Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Kawi intake cam. I do not plan on installing it myself. I was discussing the install with the local dealer and I have a couple questions for you guys. I want the cam installed with the .050 or .055 head gasket which means the engine has to be pulled (cam install does not require pulling engine). Tech guy suggests having the head ported and polished while it is off the bike. I am also installing velocity stacks with the cam/gasket install and having the cams timed.

Tech guy thinks that I will not see a significant increase in power if I do not port and polish the head. Is this true? I do not know how much this would cost or who to do it?

What is the best timing for the cams? What cam sprockets do you recommend? I was told factory cam sprockets are not adjustable.

Also what size head gasket do you think would be best?

FYI: I have BMC race filter and Muzzy MotoGP exhaust (letting you know what is on the intake and exhaust side)

If you have experience with these mods please tell me everything that I need to know!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I just installed the cam myself, and it does not require dropping the motor. The factory has already done a rough clean up on the ports, and although I am sure there can be gains made, it would be marginal for the costs involved. I understand that material actually needs to be added in certain areas to do a proper job.

I went with the .45 head gasket, and there appears to be appropriate squish area. If you are worried about it, the .50 would be fine and on the safe side of things.

The stock cam sprockets are slotted so you can degree them. I think some have tried 106/103 with success.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Look the best way to go in your case would be to put the intake cam in the stock position, a relatively easy job. The stock gasket is .065 so you are wanting to increase compression by .010 or so - not worth the effort unless you are going to change valve springs and do head work/deck head.

Its a starting point, try it(race intake cam in stock position custom mapped) and then you can always do more l8tr

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I say try to get the .45 gasket and cam and if you can find someone to clean up the head go for it... kawi says take 1mm off the intake tracks but I ran my bike with stock head and it made great power with cam n gasket.

the motor does not have to be pulled to pull the head off the bike by the way.

I say just do the gasket, cam and degree them 107/103-104 is good

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Definetly not. A buddy of mine has virtually all the same mods as me and he went as far as to Port & Polish the head. He acutally lost a bit in the midrange to my bike but gained 2rwhp in the topend. I think if you were doing 13.5:1 pistons and rods, basically building a full race bike then I believe it would be worth it but thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hey guys after technic's post I want to do the cam (stock settings) but am now unsure if i should bother with the gasket. Was going to go .5 or .55. Bike is ridden daily so didn't want to go anything drastic. Is it worth doing the gasket?

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
363 Posts
"Tech guy thinks that I will not see a significant increase in power if I do not port and polish the head. "

I think I'd look for another tech.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My mechanic said that the stock heads have a basic port & polish job done at the factory and that on most street bikes it was not worth the money to have it done. On a full blown drag or race bike it would be worth the extra money to get done. Beware not all head shop are the same and if they don't know what they are doing they can make the head flow worse and cost you some hp's.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am currently in the process of doing a head 45 mil head gasket and intake cam. I wanted to mill the head even more. Just wasn't sure how much more i could take out of it. there isn't a whole lot there for removing. I was going to do a port and polish. After looking at the head I now know that only a polish would help. Although the exhaust side is a little small. But over all the head looked good. Kawi does do a pretty good job on them. There were no casting screw ups from what I could see. I was also going to degree the cams but I am adding a -1 front sprocket, velocity stacks,tre and dynojet ignition module so I thought that making my powerband hit in the low to mid range would just make it come up easier. Cant hold it down now.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
would it be better to remove the motor.......I want to do the best job possible leaving nothing to chance!.not even scratching or scuffing other components bringing the head off of the bike.......is it a real tight squeeze to install the HG with out removal of the motor?.........and why do some of you suggest installing cam in the stock pos. instead the the degree?.....just wondering?....dependibility?.......thanks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
head and cam

for the best results do a port and polish on the head, serdi radius valve job and mil .10 at least off the head. there is plenty of power left over in the head from the factory according to stock flow numbers. Do it right the first time and save time and most importantly money!!!!! _____RACER!!

just do cam and tune!!!!_______STREET GUY OR GIRL RIDER!!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If you are doing the intake cam and .45 head gasket....do you need to replace the valve springs?
No, it's not required. However, if you're planning to race it (sustained high rpms), it's probably a good idea. There are guys who track their bikes with the stock springs and with the cam, and have no issues.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts