Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Filmed and produced by Marcel Irnie.
www.irnieracing.com

-Calgary Parts Canada Superbike National 2009.
-Racer interviews, and Irnie's weekend of stress.

Part 1: http://vimeo.com/5629747 :helmet:
Part 2: http://vimeo.com/5656859 :)

Irnie able to overcome mechanical setbacks
Published: July 09, 2009, Kelowna Capital News

Despite running into mechanical problems with both of his superbikes, West Kelowna’s Marcel Irnie managed a second place finish in the Amateur Sport Bike Class earlier this month at the Race City track in Calgary.

The race was the third round of the Parts Canada Superbike National Championship Series.

Irnie was involved in a race-long battle with Quebec’s Sebastian Tremblay before passing Tremblay on the last corner on the last lap to take second place.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better result,” said Irnie.

“What a great way to end a very difficult weekend.”

Both of Irnie’s bikes were giving him issues although he managed to move up from the fifth spot that he qualified in to the second place finish.

Superbike racing takes place on a paved road course of approximately 3.5 km, with straights connecting tight and long corners.

Superbikes reach speeds up to 290 km/hr.

Irnie plans to contest the remaining events of the Parts Canada Superbike series including Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia in August and Shannonville, Ont., in September.

The local rider currently rides as an independent racer but is hoping to get some solid results nationally to attract the attention of a factory team.

“If I can get two wins in Eastern Canada I will have a better chance of obtaining a factory Canadian ride,” he said.

“However, if I don’t find a ride in Canada, I might try to find my way into a USA race team.”

Team Irnie Racing is supported by several local sponsors including AMSOIL Synthetics, ARROW Truck Caps, Magna-Tech Services Ltd., Munro-Cylinder Heads, TyrSox Tire Warmers, Valley Motor Sport and Kreater Customs.

You can find more on his web site at www.irnieracing.com.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I wish I would have had an opportunity to come down for that. I was house boating out in the Shuswap though :D

Are you racing in any of the remaining rounds with the CMRA?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yeah its definitely a rough place. The only spot that really bugs me is coming up that little hill and through 9. I fucking hate those patches just after you crest the hill, they're going to make me crash one of these days. My suspension is way too stiff to continue mashing through those if someone is already on the inside line.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah its definitely a rough place. The only spot that really bugs me is coming up that little hill and through 9. I fucking hate those patches just after you crest the hill, they're going to make me crash one of these days. My suspension is way too stiff to continue mashing through those if someone is already on the inside line.

Yah.. corner 7 at Shubi (AMP) is dangerous. The smooth line between bumps as your rise the crest is so small. Like 4-6 inches you must hit.. if you miss.. you smash bumps, and could end up in the forest. i'm serious.. the forest.

In 2008, I flew off the track at corner 10. The last corner to the finish. Blind rising left up and over the hill. I wanted to pass a slower rider in front, and he screwed his line up i guess in the corner as you can't see the exit., when I was a foot behind him.. he let of the gas, and I had to put my feet down to avoid rear ending him. I flew off the edge down into the grass below. I was lucky.

I wish the Canadian national skipped Shubi next year.. however it is already confirmed.. doh!
It is simply too dangerous of a track to race. Several people were badly injured including a Helicopter removal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts