Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
I assume the answer is yes, just want to be sure, and/or if anyone has a better recommendation.

"Safe" is debatable. It's fine in any motor that uses glycol-based coolant as long as they don't screw up the ingredients again so it blocks up your radiator. That was a couple years ago tooth and I don't know of any recent recalls. I'm not a big fan of that stuff though and Water-Wetter is the better option. Unless you like that dark blue color.:wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Safe" is debatable. It's fine in any motor that uses glycol-based coolant as long as they don't screw up the ingredients again so it blocks up your radiator. That was a couple years ago tooth and I don't know of any recent recalls. I'm not a big fan of that stuff though and Water-Wetter is the better option. Unless you like that dark blue color.:wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, thanks. I didn't know that had happened with engine ice. Can you elaborate why waterwetter is better, is it simply because (and for good reason) engine ice messed up a batch a couple years ago?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Wow, thanks. I didn't know that had happened with engine ice. Can you elaborate why waterwetter is better, is it simply because (and for good reason) engine ice messed up a batch a couple years ago?

My brother used that Engine Ice is his 2007 ZX-6R track bike. He kept haven't overheating issues after less than 10 laps. It was traced to the clogged radiator. It was replaced by the company because of multiple problems using the stuff. It wasn't your typical "recall" of the stuff per say, but they acknowledged there was a problem and replaced the radiator on my brother's bike. I've never used it, but I don't trust the stuff.

I've used WaterWetter for almost two decades. It's been around a long time. It works good and is track approved. It is considerably more cost effective than Engine Ice as well.

The best coolant you can use is water. It disperses the heat much quicker than pretty much anything else. But water alone has drawbacks. It contains contaminants, reaches state-change quickly, and promotes corrosion. So all the coolants out there are additives for the water to extent the good parts of it.

WaterWetter is a surfactant. When water gets close to boiling, it creates micro air bubbles around the surface which causes a barrier to it. The surfactant is added to create up the bubbles and increases the effectiveness of the water and then lowers the engine temp. It also will provide lubricant to the moving parts in the cooling system and and provides corrosion protection. All the good traits of a coolant, but not necessarily a good anti-freeze. Keep that in mind. Take a gallon of distilled water, add in some cheap Water Wetter to it, and off you go. Just don't keep it in there in the winter time if the temps drop far below freezing. It's a coolant, not a good anti-freeze.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. Engine ice does everything waterwetter does and it's also an anti-freeze. My biggest concern is damaging the system over time with rust and corrosion, for which both products claim to have inhibitors that protect against it.

On the engine ice website FAQ, there is a question about visible particulate floating in the solution for which the answer/response is that is the anti-corrosion stuff that dissolves once the coolant is in the system (presumably due to heat/pressure). Does waterwetter have large chunks of "stuff" floating around in it (large being a relative term here - guessing like grains of sand)?

Is there anything special I need to do when flushing the system from OEM coolant to either brand? EI recommends using a 50/50 distilled water/vinegar mix and running the engine, then flush again with pure distilled. I've never used the water/vinegar mix before (always 100% distilled).

How often should I flush the system and replace with new, once a year for normal street riding/racing?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Good thread, this reminds me it's time to flush my old engine ice and replace with some new.....
I've been running engine ice in mine for a few years now and no issues as of yet.

What makes Water Wetter better than Engine Ice??

To the op's question about flushing, when I flushed mine in the past I used a mix of vinegar and distilled water like you mentioned. I'm sure you could get away with just using distilled water and running that threw a few time but I think the vinegar is beneficial in some way lol.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
To the op's question about flushing, when I flushed mine in the past I used a mix of vinegar and distilled water like you mentioned. I'm sure you could get away with just using distilled water and running that threw a few time but I think the vinegar is beneficial in some way lol.
White vinegar is definitely a good way to remove any gunk in the system if you're seriously concerned. Just make sure you flush the system cold. Vinegar at or near its boiling point can be extremely corrosive to metal. I think Heinz even sells a less acidic "cleaning white vinegar". Just make sure you add the recommended amount of distilled water to the mixture and flush with distilled water liberally. I imagine it will take more than one run of water to clear out all the vinegar. If you want to practice run vinegar through your coffee maker!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
The vinegar solution is for cleaning the system of any built-up debris or residual particles. If you're just changing coolant out, the only thing you need to flush out is the old coolant from all the orifices. That's done with distilled water by itself. Drain the old coolant, replace it with straight water, then drain that. Then you can leave the drain plug out and use the rest of you distilled water to run it through. No need to start the motor for any of that or let it sit. Just flush it out with straight water.

And no, there's no floating particles in the WaterWetter like in the Engine Ice.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
One advantage that Engine Ice has over Water Wetter is that Engine Ice is also an anti freeze. Distilled water and Water Wetter won't stop your coolant from turning to ice in the cold weather. Depending on your application, that may or may not be an issue.

