Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been haveing a intermittant starting issue where bike starts fine most of the time, then after riding it a bit or trying to just start it multiple times it would ack like they was a short somewhere or battery was dead. Gauges would go blank and rest and it would turn over slow. Also very next time tried to start it it would start up fine. tried all the usual stuff, had battery tested - ok, switches, kickstand switch ect. All seemed good,
On My bike turned out that the starter was bad. Apparently had a band winding or something, eventully burnt out. So if you have this issue thats what i would have check and or have replaced. You can buy replacement parts to rebuild it yourself at ronayers.com or most any place that sell oem parts or have a it rebuilt at a local alternator shop. Also can get used ones off ebay....Cause new ones go for about 335 + dallors. Hope this hepls someone

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Been haveing a intermittant starting issue where bike starts fine most of the time, then after riding it a bit or trying to just start it multiple times it would ack like they was a short somewhere or battery was dead. Gauges would go blank and rest and it would turn over slow. Also very next time tried to start it it would start up fine. tried all the usual stuff, had battery tested - ok, switches, kickstand switch ect. All seemed good,
On My bike turned out that the starter was bad. Apparently had a band winding or something, eventully burnt out. So if you have this issue thats what i would have check and or have replaced. You can buy replacement parts to rebuild it yourself at ronayers.com or most any place that sell oem parts or have a it rebuilt at a local alternator shop. Also can get used ones off ebay....Cause new ones go for about 335 + dallors. Hope this hepls someone
It does ..I woulda definately checked that or the tip ovver sensor ..For sure ...except the slow turnover screamed volt regulator or starter:mrgreen::thumbsup::mrgreen:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah mine started at around 12-15k. Have 24k on it now. After checking everything firgured it was a problem with the stator or starter... Starter finally started smoking one day while starting it up. Its a pain to get to too. Have to remove right side plastics, tank, airbox, and hose off of thermostat housing to grt to it.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
yeah mine started at around 12-15k. Have 24k on it now. After checking everything firgured it was a problem with the stator or starter... Starter finally started smoking one day while starting it up. Its a pain to get to too. Have to remove right side plastics, tank, airbox, and hose off of thermostat housing to grt to it.
Well heck ..Bet i could get to mine right now ,, hehehe

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
5K miles .. Do you have HID's and alarm? If not your Volt reg could be loose. Your frame ground (Earth Ground) may be oxidized and losing continuity ...
Nope nothing, figured it's a stock original battery, 5 years old, the bike has never been started that much with that many miles. It always does it when it's cold, if you hold the starter button it would start eventually, but if you let up and press again, it starts right away, if you don't it sounds like a very high comp big block with a stock starter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts