Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Zx10r with a graves slip-on and K&N air filter. I recently did the wire mod and bike runs awesome!

Just the pass weekend the bike started fine, went to gas station and when I restarted the bike my FI came on. Killed bike and restarted fine. It never comes on while riding. It only randomly comes on only when you crank the bike and also the bike seems to rev slightly like if I turned the throttle as I start the bike, but comes back to a normal idle. I can kill the bike and it will restart fine.

Any ideas please? Funny thing is now that I read how to read the FI code I can not get it to duplicate the problem again. The bike still has the exhaust servo motor but no cable on it. I haven't changed anything but did the wire mod a month ago.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Pull the code when it does it again and go from there. Do you have a service manual?

Sent via iPhone

·
Registered
131 Posts
This might not be your issue but when I removed my exhaust servo cables I turned the motor to far which caused it to click inside and now my FI would intermittently turn on and off. I took it off and getting the servo buddy shortly.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mine would get an FI light on first start of the day every time until I changed batteries to a Shorai 14 amp-hour. Never had the problem again after that. Stock Yuasa is too small and very weak, these bikes electronics are very sensitive to low voltage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like Kruz said its the battery, I experienced the same thing but just dealt with until the battery started to die sporadically. I upgraded to a ballistic 8 cell and never had the FI light again.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Are any of you experiencing this with the ABS Model? It has a bigger battery than NON-ABS. 18k miles on my Gen4 ABS and no issues

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok my bike is a non abs model. Also pulled the code when it finally came on. Its code 39. Whats FI code 39?

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Check Garth285.com and click on Gen 4 service manual...I'd tell you what the code is but am not around my book right now

Sent via iPhone

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a list online and it says its a ecu communication error. Ive changed nothing after the wire mod. Its been about a month. It never comes on while riding. Only comes on when I start it interrmittedly. If that error code is correct all I can think of is maybe I need to put more tape around the ecu wire harness. Maybe signal is interfering? Could a low battery do this code also?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Could a low battery do this code also?
That's a distinct possibility, without an adequate reference voltage signal to the ECU it could give you that code.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Had this same issue at the beginning of the riding season so I put the battery tender on it for a while and it hasn't happened since

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Try the new battery, how old is your old one? I'd test the theory by charging it overnight and see if she'll start without throwing a code. If it doesn't throw the code right off the charger, you've found your problem.

Shorai has much greater cranking open circuit voltage, about 14.5 V vs about 12.6 V or less on an OEM, so I'd go that route plus you save several pounds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a way to test the battery? I checked it with a volt meter and it was around 12.15 volts. I checked the harness where I performed tge wire mod and it is taped up good and was the correct wire. Just eliminating that.

If it was the battery would it cause it to rev up to about 1500-2000rpm for about 2 seconds
when the fi light does come on?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a question here; The battery really doesn't charge unless the bike is over a certain RPM, correct? if so, when I finally got the FI to come on by cranking and killing it and just kept restarting it seemed to throw the light more often.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's probably your battery. My 2012 did the same thing and when i tested the battery it read 12.1. Put it on a tender and never had the problem again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts