Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having issues with my 09 zx10. Its died on me a couple times, wont start at times unless pop started. I've charged the battery for a couple hours and it ran fine. Stopped, shut engine off, it started but had to try a little harder than normal. Shut it off again 20 minutes later and it wouldnt start. My previous thread everyone said the rectifier is bad. Right now after the ride my battery is showing around 11 volts both when the bike is off and running. I've got it hooked to the charger to see if that changes any later. Shouldnt it be closer to 15? So now I'm wondering if its the battery or rectifier that is bad.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Or your stator is bad. Charge the battery to see if it will fully charge. If it fully charges you can rule out battery. Then, follow the directions in the Service Manual, can download it on here, and go from there. Too much voltage at stator means its the regulator/rectifier. If voltage is low its the stator. The service manual will tell/show you where and how to check this. You dont go by voltage at battery connection to check stator or rectifier.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
dude, its your stator. battery is obviously fine. if the running voltage is 11v your charging system is shot. it can also be a rectifier, but based purely on history, chances are its your stator. take the left side engine cover off and take a peek. the windings on the stator will look burnt

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled the rectifier off and went through the chart on 16-33 and all my readings are different than the chart. Its showing 1.75 with most combinations.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There should be 4 wires coming out of the stator, 3 white and 1 black, there should be about 7-7.5 volts AC coming out of each of the three of the white wires, if there is not then the stator is bad.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
There should be 4 wires coming out of the stator, 3 white and 1 black, there should be about 7-7.5 volts AC coming out of each of the three of the white wires, if there is not then the stator is bad.
This! Check the "alternator output voltage" which is done by connecting hand tester to the ALTERNATOR LEAD CONNECTOR. NOT the battery.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already bolted the cover back on, does it look normal??? Gonna check the rectifier with the meter again

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rectifier has to be bad, ordering a new one.

On page 16-33 of service manual it has a chart of what the readings should be. Mine are all over the place. Shows 1.75-2 for resistance in most combinations, never 3-11 like it shows it should be.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I already bolted the cover back on, does it look normal??? Gonna check the rectifier with the meter again
be careful when checking the rectifier....you could get false readings with some basic multimeters not putting out enough forward bias current(in diode mode) to take a good reading...just saying. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Also.....you checked your battery inline what does it read when disconnected?....you need to take your battery out and charge it so it's about 12V or higher...put the battery back in and take a reading it should now be at least the same when inline and bump up to at least 13v-14v when the bike is started...I haven't seen that you done that yet.:dontknow:

bloo

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah I had the battery out eariler charging. Showing about 12 ish when bike is off and on. Its hard to get an exact number, got the range on meter set at 50.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
\
believe the manual states somewhere around 44 Volts AC. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone chime in and lend an opinion? My 2009 is doing the same stuff....no charging at the battery. I pulled the plug from the altinator to the rectifier and tested for resistance....book says the range is 0.1 to 0.2 ohms...mine shows 0.4 ohms for all 3 leads....is that outta spec? Seems to me that its right about in range. I was expecting it to be waaaaay off the specified range if it was shot. But I don't have strong voltage at that plug when the motor is running....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rectifier has to be bad, ordering a new one.

On page 16-33 of service manual it has a chart of what the readings should be. Mine are all over the place. Shows 1.75-2 for resistance in most combinations, never 3-11 like it shows it should be.
Since your bike is still new, doesn't that fall under the Warranty of the bike? It should be free!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Stator is shot.. I had the same problem. They change it out to a 2010 stator. And no more problems... If u want change out ur battery..

..<Panda>..

·
Registered
4 Posts
regulator / rectifier

hi guys
im having issues with my bike too, its a 10 model. ive replaced my rr and getting low voltages from it when motor at 1000rpm. like 1.3 and .8, thinking it should be up around 12-14vdc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts