Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
First things first I love this forum Such great info. and very entertaining...

Ok I have an observation/question I recently returned from visting Daytona (BiketoberFest) and I went with four other guys who all had Harleys (not that this is really relevant) Well on Monday after the weekends entertainments we are all faced with a 450 mile return trip to Atlanta.(Bike was awesome on this trip Fyi)
Now to me that's a long days riding especially on a SportBike , 3 of the guys don their iPods which I truly understand as we have a 7 hour ride But I just couldn't bring myself to do it.... somehow, to me, I cant ride my 10 and listen to my Mp3 player Now maybe its me but I really don't feel totally in control when I have the distraction of music.... Am I out there or is this something other people feel??

Can you, and do you, ride the 10 listening to your iPod and feel comfortable?? :dontknow:

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
I haven't listened to music while riding in a good long while. I always stuff some earplugs in and hit the road. I've actually been thinking about getting some music going again, but only through one ear. Surprisingly, I listen to music all the time. Just not when riding.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Do it all the time. Short trips, long trips, whatever usually. But I also usually turn it off when in town to be totally alert for cagers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
when i started using my iPod when i was riding the track, my times got faster probably cause im more focused on the track, will not track-day, race without it!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
outside of the city I ride with the ipod playing.
inside the city I don't even carry it with me.
when I do listen to it,it's turned up to a comfortable volume,so I can hear the traffic around me,and listen to the engine for strange noises.
it helps on long trips to keep me somewhat focused on the task ahead.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would listen to the MP3 player for longer commuting rides, esp. when most of the trip is straight highways or city (stop-and-go) traffic. On "fun" days when I was just riding for pleasure on twisty roads, I wouldnt though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I hate to ride without mine...I was dead set against it until I went on a trip with it. That ended up being one awesome ride.From that day on ive been riding with my pod.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I always use my ipod except for the track. I have some $10 speakers velcro-ed in my helmet and I use a Radio Shack volume control. Works great since I can turn it down when I need to

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I love listening to my engine and exhaust note, So I wouldnt use an Ipod while riding. I have even caught myself huming the engine note along with the sound of the engine while hitting up some twisties :redface:

How wierd am I? :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i use my i pod all the time...help me think about my riding more than other crap going on and especially for a long ride i always wear the i pod....but sometimes if you just use the earplugs its actually really nice and soothing...i actually ride faster cuz i cant hear the engine wind

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I love listening to my engine and exhaust note, So I wouldnt use an Ipod while riding. I have even caught myself huming the engine note along with the sound of the engine while hitting up some twisties :redface:

pretty weird man! hahaha jk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ride with em on most of the time..Volume @ comfortable level so I can hear emergency vehicles & other sounds around me

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ipod

I switch from my shuffle and regular iPod. When first learned about riding with it I thought it would be too dangerous. However after riding with them I was hooked. The one precaution that I do take is using just one ear plug. I can enjoy the music and still hear outside sounds somewhat?

Stay alert and enjoy the ride:thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts

Not weird at all.The exhaust note is the sweetest music to my ears also. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
266 Posts
My dad used headphones for awhile. He felt in control still. One day he was riding and not paying as close attention to the road and a semi turned in front of him. He ended up sliding perpendicular and going in between the axles on the trailer. He has never felt completely comfortable since. I rode with an ipod in when I had my 500r and wasn't paying as close attention as I usually would. I wrecked my bike as well. No more headphones for us...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Short trips I normally don't. When I'm going to be on the bike for longer then 20 minutes I do.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,093 Posts
Im not set against them but I have some hearing damage now, for a trip of any lenght I actually use ear plugs to block out noise.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts