Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of installing a power commander and as im taking a lot of the bike apart im thinking of changing the plugs, as as im doing that whether i should also add a block off plate?

Apart from the popping is there any reason to do it? Sorry a bit new with all this.

Also is there anything else I should do while i have it all off?

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
I personally don't like block off plates..
1: They're a pain in the butt to install/remove
2: I like the occasional popping and shooting flames when I so desire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As mentioned before, to get an accurate tune, you need to put in block off plates, or cap the stock plates ($0.10 option, and the one I went with).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. As im already in there i might as well do something. When it comes to jumping the valve cables to i just join them together? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. As im already in there i might as well do something. When it comes to jumping the valve cables to i just join them together? Thanks
Just cap each side of the smog plates on the cylinder head cover. 1/2”ish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This might help too.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
There's lots of ways to do this mod. Plug the breather line with a large marble. Hook the ports directly together. Plug each port individually. Or install block-off plates. The best way to go is the block-offs. It frees up some room by removing the tubing and creates a flat surface on the valve cover. It frees up some weight by removing those items also (not much). And you need to do this to give you accurate readings to tune it (as said already).

You can leave the air switching valve in if you want or jump it out. You need to do either or it will throw an FI code if it can't communicate to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes have to install if you are going to tune for racing. It is part of the process to get the most horsepower. I have a 2017 zx10r krt just got done with tuning. I have installed
Power commander 5
ECU flash by Ryan snitch racing
Graves racing block off plate's
Tuning and mapping by Htp performance
Taylor made full racing Exhaust
Total horse power at Rear wheel 198.8 on pump gas 93 Octane .

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes have to install if you are going to tune for racing. It is part of the process to get the most horsepower. I have a 2017 zx10r krt just got done with tuning. I have installed
Power commander 5
ECU flash by Ryan snitch racing
Graves racing block off plate's
Tuning and mapping by Htp performance
Taylor made full racing Exhaust
Total horse power at Rear wheel 198.8 on pump gas 93 Octane .
Yes but more simply... The dyno cant get a good A/F reading with this shit hooked up and therefore you'd get a lower reading with it hooked up as opposed to disconnecting it to get a true tune since its no longer messing with the dyno reading. I dont believe you can target a AFR with it hooked up.

I ran a tube across and zip tied it up. Didnt feel like spending money on plates. My crank case breather goes to a T that is part of the cross tube. Still pops but not as bad.

Reactions: gaz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse but the block off plate is mainly needed for tuning. It's part of emissions crap put on the bike. The pair valve feeds fresh air from the air box down into the exhaust. This is supposed to help burn more of the left over vapors before exiting the tailpipe. Well, on the dyno, the sniffer hooked to the tailpipe would get false readings because it's not only reading what's coming out the exhaust port of the engine but also some mixed air from the air box. This would make tuning a crap shoot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! Managed to get some block off plates cheap. Not going to tune straight away but while everything is off so might was well do it.

Just to confirm with the electrics, I can just join the 2 wires together and this will remove the FI code? Prefer to remove everything if im down there ?

Its a new bike to me so really looking forward to take it apart and have a play

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well im missing a couple of knuckles and about a litre of blood but finally added the block off plates, jumped the cable and changed all the spark plugs.

One question - do you try and put that rubber liner back or just rip it out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Put CR9EKs give a slight bump in compression. Do as suggested, run a tube between both plates and tune. Then T off the stock plates to the crankcase. 2hp for pennies.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Well im missing a couple of knuckles and about a litre of blood but finally added the block off plates, jumped the cable and changed all the spark plugs.

One question - do you try and put that rubber liner back or just rip it out?
Told you they'd be a pain lmao. Invest in a mini ratchet and a 4 or 5mm mini hex bit attachment (I forget what size it is). It will make the job (I kid you not) 10x easier on any bike because the forward most bolts are a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Told you they'd be a pain lmao. Invest in a mini ratchet and a 4 or 5mm mini hex bit attachment (I forget what size it is). It will make the job (I kid you not) 10x easier on any bike because the forward most bolts are a pain in the rear.
Having the right tools for Japanese bikes makes all the difference in the world. A premium set of ratcheting/swiveling combo wrenches and 1/4 drive ratchets with u-joints, extensions, etc will save you so much time and blood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know if i should say this... but on my latest times tunning bazzaz or pc5 that i did this, i mean disconnecting the tube from the airbox and block both tube and airbox, either bike runs too bad and the o2 sensor gets stuck on 16.6 all across the map... it's like the exhaust got full of unburned fuel... when i unplugged the o2 sensor from the exhaust it is dark... than i put back the tube connected to the airbox and the o2 sensor starts working normally and the bike gets its power back on...

Don't know if anyone has ever experienced this or just ignore it...

What i have seen is that the pair valve is only working on the low revs when tps is negative, the reversion zone... so the way pair valve can affect tunning is by far too small.. but that is just my opinion...

Someone correct me if i am wrong...

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
In short, unless you are installing a full exhaust system and are having the bike tuned...
Don't bother with it.
But, you will need to do so if installing full exhaust to be tuned properly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts