Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have been in a philosophy mood in the past few days. I have been thinking about why the ZX10-R has not seen the big sales numbers. To me, it makes sense why I do not see many ZX10-R's on the road. BMW took over all the Horsepower-Hogs. But Austrian Motojournalist and Amateur Racer(?) Matthias Meindl recently said something similar to: "the ZX10-R is a great racebike, if you have the pit crew that can set it up." He also said, he sees only few amateurs racing the ZX10-R, and does not know anybody that is truly quick on it.

Just to reiterate, he did not say it was a bad bike. He said he prefers the modified R1 over his modified Gen5. And his laptimes are better on the R1.

However, he heavily implies the ZX10-R is more difficult to set up for racing compared to other bikes.

This got me scratching my head. He mentioned the ZX10-R "bad for racing" stock geometry, and the R1's "bad for racing" stock brakes. But... if you want to become competitive, you'd have to sort out geometry and brakes anyways, don't you? I can't imagine amateur R1 racers are not experimenting with the geometry. I mean, I made progress with geometry experiments, and I am dumb.

So, why would an. R1 be "easier" to set up than a ZX10-R, or an RSV4 for that matter? I assumed the limiting factor for amateurs would be money. Maybe a bike would be cheaper to set up well, but easier?

Out of curiosity, what bikes do you see fast amateurs on? Is there a bias towards a bike?

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you have ever raced a motorcycle, you know that there are many levels of racing. I would think there are plenty fast amatuer racers on Zx10's. But the faster and faster you become, the more and more it becomes a set up and money game. Still a skill game but all the set up, the money and the skill comes into play. Hell, what do I know....I am a washed up, old Expert Motocrosser. But I just saw Josh Grant walk away with 1-1 moto wins in Mammoth Mountain 2021 in the Vet Pro class. He was out there killing it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched a few more videos of him, there was one point which I had not considered before: Regional support of the motorcycle.

The guy has an R1 set up by YART (Yamaha Austrian Racing Team). You can go to them as a customer, and they set up an R1 on a professional. AFAIK there is not the same regional support for the ZX10-R.

Plus, I believe there is a big language divide. When I began researching setups for the Gen4, I quickly found people mentioning it needs a raised rear shock. That was on english forums. Watching him and the german technicians, they had to figure it out from scratch. Over months, you see him struggle setting up the ZX10R's geometry, until he finally says: "Guys, you just need to raise the rear."

·
The Pace
7,139 Posts
All about the rider AND the bike. The perfect picture of this is Rossi, first riding a Yuck then the Duck. Duck failed him EVERY TIME, if I recall.

Much more involved as aging of riders changes reality and that infects ability, pro/con; plus perception of significant others (boss and tech and other support) plus newbs coming up sometimes produces a natural, like a Kenny Roberts that had no idea about riding but KNEW how to ride every POS bike handed him! lol!

Many are called to ride most excellent, but FEW chosen.

Much more; above frames it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts