Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 ZX10 and am wondering if I can switch the IP from the cable ugly one to a nice new digital one. Anybody know if such a kit or process exists?? I am updating the bike the best I can and would really like to put a 'fresher' looking instrument panel on it...

thanks folks

Attachments

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
maybe possible BUT would take ALOT of work and trickery to get an digital tach/speedo to work on there man..unless you went with like a universal unit maybe? good idea though and still love the look of the ol' girl!! classic!!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Man that 10 is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, shes an old one but man she has power to spare. I am trying to get a bit of a more modern look to it but am having a really hard time finding anything to make her a bit more of a head turner.

Thanks for the replies, its appreciated....I am going to keep trying to find something/someway to move to a digital dash.... somehow it can be done I am sure....

I attached a pic with the new 4 into 1 with FMF Powercore on it, just put on about 3 weeks ago. Over the winter I am going to cut the can down by about 5 inches, change the rubber on it and add some red pinstripes to the rims, do something with the rear fender/plate holder, put a stage 3 carb kit in it and replace the K&N filter with the 'bulb' types along with taking the air box out.

I will post updates closer to spring as it is getting put away now....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I would personally leave her alone and just clean her up to look new. A bike like yours in great condition is extremely rare and I would cherish her the way she is. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Darren,
The instruments can be swapped out for a digital display; to go that route will cost you major time and money. I've seen it on a few ZX-10s on a few Japanese ZX-10 sites. I'll try to find the links and post them......

Btw, tell me the tires on your bike aren't Dunlop K455s.......If they are I suggest the first thing you do is put some fresh tires on your bike.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Darren, here's a couple of links to aftermarket gauges that could be used with your bike:

http://www.acewell-meter.com/
http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/
http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

If I were you, I would get the new gauge that you want, but don't change anything permanently. That bike is a clean example of a complete zx-10.

BTW none of the gauges that I listed are terribly expensive. I think that the Koso's get into the $500 range, but many of the others can be had for under $300.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the reason I love this site, you guys rock!!! Always willing to help out a squid is just fantastic. I search and search the net for stuff and when I cant find it I post a thread and have always gotten a vast amount of information!!

Burner, I am honestly not sure what the current tires are but they are coming off in the spring. They are 15 yrs old (bike was in storage for the last 14 yrs) and both have nails in them. At this point I will not be doing the swap up the the 180 tire....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice looking bike. If you ever need any motor related parts let me know. I used to run that motor in my race car and have some performance parts that I'll not be using having now switched to the 10R.

BTW, if you haven't run across it, here is an excellent site dedicated to the older zed models, and its loaded with lots of members that know that bike like the back of their hands.

www.bigbikeworld.com

Ted AKA dsrbldr on the other forum. Oh, and keep it about a half quart over full of oil. Those motors like to spit the #3 rod when oiling issues show up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Darren,
Curious as to what changed your mind about going ahead with the wheel swap......

·
Registered
214 Posts
Darren, just a heads up about switching to pod style air filters. I'm not familiar with what carburetors are on that bike, but if they are CV carbs, you may re-consider the removal of the airbox. At the very least, please hang on to the airbox until you get the bike running correctly after the switch. CV carbs are notorious for problematic running with pod filters. They need the buffering effect and vacuum created by the airbox for proper function. Also, a well designed airbox will resonate at a certain rpm, and if engineered well, this rpm will coincide with an otherwise flat spot in the motors natural power production. This serves to give a boost through the flat spot that will become apparent when the box is gone.

Yes, you will gain some horsepower at the top of the rpm range with pods, but you may sacrifice some low/midrange smoothness that will affect you in normal riding. After all that, your carbs may not be CV's. In which case, you can tune for pods relatively easy.

In closing, install the pods first, then work on the jetting. It will change with the pods. The Dynojet kit should address the jetting change. Good luck!

·
11,423 Posts
I'd still chop about 6" off that pipe....like yesterday.

·
11,423 Posts
Oh yeah. Have at the pipe, they're pretty easy to tune for, but the pods can give you some headaches at times.
:+1:...I remember running into a problem with my old GS1100 when i slapped pods on her, i brouht that fuker to Houston like 3-4 times to get it rejetted but they finally fixed whatever the probelm was? not 100% sure if it had CV carbs or not but it would sputter and spit like it was flooding out sometimes and even at speed!! use to drive me bonkers cause it would run fine until you twisted the throttle past a certain point too fast!! after i got it fixed....HOLD ON!!!:helmet:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darren,
Curious as to what changed your mind about going ahead with the wheel swap......
Sounds funny Burner but cash is an issue just like everybody else right now. I do intend to do the switch but not right now. I am putting a list together of the things I want to do to this bike and will hopefully chop away at it slowly. the instructions you sent me were crystal clear, I can get that done no problem.

My goal is to build a nice respectable bike with some nice mods and I want to do them myself. I dont want to devalue the bike but since I bought it and started to do some of the work myself I am kind of addicted to that feeling of being able to do some of this stuff on my own.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Darren, just a heads up about switching to pod style air filters. I'm not familiar with what carburetors are on that bike, but if they are CV carbs, you may re-consider the removal of the airbox. At the very least, please hang on to the airbox until you get the bike running correctly after the switch. CV carbs are notorious for problematic running with pod filters. They need the buffering effect and vacuum created by the airbox for proper function. Also, a well designed airbox will resonate at a certain rpm, and if engineered well, this rpm will coincide with an otherwise flat spot in the motors natural power production. This serves to give a boost through the flat spot that will become apparent when the box is gone.

Yes, you will gain some horsepower at the top of the rpm range with pods, but you may sacrifice some low/midrange smoothness that will affect you in normal riding. After all that, your carbs may not be CV's. In which case, you can tune for pods relatively easy.

In closing, install the pods first, then work on the jetting. It will change with the pods. The Dynojet kit should address the jetting change. Good luck!
k, I am talked into moving away from the pod style air filters. Too many negative comments about them creating flat spots in power...... scratch them off the list..... I am still jetting the carbs in the early spring...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Darren,
The $$$ issue makes sense, you have your priorities straight. The bike is a luxury so to speak; I respect and understand your decision.

Sharpright is on point concerning the pods; the airflow and resonance in the airbox will affect the HP/torque and how smooth it is, the pods will have a "rough" airflow so you will experience flat spots in your power curve.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
I would personally leave her alone and just clean her up to look new. A bike like yours in great condition is extremely rare and I would cherish her the way she is. Just my :2cents:
:+1:

thats a sweet sweet machine you have there...id enjoy it as is in all its glory

1 - 20 of 20 Posts