Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing to buy a 04 or 05 zx10 and was wondering if a turbo bike is capable of being an every day rider?? Anything helps... i've heard of the turbos leaking oil no matter what brand you buy. Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am fixing to buy a 04 or 05 zx10 and was wondering if a turbo bike is capable of being an every day rider?? Anything helps... i've heard of the turbos leaking oil no matter what brand you buy. Thanks
If it is built buy some one who knows what they are doing it will run just fine and not leak any oil. If you are buying it used though I would be very catious. I mean the guy didn't put a turbo on it to baby it. Have someone who knows about turbo bikes check it over for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right, thank you so much roland and kirk, so i take it that typically the bottom end of the motor can handel a turbo that has been run at 6 boot for 2500 miles?? I have ridden eight years but never a turbo bike and dont want to get a lemon bike. ive heard that 6 pounds of boost is typical. I hope you dont get tired of me but what exactly is "mapping your bike at a dealership?" from my understanding it is simply getting your bike to run at peak performance. True?? do i NEED to do it with a turbo bike?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
"Mapping" has to do with setting up the air/fuel ratio that the engine sees. If this is not in the right range then there WILL be problems, and it's more critical in a turbo application because there is more load, more heat, more stress on everything.

Personally, if reliability is to be the main priority, I'd be looking at a stock bike or a near-stock bike, not one that has been modded, and certainly not one that has been turbo'ed. In no way does that imply that it can't be done reliably, it just means that you are potentially at the mercy of a single backyard mechanic with unknown qualifications, rather than a huge corporation with countless engineers in a huge R&D and testing department (the one that sent a bone-stock bike off the assembly line) ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you GoFaster. I'm gonna take this another direction. Anyone have experiance with racefit exhaust? The slashcut to be specific? On the race fit website they claim you dont have to have your bike re mapped; but at the same time they claim it does make the bike run "slightly more free" What is the best rouite here? My guess is get the exhuast put on then go get the fueling mapped.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you GoFaster. I'm gonna take this another direction. Anyone have experiance with racefit exhaust? The slashcut to be specific? On the race fit website they claim you dont have to have your bike re mapped; but at the same time they claim it does make the bike run "slightly more free" What is the best rouite here? My guess is get the exhuast put on then go get the fueling mapped.
You don't HAVE to wipe your butt after you poop, but I think you would want to. Something I keep in mind ever time I do a mod and then think do I have to.....?

·
Registered
601 Posts
right, thank you so much roland and kirk, so i take it that typically the bottom end of the motor can handel a turbo that has been run at 6 boot for 2500 miles?? I have ridden eight years but never a turbo bike and dont want to get a lemon bike. ive heard that 6 pounds of boost is typical. I hope you dont get tired of me but what exactly is "mapping your bike at a dealership?" from my understanding it is simply getting your bike to run at peak performance. True?? do i NEED to do it with a turbo bike?
From reading this I would have to agree with Go Fast and go with a stock bike instead of a turbo. Not saying it is a bad thing but you are obviously learning about how motorcycles really work and a turbo bike wouldn't be good for you right now unless you have a tuner/mechanic that you can really trust. The stock bike would be a great learning experience for you. You could start doing basic mods and work you way up to the harder stuff later on like say adding a turbo one day.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Exhaust systems generally won't affect the engine enough to affect reliability. In that sense, it's not a problem, BUT ... I think you'll find that the particular exhaust you are looking at, is unbelievably and obnoxiously LOUD, and will attract every cop in a 5 km radius, ticket book in hand. I normally leave everything related to noise, emissions, and safety (lighting and license plate mountings) stock or near-stock ... wayyyy less of the wrong kind of attention that way.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
start searching the forum and youll find my post all over the place. become familiar with the following terms; internal and external wastegates, turbo-types, fmu, air/fuel ratio, fuel pressure, pc3,boost pressure, oil scavenge and any other turbo related info you can find.
on another note, i found my previous turbo louder at idle rather cruising through town keeping it in the next highest gear, where it was almost as quiet as stock.
personally i wanted to get a turbo for several reasons; to run on larger bikes (ie chromed out "biker boyz" who think their stock gixxer is the fastest machine on the street),no2 is expendable while a turbo is always there, you rarely see turbo bikes at bike meetings and why buy a newer bike when you can upgrade to a turbo for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Turbo bikes do get alot of attention but the stupid questions some people ask can get to be a pain

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Turbo bikes do get alot of attention but the stupid questions some people ask can get to be a pain
thats for sure. the set-up vince sold me put me in the ball park for a more than dependable street ride. with a begi fmu, external pump, external tial wastegate and gt-28 bb turbo, im set! i just need an a/f metering system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts