Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
FB groups are killing forums. Sad, really, all FB groups have a life cycle.

FB group started
FB group active with real content and knowledge
FB group grows in popularity
FB group becomes dominated with sarcastic remarks mixed with good comments.
FB group becomes more memes and sarcastic comments
FB group essentially has no good content and anyone offering good advice has left
FB group is now nothing more than an entertainment group around the hobby it was started under
FB group is now totally useless and several hobby specific forums are dead.
FB Group becomes mostly site used for selling shit!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im here. I check in a few times a day. Your right man. When I saw this thread and saw who posted it, I immediately recognized the user name and already knew what your avatar was. You just kinda do actually get to know people. That's a good thing I think. It is deader than usual around here lately. My guess is that the other forms of social media have diverted people from forums other than strictly a source of information or help with problem solving. A shame really. I have met at least 20 members from here in person at track days or races. Its been great to be able to do that. To go 1000 miles from home and meet a perfect stranger that you feel as if you already know. Many of them willing to extend hospitalities to me just because of this forum and the relationships developed here. I would love to see that here again. I know it still exists here. Maybe just not as much as it used to.
agree with you 100%
Forums are dead all around the board. I'm a class 3 lurker and nobody knows me on any forum. but i am forever great full for all the knowledge people post. i always still check forums on a weekly basis. once and a blue moon ill post but its sad to see what forums have become.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
agree with you 100%
Forums are dead all around the board. I'm a class 3 lurker and nobody knows me on any forum. but i am forever great full for all the knowledge people post. i always still check forums on a weekly basis. once and a blue moon ill post but its sad to see what forums have become.
I want to echo your sentiments on the knowledge that people pass on. I have learned so much and saved countless dollars doing things myself. All because of forums. This forum especially.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Amen, there are some smart Mofos on here. But conversely, there are some dumb Mofos as well. Glad to be somewhere in between. Facebook is a place for pepole to boast and stroke each other. I like the pictures more than anything. I guess Insta gram is a good idea but for me, I rather like to be more invisible and not let everyone in the world know what I am doing every hour of the day.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
corporate:"lets update the software to make it 'better' and make it look cool that's what they want yeah! and it'll bring in more people!"

year later: "where are all the people?"

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
With all that said, I've relocated to the Columbus, Ohio area. Anybody on the forum in or around the area?

·
The Pace
6,988 Posts
I'm here. I don't come my much as the site is yet strongly driven by non riding trolls with many reward squares.

In a concise fashion, bike sites simply lose scope of their mission: to form a group of riders sharing ideas. Like politics, invasive species enter under cover of whatever and simply take over.

Very very very old. Read this for background:

The Prince Paperback – March 1, 2019
by Nicolo Machiavelli

Why sites all fail. Nothing new under the sun; and why governments fail. And why businesses fail. Except Disney knew all the above. Disney will never fail until Armageddon.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/walt-disney-mission-statement-4068544

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
With all that said, I've relocated to the Columbus, Ohio area. Anybody on the forum in or around the area?
Ive flown in and out of Columbus about 15 times in the last year. Been down around Lancaster mostly. Super nice area there. I really like it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ive flown in and out of Columbus about 15 times in the last year. Been down around Lancaster mostly. Super nice area there. I really like it.
I've got some friends in Lancaster. If you keep heading that way on 33 you get to Athens, where I was living.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
773 Posts
Hey, I have been a long time lurker and for a short while was trying to be active then in December riding got taken from me. When I came back I noticed that the forum was pretty much dead but I still pop back in daily just to see if anything new or interesting has been posted. Anyone else in the southern California area? Ortega rides are starting to call my name, just want to give my arm a lil while longer to heal, it hurts like hell when I twist the throttle too much right now

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
keep in mind that bikes nowadays are for the most part, pretty close to their performance potential out of the box and tinkering doesn't cut it anymore, you throw on an exhaust and flash the ecu and call it good. leads to boring forums.

so much is in the electronics and software now that hardware isn't really the go to anymore. you aren't modifying vehicles as much nowadays as you were 10 or 20 years ago, so there isn't as much to talk about. everything made nowadays is plug and play, nothing is really custom anymore.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think everyone bailed for the new BMW! LOL! (They will be back...)

Its a fad type thing I guess....

I was hoping to pick the collective brain for some data on Marchesini wheel dimensions, but its been nothing but crickets. Guess I have to do the work myself.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
773 Posts
my bike has the OEM Marchesini wheels and rotors that the RR has. what measurements do you need? hell I can probably just pull them from my owners manual if that helps. I probably should re read the entire thread since my memory is shit since my accident but nah, if I can help with what I have respond, if not...yup, let me know.
I think everyone bailed for the new BMW! LOL! (They will be back...)

Its a fad type thing I guess....

I was hoping to pick the collective brain for some data on Marchesini wheel dimensions, but its been nothing but crickets. Guess I have to do the work myself.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
773 Posts
these wheels are what I can help with, not the aftermarket but the kawi version if that makes a difference. Also can tell you that if your after a spare set, the BST carbon wheels are about 5 or 600 cheaper for the best offering they have and they are lighter. just priced them last week at the dealership

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m here. Only been a member a couple of weeks but have found while some people post. It is very quiet as a forum. The old Fireblade forum I was on was always active and constantly having new stuff put up. I know most of you guys are from good ol merica where as I’m from the greatest kingdom lol #usedtobegreatbritianbutnotnomore. So I can’t help with a lot of stuff but I’m alway an ear and will try to help where I can ?

·
Registered
216 Posts
keep in mind that bikes nowadays are for the most part, pretty close to their performance potential out of the box and tinkering doesn't cut it anymore, you throw on an exhaust and flash the ecu and call it good. leads to boring forums.

so much is in the electronics and software now that hardware isn't really the go to anymore. you aren't modifying vehicles as much nowadays as you were 10 or 20 years ago, so there isn't as much to talk about. everything made nowadays is plug and play, nothing is really custom anymore.
I'm not sure about that. How about some posts on weight reduction or adding data and cameras to the mean machines? I've got a 19RR and it's heavy in my mind. I wonder how light this machine could be a still be street legal?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 63 Posts