Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my battery was dead and I charged it up withe battery tender. The green lights up. I turn the bike on. Power is on. But when I went to start, the bike make loud click click click click. What is up with that? Is the battery dead? There's power tho.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your battery is toast.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When you try to start, does the cluster dim (brown out). Also, you might want to try and charge the battery with something with some more amps.

Right now, from what you stated, it does seem your battery is very depleted, maybe a damaged cell in the battery. If you have a voltmeter, check to see if you have 12+ volts. A good battery should have 12.5 to 13.5 volts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've answered this question quite a few times so I just copy annd pasted the answer.

If it was here at the shop ,I would test the battery(don't need to take it out of bike).First test tells me voltage if that is good then I enter battery type (MF) in this case and enter AH rating for this battery.Seeing how it's a YT12B-BS I'm guessing it's a 12AH (not at the shop right now to look this up)Enter 12AH the tester runs that test tell me either good and pass and percentage or bad replace.(Take the bike to your closest shop tell them to come out to the parking lot and test your battery.We don't charge to do this, don't see why anybody else would)

If the battery test good then I test the starter and starter relay.Find the starter relay(it's usually right by the battery)Positive lead(heavy gage red wire) comes off battery right to the relay.The other heavy gage black wire off the relay goes to the starter.Use a battery charger /boost starter.Connect negative lead of charger to battery negative.Connect Positive lead of charger to the Heavy gage black wire on the starter relay.Turn on charger set to boost charge(must be more than 12v 15 amp).You have just by passed relay.If starter turns over at good speed your starter good.

Lat most common thing is the starter relay.If both your battery and starter passed there test.Now test relay.Turn key on hit the starter button. listen to the relay if you hear a loud buzzing sound coming from it ,then your relay is bad.(Make sure you test starter as descried above first,as it too came make a buzzing sound when the brushes go bad)

Reactions: hellsrazor

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Battery was the problem. It would hold a voltage of 12.2volts. I didn't look inside, but the cell are probably dead because of attempting to start the bike 5-9 times, the battery was dead again. I'm just gonna buy a new battery.

Any good battery recommendation? Where is the best deals?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The best all purpose street battery is....Yuasa (When used with a Battery Tender you can get 5yrs reliable service) been there, done that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts