help with the heat.

As for being paid off, all the motorcycle companies are guilty of paying off the mags. its called advertising.

Honest critic? its still an opinion, the only difference between his and ours, our opinions are not put out there for the whole world to read.

Its funny, whenever someone says something positive about a bike they dont like its a payoff. :dontknow:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I thought the article was amusing. You can make any of the other liter bikes great sport tourers for less than the cost of those silly slip-on mufflers. A corbin seat, risers, and luggage and you are done for under $1k. Yamaha is a joke dollar for dollar.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The R1 is the best 600 ever!!

hehehe

I didn't post that to say if it's a good or a bad bike. Every bike is awsome for somebody...

but I was wondering why the chose the R1 or haven't took any af the other liter bikes to COMPARE...

you know any bike is good if it's not put into perspective...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yamaha should think about taking all that money they're spending on advertising and put it towards engineering a bike that can hold its own in tests that are not catered to its strengths

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yams are good too

I've had 3 R1's and now am on my first zx-10r. Love the 10r, great bike. THe yamaha does have some shining points that most would not know without owning them. The thing I miss the most abou the R1 was the attention to detail in the fit and finish of the bike. You could leave and R1 in the rain for a year (i have) and it won't rust or corrode. Definantly not as much as the kawk and suzuki. the kawasaki brakes love to flake of thier finish, and ever nut and bolt on a suzuki corrodes within months of ownership. if you compare the design of the undertails on the bikes, the R1 is the best shielded from the elements - no worried about your electronics corroding in thier - the kawasaki is not so lucky. related to that, is the way that the panels come off the bike when working on the bike, kawasaki is an engineering puzzle - the r1 panels come apart intuitively. I love the weight, handling and power of the zx-10r. those are the things evaluated in magasine articles - the "initial impression, the important aspects of a sport bike", but there are areas that are not evalutated in magasine articles that are important for ownership and the yam does shine there. lastly, as far as underseat heat with the aftermarket pipes, free-er flowing pipes do retain less heat - happens on many bikes - happened on all my r1's.
I'm in the ninja corner now, but I still have to respect a very good machine. remember too, the mags evaluate them all stock - the zx-10r had much, much more power and performance to be brought out in it. same goes for other brands too. All these liter bikes are kick ass machines.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure that the R1's are good bikes.

I just hope that the 3 steps back they took with the 09 will be enough to leap across the cannyon they dig themselves

even Kawi is missing a point in my opinion.... weight

I mean, the best bikes will come with good competition around and shame on the constructors who want to make some of their parts in China... (honda and Kawi)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts