Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Good read .......May be a winter project.
Where do I buy and how much? It seems BD has those as well as many of you other riders.
Chime In. I could sell those to the wife through safety and Gas Mil.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
interesting. Ceramic material is better for a lot of things.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
Good read .......May be a winter project.
Where do I buy and how much? It seems BD has those as well as many of you other riders.
Chime In. I could sell those to the wife through safety and Gas Mil.
i don't have ceramics due to the info i gathered from bearing retailers suggesting i don't use them in my application (wheels) because the bearing would be subject to constant blunt forces from travel on public roadways which has the potential to damage the bearing. The recomendation from the retailers was to use the none-contact rubber sealed steel bearings i currently have. I dunno if the cost of ceramics (in wheels) is necessarily the most cost effective way to go. SO many choices.

BD

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
You gotta love the way information is passed around on the forum! Good find!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Are you kidding BD. I used to work for a company that used ceramic bearing. We ha ones about the roundness of a half dollar, you could take them and throw them as hard as you could against a wall and they would not do a thing.

On the rockwell hardness level the only thing harder than a ceramic bearing is a diamond. NASCAR has been using these type of bearing in the cam journals of the race cars for years now.

If I just had some extra money laying around I might do them, along with the CF belly pan and fenders.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
sneaky said:
Are you kidding BD. I used to work for a company that used ceramic bearing. We had ones about the roundness of a half dollar, you could take them and throw them as hard as you could against a wall and they would not do a thing.

On the rockwell hardness level the only thing harder than a ceramic bearing is a diamond. NASCAR has been using these type of bearing in the cam journals of the race cars for years now.

If I just had some extra money laying around I might do them, along with the CF belly pan and fenders.
No i'm not kidding!! i'm sharing the feedback i received from retailers when i called them and engaged in conversation with them AND trust me i was dead set on purchasing the ceramics beforehand and any of them could have easily made a 'sale' in 2sec BUT instead the salespersons enquired about my application and the conversation ensued...........

Now it must be said using them for an internal application is far different than our wheels where there is no shock loads......meaning internal motor application such as NASCRAP cam journals, cranks, trannys etc, etc in numerous vehicles was said to be acceptable.

Hey don't shoot the messenger guys cuz far be it from me to say/suggest don't do it with my limited knowledge/experience on the subject. I simply chose the safer route based on the feedback i received.

BD

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Good read and thanks for the knowledge BD.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
What could you gain from the Engine if you were to use these through out the engine?

Would cost alot but was kind of curious. Way out of my league money wise but just kinda curious.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
sgtusmc96 said:
What could you gain from the Engine if you were to use these through out the engine?

Would cost alot but was kind of curious. Way out of my league money wise but just kinda curious.
Basically the motor would spin up quicker and more than likely be smoother @ all RPM's. Theres a 3 bearing kit available for the motor.

http://www.cyclecat.com/CeberaApplications01-01.htm

BD

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Thanks BD

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also due to less friction the engine will lose less power at the crank. Which should translate to more power at the wheels. Most 4 stroke engines lose about 11 to 15% of it's power to mechanical friction, and pumping. That's one of the main reasons 2 strokes engines make way more power to a equal capacity 4 stroke. 2 strokes don't have a valve train stealing power. Also there is less pumping loss because the exhaust port is always open giving the cylinder pressure some where to go. I'm not sure how much power loss these bearings will save, but when I rebuild my engine they are going in. Every little bit adds up.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Don't blame ya SP :mrgreen:

Heck a 1051 kit along with squaring up the head/cylinder and a bearing kit and a little part balancing would be an exciting package f'sho.

BD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts