Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 06 10r trackbike that has come time for suspension upgrade. I received an email ad the other day from the guy who set up my stock suspension a while back (ken at superbike suspension). he is offering an elka 3way and a 20mm piston kit for $999. my intention was to find some sort of package deal this off season, is this a good price? and/or is there a forum sponsor with as good or better deal ? i want to upgrade front and rear at the same time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did that price include the install of the fork valves? Pretty good price even if it doesn't thought.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that price include the install of the fork valves? Pretty good price even if it doesn't thought.
no, he is giving a $50 off coupon for install of piston kit. I would probably do the install local as opposed to sending my forks out. Also.."cartridge upgrade parts are extra". What else is needed besides the kit. Is the devil in the details?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Is the devil in the details?
Pretty much. I haven't been able to examine the Elka valves in detail, but they look like a high flow 3 port design on the compression side (some were between a stock Showa valve and a Racetech gold valve). Nothing really that special, the magic is the tuner who has experience with the valves and can make the forks feel great in the environment you ride in (like bumpy track, smooth tracks ect.). Wouldn't be my first choice, but I have heard that some tuners have been doing good work with them, it would be worth the extra $ if your going to do it.

Edit: I remember seeing this a while back, sounds like he has a lot of experience with them http://www.trackdaymag.com/Articles/Tested--Elka-20mm-Fork-Valves.aspx

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Elka has lotsa experience behind their product,actually they are in canada and i asked for a tour and it was approved...HEHEHE maybe ill get to see mine being made if i decied i need one..
I was given a $$ of about $900 i think just for the rear for a gen 3 alone...Went lookin for the email i got from them but i dumped it..LOL i pass their place on my way home through the provience of quebec

The piston kit fr their site is $225 cdn and a 3 way is $945 but add $200 more for remote preload adjuster..So "HELL YEAH",scoop that deal cause he aint makin much off it if you get those prices and $50 off piston install..
http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/42 shock
http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/46 piston kit..

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
i would ask for a complete price installed. i dont think the piston kit is including springs in the price, i could be wrong but thats something you need to verify. usually your looking at around 7-1200 for complete forks(cartridge kits/springs) depending on brand using your tubes, then the rear varies depending on brand of shock.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying a "clearance" ohlins from one of the site sponsors for 749 shipped. At the same time i took advantage of the $499 deal ohlins had going back in feb that included 20mm pistons, springs, installation and shipping. I did the last stt date at barber, i think it was 3/13. I had to tweak a little thru the day, but it felt pretty good by the last 2 or 3 sessions. I will be able to tweek some more in a couple weeks at nashville. I feel like i did pretty good though for front and back for $1250.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
yeah, thats a smoking deal there my friend. im running a ttx out back now, forks next.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
at the time i was going to buy the 25mm cart kit for the front but it was already discontinued. in hind sight though, i am glad it was because i think this piston kit with springs is going to work out just fine.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
who did the cartridge kit install? did you send your forks to ohlins in hendersonville,nc to get that deal? or someone local to you? thanks for the input...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah man , i sent them to ohlins. the deal was on their website. the only thing is the wait. i sent mine in right before the start of the season so it took about 3 or 4 weeks if i remember right.

·
Registered
541 Posts
yeah man , i sent them to ohlins. the deal was on their website. the only thing is the wait. i sent mine in right before the start of the season so it took about 3 or 4 weeks if i remember right.
Did they ask you a bunch of questions about your riding style, were you ride, weight ect.?

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey what "clearance" rear shock did you get? I just attempted the same deal with an Ohlins closeout rear shock for the same price and it's the wrong shock. Ohlins has their catalog screwed up and listed it for an 06-08. I'm sure we can all see the problem with that right there.

If it's a KA540 take a look at your swingarm under the preload adjuster.

Ooops---just saw that you have an 06' so nevermind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts