Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This appears to be a standard reply, so it may be a repost. Kinda long but worth reading. If you want to skip the long read, don't expect any $1098.00 Magnesium wheels B4 spring or summer of 2008 if they are actually able to do it. In fact, expect a significant increase over the original 1098.00 price if they ever make any wheels at all.

JJ

Dear Jimmy,
Our mission at Durrani Racing Components is to produce and distribute high performance lightweight products to the sportbike industry, utilizing a high degree of new and unique magnesium technology at previously inconceivable value. Over the past few months, our efforts have been focused on perfecting a manufacturing process whereby a Thixomolded magnesium Wheelcore could be mated to an extruded and ring-rolled AZ80 magnesium rim. Our data indicated that this would produce a lightweight and affordable motorcycle wheel that is well suited for use on public roads and racetracks alike.

While both steps in this process presented distinct engineering challenges, we believed that perfecting the Thixomolding process for the wheel core would require the most time and effort. This belief was based on 20 years of magnesium engineering experience, and the fact that the largest Thixomolded magnesium product that had been successfully produced prior to our wheels weighed about 1 pound. To our delight, we were able to refine the tooling and dial in the process in less time than previously imagined. This accomplishment literally sent a shock wave through the industry when Durrani Wheelcores were displayed at the 2007 Society of Automotive Engineers and International Magnesium Association trade shows.

With this accomplishment under our belt, combined with the resources and personnel that were on deck to assist in the remaining work to be done, we felt that the possibility of delivering complete sets of wheels in a 4-6 week time frame was plausible. After advertisements were published and orders began coming in, we simultaneously experienced several setbacks related to completing the development of our manufacturing process. With each setback, came a shift of our anticipated delivery date.

As we have worked to resolve each of these unforeseen production issues, it became clear that a change in direction was warranted. While the original wheel design had performed extremely well during initial testing and development, upon production ramp-up and final testing we discovered that the extruded and ring rolled rim process had inherent flaws which were only detectable by producing significant quantities of the parts. For this reason, we have chosen to quarantine and scrap all of the rims and materials related to this process, and pursue the now proven path of Thixomolding for the rim as we have successfully done with the Wheelcore.

This new approach will ensure a more robust and higher quality product; however this improvement results in significantly higher manufacturing costs. Given this, we will hold our original price on the 510 Series wheel for 2007, but expect to raise it in 2008. To this end, magnesium hubs are now standard and aluminum hubs have been discontinued. We have also designed a standardized sprocket bolt pattern based on the Suzuki GSXR series fitment from 2001-2007, so you may need to purchase a rear sprocket separately. We anticipate that it will take approximately 3-4 months to tool up and implement, and we are deeply committed to achieving this end. You can take advantage of the 2007 pricing by pre-ordering with a $600.00 deposit before January 2008. Your order will then be promptly filled after successful testing is complete, and we launch full production runs. You will soon be able to place your deposit via our website. Until then, please feel free to place your deposit over the phone at (248) 442-0077.

The steps we are taking to refine our manufacturing process demonstrate our dedication and commitment to produce lightweight, high value magnesium wheels, and we look forward to your support.

Sincerely,

Durrani Racing Components

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
yeah my friend ordered those months ago and now they are refunding his money.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Yeah, I dont think they are going to make it. sounds like they want people to pay pu front so they can get funds to do more r&d

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,532 Posts
damn!!! im glad i found this... i was just on the sponsors site this morning looking up Mag wheels.

I need a front wheel (been using my boys spare all summer) and I got burnd on ebay (sent me a bent as hell front wheel) so now im scared of Escam and dont want to pay $500 for a OEM front.... so I figured Id just grab one of these. Oh well , yeah send in $600 deposit...yeah right...lol

So what are the next cheapest Mag wheels???

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just cancelled my order 2 weeks ago. I purchased them in April and just kept letting it slide because I had already allocated the money to getting them. Well when I called and spoke w/ Don and he told me it was going to be another 3-4 months that was all I could stand and asked for a refund. I am still waiting to get me check in the mail from them on this matter. He did hook me up and asked if when they were finally able to make the wheels would I still be interested if he would get them to me at the same price and I of course said yes. So I guess we will see if they will ever be able to make them or not.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
For what it's worth, things do go wrong as the production processes begin. They may be telling the truth in this, as a R&D lab is completely different from the real world.

·
Registered
788 Posts
damn!!! im glad i found this... i was just on the sponsors site this morning looking up Mag wheels.

I need a front wheel (been using my boys spare all summer) and I got burnd on ebay (sent me a bent as hell front wheel) so now im scared of Escam and dont want to pay $500 for a OEM front.... so I figured Id just grab one of these. Oh well , yeah send in $600 deposit...yeah right...lol

So what are the next cheapest Mag wheels???
what year do you need? 04-05 or 06-07? i have a good line on some 04-05

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it's worth, things do go wrong as the production processes begin. They may be telling the truth in this, as a R&D lab is completely different from the real world.
I beleive they are also. Made no sense spending tons of advertising dollars and not trying to be legit. :dontknow:

JJ

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,532 Posts
what year do you need? 04-05 or 06-07? i have a good line on some 04-05
Well I have a 2006 bike, but I put 2004-05 Forks on it. I was going to buy some stock 06-07 forks and send everything back down to CTR Jon to have it swaped (Ohlins 20mm kit) or just get the second set of forks done with the oh so pretty 25mm Ohlins kit.

The only reason i was doing this swaping of forks (back to the correct year) was just in case the 08 had the same axle set up like the 06. so if I ever dump the 06 and run the 08 only i can put the durrani rims on it.

long story short... if you have some 04 rims at a good cost let me know....

·
Registered
691 Posts
hmm...We low balled ourselves on a busted design but you can still send us $600 to help us keep the lights on.

They may have good intentions but if you're dumb enough to send them a check and they go bankrupt you'll never see that money again. Trust me, I just got burned by Sunrocket phone company. Bankrupt overnight and no phone service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts