Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
Of course it's safe. The slider opening is there for that particular reason. As long as you can get the proper chain slack where you're at, it doesn't matter where the axle is.

Reactions: moto316

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
The problem is that the new chain is gonna stretch. I would buy a master and my thinking is that two outside links with that inside link removed and move up the axle. Sky, am I thinking right as seem odd that a suspension guy would give him the chain like that. I suspect moto316 did it. lol. I think I'm thinking right, three links removed: two outside and their connecting inside and move axle up. Hopefully.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is that the new chain is gonna stretch. I would buy a master and my thinking is that two outside links with that inside link removed and move up the axle. Sky, am I thinking right as seem odd that a suspension guy would give him the chain like that. I suspect moto316 did it. lol. I think I'm thinking right, three links removed: two outside and their connecting inside and move axle up. Hopefully.
Yes I did it, he recommended running 116 links and running the axle as far back as possible to reach the desired 602mm of swingarm length. I'm aware the chain will stretch, hence why I posed this question so that other people can weigh in. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to run 115 links, and running 114 puts me back in the middle of the adjustment range with my current gearing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
In the photo it looks like the axle bolt is partially protruding past the rear of the swing arm. I guess it might be ok, but I would pause for thought before torquing anything that is not fully supported.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I don't know much about the geometry of the 16' per say... but I'm surprised you're lengthening the wheel base. I though the bike was already longer than the Gen 4. Interesting. I personally think the bike turns incredibly well and stable. But I'm not doing track days/ racing any longer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the photo it looks like the axle bolt is partially protruding past the rear of the swing arm. I guess it might be ok, but I would pause for thought before torquing anything that is not fully supported.
The axle is enclosed within the swingarm, not possible for it to protrude pas the rear.

I don't know much about the geometry of the 16' per say... but I'm surprised you're lengthening the wheel base. I though the bike was already longer than the Gen 4. Interesting. I personally think the bike turns incredibly well and stable. But I'm not doing track days/ racing any longer.
This is a gen4 I'm talking about not a gen5. Forgot to add the prefix when I created the thread.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That is beyond the last adjustment mark. You are not getting much bite on the axle. Why don't you remove some links of the chain? There is a lot of side torque there. I would not run a bike like that. The axle should be completely within the swingarm and both adjuster blocks should be gripped fully when the axle is torqued.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
And it's good enough for the Anvil Hire BSB superstock team, I feel safe now :mrgreen: Thanks to everyone who chimed in for putting me at ease
Yours looks well beyond the images posted of the Anvil by as much as 10mm or more.

If the issue is gearing, maybe a different combination of sprockets will work better.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yours looks well beyond the images posted of the Anvil by as much as 10mm or more.

If the issue is gearing, maybe a different combination of sprockets will work better.
Nope, it's pretty dam similar actually, I flipped my axle to get an apples to apples comparison and If I was 10mm or more off my alignment marks would be completely off the end of the swingarm.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Yes I did it, he recommended running 116 links and running the axle as far back as possible to reach the desired 602mm of swingarm length. I'm aware the chain will stretch, hence why I posed this question so that other people can weigh in. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to run 115 links, and running 114 puts me back in the middle of the adjustment range with my current gearing.
chain will stretch so must take out 3 links. No tech would let a bike go like that not because they know how to ride but because they know the dang chain stretches. Techs are great for tech stuff but not for riding stuff. Trust me on that. And don't look at what a pro does for advisement at what he may do won't equate to the meaning of riding at our level. Pros did one thing only for us: gave us the superbike. That is all. A market. That market gave us the super.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It looks unsafe but im prety sure kawasaki wouldnt make it like that unless it was safe.
The end of swingarm is rounded so all you need is a round spacer in reality but because the block is square it looks worse hanging out the end.
Personally i wouldnt run it like that without one of two options;
1 titanium adjuster bolts because standards have been known to buckle when out a long way.
Or 2 custom blocks that take up the space. I made some for my ge1 below

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
chain will stretch so must take out 3 links. No tech would let a bike go like that not because they know how to ride but because they know the dang chain stretches. Techs are great for tech stuff but not for riding stuff. Trust me on that. And don't look at what a pro does for advisement at what he may do won't equate to the meaning of riding at our level. Pros did one thing only for us: gave us the superbike. That is all. A market. That market gave us the super.
I fundamentally disagree. I want to do what the best in the world are doing, because if there was a better way they would do it. This is truly realized at the track, but can definitely translate into street riding as well.

OP knows his chain will stretch so his maintainence interval is shorter. Ride it with the wheel back that far and see how you like it and if it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts