Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing the wire mod real soon but a flash is definitely in the future. Is the Guhl the best way to go or are there equally good places or better ways to go about it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No, Guhl is no longer the best solution.

PM zx-sik-r and he will hook you up right. He flashed my ECU and did an awesome job. The process was easy and the communication he has with his customer is superb.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,389 Posts
No, Guhl is no longer the best solution.

PM zx-sik-r and he will hook you up right. He flashed my ECU and did an awesome job. The process was easy and the communication he has with his customer is superb.

Not necessarily true. It just depends on what you're looking for in the reflash.

Guhl is proven to work. There's no question about that. He does some things like lowering the fan turn on point, and the kleen air valve FI delete. He also has a basic fueling map he can add in. For $375, it's up to you to figure out if those are advantages over the others.

We have 2 forum sponsors that do this. ZX10RArcher and zx-sik-r both can reflash the ECU to derestrict them and can add a basic fuel map as well. They both use the Woolich flash hardware, which doesn't have some of the capabilities that Guhl does. The advantage here is both of them are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the Guhl option at this point. Both come highly recommended and you should do some research between the different prices and options they offer. But it will depend on what you're looking for from the reflash.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
381 Posts
^ agreed. If you're talking best then I assume money is no option. Guhl is the BEST, due to all the extra frills that come with the flash.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Cost is the big one.

Also Guhl can remove the FI light if you ever decide to remove your Pair Valve. Woolich flashers can't. In response to that, I came up with a plug and play plug that will remove the FI light for the pair valve that I include with my flash for free.

Other than that we all change the same things and can add or change the same features (fuel cut, remove top speed limiter, adjust redline, etc, etc).

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,389 Posts
Difference between Guhl and archer and zx-sik-r?

Cost is the big one.

Also Guhl can remove the FI light if you ever decide to remove your Pair Valve. Woolich flashers can't. In response to that, I came up with a plug and play plug that will remove the FI light for the pair valve that I include with my flash for free.

Other than that we all change the same things and can add or change the same features (fuel cut, remove top speed limiter, adjust redline, etc, etc).
Look in ZX10RArcher's subforum for the info. He's got it all spelled out in there.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=218786

·
Registered
772 Posts
Guhl can go above and beyond what we can,BUT it all depends on what you want in a flash and your purpose for the bike.the major downfall to Guhl flashes is that he locks your ECU meaning your married to him for future ECU needs.had a long talk with a friend today,he has a Guhl ECU and was unaware that Don locks the ECU,he tried to have his bike tuned with a local tuner using the log box pro and was furious when he discovered he couldn't tune through the ECU.

IMO,the woolich software will please the everyday street rider.the more advanced options Guhl is doing are more racer driven.as far as the pair valve..a simple resistor from RadioShack will take care of that pesky FI light...I've been doing it for years with zero issues

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
You don't even need a resistor. A piece of wire works as well. Its not checking resistance; it's checking for relative open. Or relative close. The resistance check listed in the manual is for the health of the pair valve itself. The bike could care less if its 22 ohms or 100.

As far as locking the ECU, there is an unlock ECU utility within the Woolich software that will unlock your friends ECU and he can use his LBP.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You don't even need a resistor. A piece of wire works as well. Its not checking resistance; it's checking for relative open. Or relative close. The resistance check listed in the manual is for the health of the pair valve itself. The bike could care less if its 22 ohms or 100.

As far as locking the ECU, there is an unlock ECU utility within the Woolich software that will unlock your friends ECU and he can use his LBP.
How many have you unlocked ? There's no guarantee you will be able to communicate with it,I never said it can't be done but the success rate is very small.as far as the pair valve goes it's always worked for me. I'm sure others will agree or disagree as well

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ahhh so refreshing to know my ecu was flashed by ZX10RArcher and see how well he knows his stuff. Money well spent and resource for life

:eek:ccasion1

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
I've unlocked 3... Tried 3. Mine on my salvage bike I bought at auction to build as a track bike, a friend's here locally and then the original I dumped last year when I first bought the Woolich kit and then gave that info the community showing what he did. Each time it was less than a 10 minute process... If that. Set it up, let it do its thing because it said it could take a while. I went about my business. Came back to check if there was any progress and it was done.

And yeah the resistor works... Its a closed circuit. The bike sees a closed circuit so it's happy. Like others have stated just shorting the connector works; wire, resistor, paper clip, staple. Its looking for a closed or open circuit; that's it. That's all my plug is. A latching connector with a shorting wire (resistance rating of .1 ohms).

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've unlocked 3... Tried 3. Mine on my salvage bike I bought at auction to build as a track bike, a friend's here locally and then the original I dumped last year when I first bought the Woolich kit and then gave that info the community showing what he did. Each time it was less than a 10 minute process... If that. Set it up, let it do its thing because it said it could take a while. I went about my business. Came back to check if there was any progress and it was done.

And yeah the resistor works... Its a closed circuit. The bike sees a closed circuit so it's happy. Like others have stated just shorting the connector works; wire, resistor, paper clip, staple. Its looking for a closed or open circuit; that's it. That's all my plug is. A latching connector with a shorting wire (resistance rating of .1 ohms).
Good deal,glad you've had success with it

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
GUHLS all the way no problems with my 2011 zx10r
if you feel like sending your money to a crook. Why even bother when someone is doing it for 1/6 the price. So your fan can come on a few degrees earlier? No thanks. Rather spend that 300$ on something that matters.

Archer all the way he did mine as well and she runs purty now. Im sure the other sponsor is well equipped as well. Anthony was deff a help with some other things though.:thumbsup:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,389 Posts
if you feel like sending your money to a crook. Why even bother when someone is doing it for 1/6 the price. So your fan can come on a few degrees earlier? No thanks. Rather spend that 300$ on something that matters.

Archer all the way he did mine as well and she runs purty now. Im sure the other sponsor is well equipped as well. Anthony was deff a help with some other things though.:thumbsup:
Crook? Where do you get that from? Not to take anything away from either of the members doing it, but Guhl pretty much helped pave the way for everyone else now with the Woolich stuff. He was the only game in town for a long time. It think it's way harsh to label him a crook.

There's a couple of other things that Guhl does in his reflash that the others can't. And his fuel mapping is a bit different. Whether or not that stuff is worth the extra cost is up for debate however.

In regards to the ECU locking, I'll let you know sometime next week when I unlock my Guhl reflashed ECU with my Woolich kit. :wink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I went with Guhl because he's in close proximity to me. And really, if I'm sending my ECU to be worked on, I want to know I can ride an hour and a half to get it fixed if there's issues. I'm not trying to take away from anyone else doing the flash, as I have no experience with then. But I'm extremely happy with Guhl. Both the performance and customer service. Plus I like the benefit of knowing I can go there and get him to specifically tune the flash if I want. Just my two pennies on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys

My ECU is on its way to Mr. Guhl right now but I have a some interrogations about the fuel maps he is offering.

What are they exactly and what purpose?

I do a lot of road riding and I plan to do something like 15 track days this year.

I would like a map that could smooth out the power curve and give more juice in the low end. But not paying a significantly higher price on gas. (I live in Canada with a ton of taxes on gas)

On the track, I am at intermediate level and don't need the most extreme configurations.

So what are your experiences with the Guhl's maps and what would you choose in my case?

Thanks

Christian

1 - 20 of 69 Posts