Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
+1. Any recommendation on this?

Hi guys

My ECU is on its way to Mr. Guhl right now but I have a some interrogations about the fuel maps he is offering.

What are they exactly and what purpose?

I do a lot of road riding and I plan to do something like 15 track days this year.

I would like a map that could smooth out the power curve and give more juice in the low end. But not paying a significantly higher price on gas. (I live in Canada with a ton of taxes on gas)

On the track, I am at intermediate level and don't need the most extreme configurations.

So what are your experiences with the Guhl's maps and what would you choose in my case?

Thanks

Christian

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,506 Posts
Hi guys

My ECU is on its way to Mr. Guhl right now but I have a some interrogations about the fuel maps he is offering.

What are they exactly and what purpose?

I do a lot of road riding and I plan to do something like 15 track days this year.

I would like a map that could smooth out the power curve and give more juice in the low end. But not paying a significantly higher price on gas. (I live in Canada with a ton of taxes on gas)

On the track, I am at intermediate level and don't need the most extreme configurations.

So what are your experiences with the Guhl's maps and what would you choose in my case?

Thanks

Christian
+1. Any recommendation on this?

If you're sending your ECU to Guhl, he will just load his generic fuel map onto it. He doesn't have multiple ones to choose from that I'm aware of. If you have data log info from your bike, or specific settings, he can load those. His generic map is a bit on the rich side, but runs really well throughout the range. There's just a bit of decel popping that you have to contend with. It can be easily corrected with a PCV or something else.

Either ZX10RArcher or zx-sik-r can do the same thing. If you've got the data specific to your bike, just let them know and they should be able to flash the values to the ECU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks SkyDork.

Much appreciated.

The generic map like you describe seems ok to me, if it is not too rich.

Here is a section of the email Don sent to me.

We also offer various fuel tunes, including a tune for the stock exhaust, so that a power commander may not be required. If you use one of our fuel maps, afterward, you may run the bike on a dyno and send the ECU and dyno Air/Fuel/RPM graphs back to have the fuel tune tweeked for your bike at no change (you just cover all shipping charges).

Christian

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the replied.

I don't think Imma get PCV or a dynotune for my bike for a while. So I guess Imma stuck with Guhl's generic map for a long time. Like you said, beside the map makes your bike runs a bit rich, are there other negative things to it? Sorry. I just wanna make sure and be on the safe side.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,506 Posts
Thanks SkyDork.

Much appreciated.

The generic map like you describe seems ok to me, if it is not too rich.

Here is a section of the email Don sent to me.

We also offer various fuel tunes, including a tune for the stock exhaust, so that a power commander may not be required. If you use one of our fuel maps, afterward, you may run the bike on a dyno and send the ECU and dyno Air/Fuel/RPM graphs back to have the fuel tune tweeked for your bike at no change (you just cover all shipping charges).

Christian
Thanks for the replied.

I don't think Imma get PCV or a dynotune for my bike for a while. So I guess Imma stuck with Guhl's generic map for a long time. Like you said, beside the map makes your bike runs a bit rich, are there other negative things to it? Sorry. I just wanna make sure and be on the safe side.
No, the generic map he offers is quite nice. As I said, it's a bit rich. Not enough to worry about fuel consumption-wise, but the KLEEN removal with some block-offs would be recommended. Otherwise, it pulls strong and smooth all the way through the range.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
x2 to everything Skydork said.

His map is a little rich but for good reason. Just as are the maps you'd download from Dynojet or an exhaust manufacturer that offers PCV maps for their exhaust.

Tuning is a process and one that's being done on a $12K+ machine. With all the things that can impact a tune (gas used, gas consistencies, environmental factors, etc) the last thing you want is to have your map you're giving out for free start to cause lean issues because the bike is being used in a different part of the country. Tuning on the rich side helps alleviate this concern somewhat.

These maps are good starting points and will be fine to run, but to really get the most out of it and your bike, the fueling needs to be tuned to suit your needs and the bike; either with a tuner or an autotune unit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
x2 to everything Skydork said.

His map is a little rich but for good reason. Just as are the maps you'd download from Dynojet or an exhaust manufacturer that offers PCV maps for their exhaust.

Tuning is a process and one that's being done on a $12K+ machine. With all the things that can impact a tune (gas used, gas consistencies, environmental factors, etc) the last thing you want is to have your map you're giving out for free start to cause lean issues because the bike is being used in a different part of the country. Tuning on the rich side helps alleviate this concern somewhat.

These maps are good starting points and will be fine to run, but to really get the most out of it and your bike, the fueling needs to be tuned to suit your needs and the bike; either with a tuner or an autotune unit.
Exactly why I didn't go with a Guhl flash. Its cheaper to have Archer or zx-sick do the flash and with the money saved get a custom tune specifically for your bike and mods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have some regrets. I should have come to the forum before sending my ECU to Mr. Guhl on the 8.

The ZX10rarcher reflash would have been perfect for me.

Christian

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,506 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,506 Posts
I have some regrets. I should have come to the forum before sending my ECU to Mr. Guhl on the 8.

The ZX10rarcher reflash would have been perfect for me.

Christian

Yes, but the bottom line is you'll have a reputable reflash for your bike and the end result will put a smile on your face. Don't worry too much about it. I'm very happy with my Guhl flash. But I did that long before the other guys offered their services.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, but the bottom line is you'll have a reputable reflash for your bike and the end result will put a smile on your face. Don't worry too much about it. I'm very happy with my Guhl flash. But I did that long before the other guys offered their services.

Good words SkyDork

I will remember reputable and smile on my face and I am looking forward from now on. Thanks.

I did the Yvan wire mod last year and my immediate impression then was that the bike was smoother and had more power in the low end. Despite the dyno charts I saw showing otherwise.

But strangely I went for a dyno test with a gang of friends just running for the torque and horsepower, no tuning. I was surprise that the peak for my bike was 152 hp and 155 for a friend's 10r. An hp4 did 165. I guess it was a deceptive dyno.

I had another friend with a GSXR1000 modified and dyno tuned did 155hp. But this very friend is doing 140km with a gas thank and me 200km. That is a huge difference.

That is the reason why I am enquiring about the fuel consumption with a custom map.

So now with the reflash there will be no mistakes. I am going to ride the real 10r. Yes.

Christian

·
Registered
112 Posts
How much?
Cost is the big one.

Also Guhl can remove the FI light if you ever decide to remove your Pair Valve. Woolich flashers can't. In response to that, I came up with a plug and play plug that will remove the FI light for the pair valve that I include with my flash for free.

Other than that we all change the same things and can add or change the same features (fuel cut, remove top speed limiter, adjust redline, etc, etc).

·
Registered
772 Posts
This is a flash I did this week,first pull is no flash,secondaries removed and graves slipon,second pull is my flash.bike has 25k miles

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Correct,and the bike was geared -1 +2 so there is prob 3-4 HP still left on the table
Wait a second.. something doesn't make sense here. After a custom tune, my bike dynoed at 172.65 and 72.83 BEFORE the flash and while I had the two bros shorty.

This bike is flashed AND graves AND this is ALL the improvement????? :dontknow: eh what do I know... you're the pro and all but just seems very little gain.

I haven't had her dynoed yet after the flash and AR pipe as I'm waiting to have Marc @ Factory Pro fit me into his schedule but I'll be pissed if I don't near 190 or more

21 - 40 of 69 Posts