Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to start a controversial EARL thread, but I found something interesting reguarding Shell brand Rotella oils...It seems that alot of motorcycle riders that have familiarized themselves with oil specs have found Rotella to work very well in their motorcycles...Here is an email from a Rotella engineer that I found on the Shell forums...Anyway, thought you guys may find it interesting.

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products."

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
...and how is the Rotella compared to Amsoil or the other synthetics...?

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
I use Rotella T dino 15w-40 because it was recommended here on this forum. Excellent advice I took I'd say. Just another reason I think this site is the best in the land. :thumbsup:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
I used Rotella T (5-40) syn. last weekend at Buttonwillow. No slipage, temp. is the same and smooth shifting. Drain Fade pointed the way,THANKS..:thumbsup:.So now I use it on my 10 & ZX6R and don't forget the "SUPER TECH." filter at Walmart too, oil change at $20.00 total:cool: I'm not here to endorse anything, just letting you guys know what I use.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I used Rotella T (5-40) syn. last weekend at Buttonwillow. No slipage, temp. is the same and smooth shifting. Drain Fade pointed the way,THANKS..:thumbsup:.So now I use it on my 10 & ZX6R and don't forget the "SUPER TECH." filter at Walmart too, oil change at $20.00 total:cool: I'm not here to endorse anything, just letting you guys know what I use.
hell yeah, that super tech ish is the shit man.. hahaha

for all you non beleivers.. here is the part number for the 2gen 10R

Supertech 7317 ($2)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Nice find Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's an example of an oil being marketed for a motorcycle yet has much less antiwear additives than oils selling for half the cost.

Here's a VOA of Castrol ACT>Evo Xtra 4t motorcycle oil
MOLY: 0
BORON: 2
SILICON: 7
SODIUM: 0
CALCIUM: 1619
MAGNESIUM: 7
PHOSPHOROUS: 768
ZINC: 966

SUS VISC. @210F: 78.9
Cst Visc. @100C: 15.24
Flashpoint: 390
TBN: 8.8

By comparison here is Rotella T 15W40 CJ-4
MOLY: 1
BORON: 35
SILICON: 4
CALCIUM: 3065
PHOSPHORUS: 989
ZINC: 1208
Flashpoint: >405

sus [email protected]: 78.1
TBN: 10.3

Rotella 5W40 (synthetic actually a group III) As you can see, both Rotella oils have a much stronger antiwear/acid neutralizing additive package and a higher flashpoint than Castrol's "specially forumulated" motorcycle oil also without friction modifiers....

MOLY: 0
BORON: 0
SILICON: 5
SODIUM: 2
CALCIUM: 3204
MAGNESIUM: 9
PHOSPHOROUS: 1249
ZINC: 1403

SUS VISC. @210F: 75.4
Cst Visc. @100C: 14.37
Flashpoint: 425
TBN: 12.5

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have used it before and am planning on going back to it on the next change. I have been using the supertech filters for a while now and at $2.50 you cant beat them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I use Microgard filters. O'Reilly Auto Parts' house brand. I think they're < $4 each. They get excellent reviews for both bikes and autos.

·
Registered
685 Posts
hell yeah, that super tech ish is the shit man.. hahaha

for all you non beleivers.. here is the part number for the 2gen 10R

Supertech 7317 ($2)
Hmmm... All this Supertech filter talk made me do some research and its a decent filter for the price... I would only use it if I couldn't find a PureOne tho.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hmmm... All this Supertech filter talk made me do some research and its a decent filter for the price... I would only use it if I couldn't find a PureOne tho.
I believe purolator makes the supertech filters for wallyworld.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
what they dont make synthetic in 10w 40??
The first number describes how well the oil flows in the cold climate so its irrelevant unless you ride in freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts