Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep blowing a fuse when I switch my HID HI's on. I've checked the connections and pretty much all that I could to my knowledge. The last thing I want to do is replace the 10A fuse with a 15A, I've heard of people that have done it but is it safe or can it be done?....

Enjoy the ride....

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,464 Posts
I have done it about 4 weeks ago,......I don't start the bike with hi beams on and have had no probs since!......I keep another 15a spare on me just in case though!.......

·
Registered
641 Posts
Gil, did you go pick up a 15a fuse and try it out yet?

Also, never ended up riding today other than hitting up my all employee annual party over in rancho santa fe about 5 miles away. May go for a rip tomorrow if you're down. Get back at me. We were down in your hood tonight in Mission valley area for dinner. Tried calling to see if it was cool to stop by but got no answer. Maybe you were too busy changing fuses on your bike in your garage?:crackup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gil, did you go pick up a 15a fuse and try it out yet?

Also, never ended up riding today other than hitting up my all employee annual party over in rancho santa fe about 5 miles away. May go for a rip tomorrow if you're down. Get back at me. We were down in your hood tonight in Mission valley area for dinner. Tried calling to see if it was cool to stop by but got no answer. Maybe you were too busy changing fuses on your bike in your garage?:crackup:
Picked up fuses but have not installed yet, will find out tomorrow...

·
Registered
29 Posts
How is the 15amp fuse working for you? I just got done installing the DDM/Apexcone HIDs. Had been testing it throughout installation. It worked like a charm every time I turned on one side only. The very first time I started it with both hi and low beams on, it blew the 10amp fuse. I installed the spare 15amp fuse, and as bodymanruss says, started it with just low beam on. A few seconds later, I turned on the hi beam as well and it worked. Just wanted to know how reliable yours has been with the 15amp fuse in place. Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is the 15amp fuse working for you? I just got done installing the DDM/Apexcone HIDs. Had been testing it throughout installation. It worked like a charm every time I turned on one side only. The very first time I started it with both hi and low beams on, it blew the 10amp fuse. I installed the spare 15amp fuse, and as bodymanruss says, started it with just low beam on. A few seconds later, I turned on the hi beam as well and it worked. Just wanted to know how reliable yours has been with the 15amp fuse in place. Thanks.
Its been a month now since I've been running with a 15 amp fuse and have had no problems. There have been several times where I've started the bike with high beams on and still no problems with fuse blowing or my seat catching on fire....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Its been a month now since I've been running with a 15 amp fuse and have had no problems. There have been several times where I've started the bike with high beams on and still no problems with fuse blowing or my seat catching on fire....
do you have the 35w or the 55w?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up an 05 10R and I believe it has the stock headlights...Anyhow, after leaving the dealer that was servicing the bike, I stopped to fuel up and happened to notice that I had no high or low beam...I rode back to the dealership and they told me the 10 fuse blew , so they replaced it with another 10, headlights came back on and I went on my way...About 15 mins down the road I noticed my blue high beam light was off (was riding with the high beams on during the day) , so I pulled over and sure enough the lights were out again...So i turned around, pissed off, and ripped back to the dealership...The tech guy took it back in to the shop, took some plastics off and started checking all the wires for a short...he couldnt find anything wrong, but it kept popping the 10 fuse when hed put one in...So he decided to put a 15 in and gave me an extra 15 to take with me...I rode off and haven't blown the 15 yet...Any idea what could be the problem here?? Is the 15 fuse the fix? Has this happened to any other Gen 1'S??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tha is indeed the fix. Same thing happened to me when I converted my Gen 1 ZX-10R's headlights to HIDs. I switched out the fuse to 15 amps and have been runnning without problems for almost two years now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
İ had the smae problem with my HİDs a few months back... Even thou İ put in a 15a fuse it would still blow. İt was actually a faulty HİD brain for the high beam, got it replaced and not a problem since. Kept the 15a fuse in anyway just to be on the safe side :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.