Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I bought a used pingel wheelie bar off ebay for 40 bucks, and thought Id give it a try. I figure why mess around with gear and a ton of seat time when you can use this instead!

Also does anybody run one of these now, if so how do you have it set up/installed. I plan on making my own brackets, I work in a machine shop so shouldnt be to hard

thanks

see ya

rev

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Its not cheating IMHO, unless the guy youre racing doesn't have one...

But from what I hear they wont really help you that much unless youre good already...:dontknow:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
No more cheating than the crap you see on Pinks.

Its an advantage yes, but I guess it isnt cheating so long as you run in a modified class ???????????

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I don't think its cheating. Its better than an extended swingarm anytime of the day. I'll be getting one soon.

Hill, where did you hear that it won't help unless you're good already?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your learning curve will be quicker with a bar . . .

Pro Street Legal Motorcycle rules !

Motorcycle Dynamics Racing.

Team WandL Racing.

PMR components.

Red, *<:){)-

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
1killer1liter said:
Hill, where did you hear that it won't help unless you're good already?
guess it was an assumption I made...

RR talkin smack that he'd run some dude w/ a wheelie bar...him w/out. I figured if he could claim that then you'd need alot more then a wheelie bar to get your times pretty low...:dontknow:

·
Registered
99 Posts
its not cheating. some times with bars you have to run in bar class and not with street bikes. depends on series i guess your racing with. they do work but it can slow bike a little. depends on lotsa things. if your heavy you cant just dump clutch and expect stock motor bike to pull off and go. ive seen 200 lb guys with bars go 1.50 60ft...and alot can do that with stock arm. it takes more bottom end power to get out of hole good. personally im not fan of them. pretty much on streetbike it doesnt mean you will go faster with them, like i said it depends on lotsa things. personally ill take longer arm anyday. they will make you consistent if you leave same everytime with 2 step.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
i would prefer extensions and a good tire anyday i wouldnt kill myself trying to put the wheelie bars on and off unless is gonna be strictly for drag racing only :dontknow: just my .02cents.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is a ton of chasis tuning you can do with a bar that you cant do with a clutch and throttle. You cannot run rear suspension with a bar.You can not run a bar on the streets of California. I know. I even had the dmv issue a trailer license plate to my bars. the chp laughed his ass off. He let me go with a warning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
revbbrc.com said:
Just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I bought a used pingel wheelie bar off ebay for 40 bucks, and thought Id give it a try. I figure why mess around with gear and a ton of seat time when you can use this instead!

Also does anybody run one of these now, if so how do you have it set up/installed. I plan on making my own brackets, I work in a machine shop so shouldnt be to hard

You might want to get in touch with Pingle.
If it was made as a bolt on for a 10 it prolly had a bracket that went in place of the shock and some of the linkage under the bike that gave the lower bars a place to mount to and the uper bars usually bolts to a braket that bolts behind the foot pegs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can start with this old starting set up.
With you bike in race set up and you on it have some one slide a 2x4 under the wheels and adjust so they just touch. It is just a starting place. Be damn sure to spend time making sure the bars are equal or the bike will launch out of balance as soon as the bars hit.
Here are some of the things you can adjust now for better or less hook up.
tire pressure---up or down
bar---up or down
Launch rpm---up or down
burn out---more or less
Front end --raise or lower
keeps lots of notes
and
remember
that as a tire wears down it losese it's grip and goes away and when you just cant get a tire to stick it may be because it just wont. You need a new tire.
Welcome to the world of serious drag racing.
Next is the need for more speed and that is spelled $$$$$$$

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
:spit: This thread is funny!!!:crackup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
i dont know how many times i have tripped over bars on other peoples bikes. there like magnet. i have skinned up both knees several times not paying attention. i ve even tripped on the bars of bikes that i was riding.

·
Registered
620 Posts
i personally wouldnt put a bar on a basuically stock zx10. but then again i've only ran at the track about 6times. i believe if you had a built ass bike then yea go ahead, but for basically stock bikes i will stick with my stock wheelbase. well to each his own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dont see it being cheating...if it helps how is it illegal, we might as well all run 1995 zx6r's and call it a day...wait...horrible idea. I'd say its on par with swing arm extensions...

·
Registered
57 Posts
20incher said:
Dont see it being cheating...if it helps how is it illegal, we might as well all run 1995 zx6r's and call it a day...wait...horrible idea. I'd say its on par with swing arm extensions...
Once you put a bar on a bike you can not run it on the street unless you take the bar off. The adjustments you make to the chasis are very unconfortable on the street. I would expect to see mid 1.30 60 foot time though if you add a sticky Micky and a new first gear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will post pic for sure once I get it installed for sure!! Im also in the process of regearing to -1/+2 setup plus a front strap. Going to make a bracket that lowers the rear of the bike then the bar is on to help out.......... Oh yeah I dont plan on running that set up on the street, But I am making it so it is removeable so its not a track only bike...

thanks for all the help and thoughts

later

rev

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let me restate what i ment, it was kinda late last night when i wrote my post. I dont think its cheating, i think its just another advantage. This is if your racing at the strip, on the street...is a different story of course.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts