Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm putting her back to stock today in preparation for selling her (possible '08 on the horizon? I think so!) and before yanking the Sato full system I start her up and let her run a bit just to enjoy the sound. Afterwards, I pull the Penske and drop the stock shock in then attack the exhaust system.

To make a short story long, I put the stock exhaust back on, attached the exhaust valve cables and tried to start her. Well, she ran for about 3 seconds then died - now, I was very low on fuel and I figured she finally ran out. So I dropped a gallon in and still no joy, though she backfired once. Finally, I pulled the Power Commander off so she's 100% stock now and still won't start. She turns over fine, the fuel pump makes all the right noises and I check all the fuses. Also, when turning over a fine, unburned mist comes from the exhaust.

It sounds like there is no spark - no popping or attempt to start at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
230 Posts
maybe the cables are on backwards, although i dont think that would be a reason to not start.

diagnose step by step. start by taking the exhaust off, start it, if it doesnt work then move on to something else that you may have messed with.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
exhaust butterfly may have seized up in closed posi. Take the seat off so you can see the actuator & check if it is cycling when you turn on

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuses checked (see 1st post) and I re-disconnected the exhaust butterfly so it stays open (the servo is moving though), still no joy.

As for re-checking everything, I pretty much did that and all connections are good.

The truly strange part is that this happened after changing out the exhaust - no other components involved and it was running fine before that.

Could it be flooded? If so, how do you un-flood a FI bike?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gawd I hope not, though I do have the extended warranty so if I can't find the problem it'll still get fixed free.

Still, where would the short come from all of a sudden like that?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Are you running iridium plugs? They foul up really easy. Happened to a friend's 07 10r. Same mist and occasional pop. New plugs fixed it right up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
FI light on? Do you have a service manual?
You've apparently checked for fuel and have it. The next old-school step would be check for spark. I ask about the FI light and manual, because you can put your bike in "Diagnostic mode" and see if it's throwing any faults. Your manual will tell you how to do it, and it involves counting your FI light blinking.
I guess you could also re-install your Sato, and see if it runs with it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stock plugs, only 3k miles on them (and the bike). I was really hoping to avoid pulling the plugs - we'll see, I'm going to try finding the 'diagnostic mode' thing in the manual, see if I can gather any more info.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Any update? get it started??

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope - I'm still mulling whether or not I should bother with more in depth study or just warranty it. I'm leaning towards warranty.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't figured out how to get into diagnostic mode yet lol! Main fuse is good - it cranks but no spark.

I'm going to use the warranty, for sure - at this point I'm completely lost!

As for where I've been, I just got tired of not being able to have a reasonable discussion about racing here so I kinda faded. No big.

·
Registered
113 Posts
your plugs are fouled. it happens all the time to me. pull the plugs and either clean them or replace them. but, the reason they fouled is that your getting to much fuel at start up. that may be a problem the dealer can fix. are you running a pciii?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figured the same thing leemille, but the PC III was removed so it's completely stock at the moment. I had a flash of insight last night that I need to check out today, take one last shot at fixing it myself. Will post an update if I can.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dead horse brought back to life - cam position sensor needed fixing, extended warranty took care of it, bike runs fine now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts