Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last few times I've been out on the bike, regardless of what gear I'm in, if I roll hard on the throttle the revs shoot up but the bike has no forward acceleration. It builds very gradually, but it doesn't haul ass like it used to. Depending on how fast I'm already going, sometimes it will rev all the way up and bounce off the rev limiter as it slowly builds speed. I'm guessing clutch,:dontknow: but need you guys expertise to assist me in the diagnosis.

Thanks!:eek:ccasion1

Riddick

·
Registered
151 Posts
thats defometly a clucth problem, how many miles on the bike? what oil are you using?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,499 Posts
:+1:

Sounds like your clutch is fried. Time for a new one.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
15,500 miles on the bike, running regular Kawchem oil. Already semi-replaced the clutch once cause part of the shift rod broke inside the clutch case. Thought I repaired it correctly, maybe my shade tree mechanic job is the culprit.:badteeth:

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Clutch forsure I just had the same problem replace it on Friday and the thing is a whole new bike! Ask Mary from superbike supply she'll hook ya up! Also I switched to rotella 5w 40 that shit is great! Shifts like butter

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would do 2 things before I assumed the clutch was shot. Check your clutch adjustment. Is there excess free play or not enough? Then for kicks I would do an oil change. If it still does it then, I'd say time for a new clutch.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I would do 2 things before I assumed the clutch was shot. Check your clutch adjustment. Is there excess free play or not enough? Then for kicks I would do an oil change. If it still does it then, I'd say time for a new clutch.
:+1:

I had this happen twice to me already. Once the adjustment cured the problem the other was a real clutch failure.

bloo

·
Registered
151 Posts
make sure you can fit a nickle between the clutch lever and perch before the lever starts to have tension on it

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
make sure you can fit a nickle between the clutch lever and perch before the lever starts to have tension on it
Well that could be my problem right there! I'll try loosening the pull some and see if that sorts things out. Thanks for the tip before I try shelling out $200, 6hrs of work, busted knuckles, and a 12 pack!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And of course my luck wouldn't allow it to be the easy fix. Just took her for about a 2 mile loop and still doing it. Guess I'll be saving up some funds and planning for a weekend full of cuss words and beer drinkin.:badteeth:

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
And of course my luck wouldn't allow it to be the easy fix. Just took her for about a 2 mile loop and still doing it. Guess I'll be saving up some funds and planning for a weekend full of cuss words and beer drinkin.:badteeth:
Don't sweat it clutch change out is a piece of cake I just did mine Friday and if you can change your oil you can do a clutch plus there's a good how-to with pic's on this site on page 2 at the bottom check it out if ya have any questions just ask:eek:ccasion1

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Well that could be my problem right there! I'll try loosening the pull some and see if that sorts things out. Thanks for the tip before I try shelling out $200, 6hrs of work, busted knuckles, and a 12 pack!

That's one thing I never do is mix alcohol with anything to do with my bike.

Whether it's riding it or working on it. Just don't want to take that chance on

messing something or me up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
mine was doing samething then it got so bad i couldnt even start it in gear took clutch cover off and my clutches wore broke i had 3 in tact still

·
Registered
447 Posts
good time for a hinson slipper in there.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's one thing I never do is mix alcohol with anything to do with my bike.

Whether it's riding it or working on it. Just don't want to take that chance on

messing something or me up.
In reality I just have a couple to calm the nerves of getting into something I don't commonly do. Usually no more than 3, and never enough to even get buzzed. I don't want to take that chance either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts