Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I pulled up to a stop sign to turn left. I looked right and saw a truck coming and then looked left. I looked back right just in time to see the truck turning into me. I had just enough time to jump off the bike. I wasn't hurt but it did over 4K in damage to my bike including the front forks.

The payout was enough for repairs and some extras including a PCV, air filter, cam degrading, and dyno tune. I was initially going to have the mechanic send the cams off to Webb but the Gen 5 cams are already huge so decided to just have him degree them. While the engine was out off the bike I had the usual stuff done like smog block offs and I removed the flapper from the rank air.

The PCV and cam degreeing freed up nearly 30hp through the midrange and it feels like a completely different bike and it looks even more badass because I ditched the faded red forks for green ones and a carbon fiber upper fairing and front fender.

Who knew that getting wrecked at a stop sign could be a blessing in disguise...:grin2:

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
hardly, no accident is a blessing. Watch your next insurance bill; yes even if not your fault.

corps are not your friend. Just occasionally necessary yet never, never, ever, ever will morals enter their thought paradigm.

·
Registered
735 Posts
So... I pulled up to a stop sign to turn left. I looked right and saw a truck coming and then looked left. I looked back right just in time to see the truck turning into me. I had just enough time to jump off the bike. I wasn't hurt but it did over 4K in damage to my bike including the front forks.

The payout was enough for repairs and some extras including a PCV, air filter, cam degrading, and dyno tune. I was initially going to have the mechanic send the cams off to Webb but the Gen 5 cams are already huge so decided to just have him degree them. While the engine was out off the bike I had the usual stuff done like smog block offs and I removed the flapper from the rank air.

The PCV and cam degreeing freed up nearly 30hp through the midrange and it feels like a completely different bike and it looks even more badass because I ditched the faded red forks for green ones and a carbon fiber upper fairing and front fender.

Who knew that getting wrecked at a stop sign could be a blessing in disguise...:grin2:
if there was damage to your forks on a Gen5 the repair bill would be more than 4k each fork cost $1,882.64 usd not including labour to fit them

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if there was damage to your forks on a Gen5 the repair bill would be more than 4k each fork cost $1,882.64 usd not including labour to fit them
Ok, it was just one fork... Typo. That was the exact amount they paid out for the parts. The total payout was $4700 and some change. Instead of fixing the fork it was cheaper to get a used set off eBay which was 1300.00 with shipping and I got the green ones which don't turn pink when faded... Saved $500.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hardly, no accident is a blessing. Watch your next insurance bill; yes even if not your fault.

corps are not your friend. Just occasionally necessary yet never, never, ever, ever will morals enter their thought paradigm.
That's for dammed sure... Insurance is a effing racket.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'll ask the mechanic if he saved the graph but I saw it with my eyeballs.
They get saved if it's a dynojet. There's a little file. If you can get a copy of the runs I can view them. If love to see them for comparison sake. Not that I'm doubting anything. But it would just be very helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the mechanic checked the stock timing with his cam wheel he was a bit baffled as to why Kawasaki would want to choke the bike so badly through the low and midrange. He said that the numbers for the intake and exhaust should be swapped for the bike to have power in the midrange. A cool thing about the bike is that it has degreeable cam sprockets so that was money saved also. I highly recommend the guy I went to for the repairs. If there's anyone on here in the Columbia, SC area the name of the shop is Carolina Motorsports. The owner Joe Spires specializes in sportbikes and has rebuilt over 100 engines.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I would be interested to see how much top end loss there was. A ZX10RR I tuned only gained about 6-8whp with Kit cams installed and degreed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be interested to see how much top end loss there was. A ZX10RR I tuned only gained about 6-8whp with Kit cams installed and degreed.
It lost 8 off the top end but I don't care because I am a street rider... I t feels in 2nd the way it felt in 1st before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts