Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was doing this last night and to be honest I found the nose fairing a bitch to get off. Anyhow, it doesn't have to be removed to do this but I had other stuff that required it, basically I'm skipping the removal and reinstall of the nose fairings and skipping to pics of the stuff that has to be removed to make this work.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So this is less a how to and more a what to do thing, you need to be able to take your bike apart and have a basic understanding of how shit works. I am posting pics and even scribbled on them so that you can have some sort of reference as to what comes out and what else you can do, the hole that is left after taking the actuator out is no good, I used the top of a spray paint lid and cut it with a Dremel, used a soldering iron to kinda get it to stay and then literally covered it with silicone sealant to help it stay in place and not get blown out of place. I removed pretty much all the crap in there just cause since I already weigh over 200 lbs the weight savings isn't gonna help me beat anyone who is 50 lbs lighter. Look at the pics, if it's circled in red or has red scribbled on it it should likley come out, the exception being if I just wrote something with red, if it isn't circled it doesn't come out. Happy hunting

·
Registered
31 Posts
...hammering the flapper out...when it can be removed with a little more finess with just a few more screws turned? :D
(And the proper blanking plug from Kawi is like 5 bucks...)

But I'll give you kudos for the effort!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...hammering the flapper out...when it can be removed with a little more finess with just a few more screws turned? ?
(And the proper blanking plug from Kawi is like 5 bucks...)

But I'll give you kudos for the effort!
the plug would mean waiting or getting it and then having it sit around until I got around to it or found the time. I didn't need to hammer the thing out but the catch there is that my putty knife is super sharp so it only took a few gentle taps with the rubber mallet. I have absolutely zero intention of ever putting the flap back in so why bother taking more shit apart on my bike. Also, I intend on replacing the ram air duct with a carbon fiber unit so the plug is a temp fix and since I just decided to do it cause someone asked and because all I had done previously was just to cut and clamp the air line running along the left side of the bike which does disable the flap but yup, it was a dirty job that wrapped up clean. if it was anywhere that would ever be visible no way in hell I would use a paint lid and silicone that's for sure lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I'm a bit late to the party but thanks for the detailed instructions. I have a 2017 ZX10 RR which i just took the flap out of. It was an unplanned mod (I accidentally broke the tab holding the flap to the lever while painting the bike), but I've noticed an improvement in how the bike responds, so I'm happy I did it.

I actually stumbled my way through removing the intake flap myself before finding this post, even using a spray paint lid to seal the hole. What I was wondering is if you got any error codes when you did yours? Although the bike rides fine, all 3 power modes are flashing on my dash along with the check engine light, and I can't select a mode. Am I supposed to do something with the power input for the servo motor?

Any help would be appreciated. There are a lot of tutorials online about removing the flap, but not much on clearing any errors. Thanks!

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R KRT-2016
84 Posts
You need to either leave the solenoid plugged in or disable it in woolich. That will prevent fault codes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Gotcha, I'll give it a try. Do I need to do anything with the hose connections? Plug them is enough or do they need to be connected?

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R KRT-2016
84 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Gotcha, I'll give it a try. Do I need to do anything with the hose connections? Plug them is enough or do they need to be connected?
Remove the related plumbing & plug the vacuum port coming out of the throttle body... that should be good

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I'm a bit late to the party but thanks for the detailed instructions. I have a 2017 ZX10 RR which i just took the flap out of. It was an unplanned mod (I accidentally broke the tab holding the flap to the lever while painting the bike), but I've noticed an improvement in how the bike responds, so I'm happy I did it.

I actually stumbled my way through removing the intake flap myself before finding this post, even using a spray paint lid to seal the hole. What I was wondering is if you got any error codes when you did yours? Although the bike rides fine, all 3 power modes are flashing on my dash along with the check engine light, and I can't select a mode. Am I supposed to do something with the power input for the servo motor?

Any help would be appreciated. There are a lot of tutorials online about removing the flap, but not much on clearing any errors. Thanks!
i have woolich ecu flashing stuff so no error codes here, you can plg the thing back in and it will get rid of that code

1 - 13 of 13 Posts