I've used both on the street and can't tell any difference between the two nor have I had any problems for whatever that's worth.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Just go with OEM coolant. Safe & sound. This bike runs cool is isn't a heat box.

The OEM stuff isn't race track approved. It's not about running hotter or cooler. Since you bought a race bike that can't be ridden on a race track from the OEM, there has to be other alternatives.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I assume the answer is yes, just want to be sure, and/or if anyone has a better recommendation.
I have engine ice in my bike but I will mention that some track day orgs wont allow engine ice or Evans. For example N2 wont allow it in the advanced class I believe but SportbikeTrackTime will allow it. Water wetter is probably your best bet as far as being allowed in all classes for track days.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Just go with OEM coolant. Safe & sound. This bike runs cool is isn't a heat box.
Tracks won't allow it. Antifreeze (or glycol) is an oily substance (it lubricates some parts in addition to cooling). Some tracks allow mixes (engine ice) and some tracks won't (water wetter).

I recommend running Samco radiator tubes with any bike let alone any race bike. They'll keep the engine cool all day, even in traffic. It will help reduce deterioration of your system too when running these water based coolants. The cooler your fluid the less damage in the end. I'm not going to get into the science :lol:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Im bringing this back. I had a couple questions on this topic but didnt ask...but now with minor issues im gonna ask.

1. Can i mix engine ice with water wetter?

2. Does it help to add any regular green antifreeze to engine ice or more specifically water wetter?? Ive read of guys using just a little antifreeze along with water wetter for even better results.

Id need to do a flush and will probly replace the hoses while im at it and may check the impeller on the pump. I have a new container of the blue stuff sitting around though and would hate to just throw it out - im doing this to the 636 by the way which is a daily commuter so to me it wouldnt be a big deal to use the leftover engine ice, but ill start putting WW into the 10 from here on. Might just do a flush and use the new bottle of EI i have sitting here and mix distilled in to top it off just for the time being or for a summer. Thoughts?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Im bringing this back. I had a couple questions on this topic but didnt ask...but now with minor issues im gonna ask.

1. Can i mix engine ice with water wetter?

2. Does it help to add any regular green antifreeze to engine ice or more specifically water wetter?? Ive read of guys using just a little antifreeze along with water wetter for even better results.

Id need to do a flush and will probly replace the hoses while im at it and may check the impeller on the pump. I have a new container of the blue stuff sitting around though and would hate to just throw it out - im doing this to the 636 by the way which is a daily commuter so to me it wouldnt be a big deal to use the leftover engine ice, but ill start putting WW into the 10 from here on. Might just do a flush and use the new bottle of EI i have sitting here and mix distilled in to top it off just for the time being or for a summer. Thoughts?

Hey Capn. You can mix Engine Ice with Water Wetter, but that won't help with anything. Depends on your goals though.

Engine Ice is anti-freeze solution. Water Wetter is not. Water Wetter is track approved. Engine Ice may not be. If you're just running the bike on the street that is going to be ridden in areas that can freeze, then Engine Ice or regular anti-freeze is fine. Mixing stuff together won't help you with anything. I ride in FL where it doesn't freeze more than a couple days a year. So Water Wetter is fine for me. Mixing anti-freeze in with the WW even in small amounts won't make any noticeable difference and won't be track approved in that case either.

So I'd say, pick one and run it. If you're going to do the WW, and it freezes in the winter there, then swap the coolant every Fall/Spring. :wink:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hey Capn. You can mix Engine Ice with Water Wetter, but that won't help with anything. Depends on your goals though.

Engine Ice is anti-freeze solution. Water Wetter is not. Water Wetter is track approved. Engine Ice may not be. If you're just running the bike on the street that is going to be ridden in areas that can freeze, then Engine Ice or regular anti-freeze is fine. Mixing stuff together won't help you with anything. I ride in FL where it doesn't freeze more than a couple days a year. So Water Wetter is fine for me. Mixing anti-freeze in with the WW even in small amounts won't make any noticeable difference and won't be track approved in that case either.

So I'd say, pick one and run it. If you're going to do the WW, and it freezes in the winter there, then swap the coolant every Fall/Spring. :wink:

Thanks man. A bit of sloppy posting on my part as i had yet to do very much research and quickly found out that adding anything to EI is futile and the only thing that really 'works' with WW is WATER! lol So yea, im headed that way soon since i have a heated garage + insulated door for wintertime. I just have this half gal of the blue stuff sitting around though :confused:. Spent some time ciphering on it yesterday and came to this very conclusion but i appreciate your reply none the less and am all ears when you give advice :thumbsup:

Curious though if anyone has tried to use more WW just to try to get more effect? I know many of us have done the same with Seafoam just looking for some extra ju ju magic or something - doubling up or whatever. I know you could only put so much WW in before it doesnt have any effect any more. I swear i came across a guy on a SVT forum who said he mixes 50/50 WW/Water! Not that id try that, still makes me wonder though. Happy Friday SD!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts