Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what company I can go through to get insurance in Japan for my 10?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Don't know, but as I understand it from a friend who served there- the insurance becomes attatched to the vehicle itself and is not cheap.

That is why you can often buy a used car cheap there- until you find out how much is owed on the insurance that has not been paid for the 2 years it sat.
Now you get to pay for those 2 years and make the car/bike capable of
passing their tests.

·
Post Whore
6,238 Posts
B1GPAP1 said:
Anyone know what company I can go through to get insurance in Japan for my 10?
Are you in the military? If so, the base should have an insurnace agent on the base. When I was in Okinawa they had one anyway. Liability was cheap but full coverage sucked. Registering my bike was a PITA (pain in the ass). GO here, then here, then back here, to go here. They make it hard for Americans...I will see if I can find my insurance papers from Japan.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
ACE or AIU will be able to insure you. Are you already in Japan or are you just looking before you get here? Your insureance rates will be based on age and rank if your in the military. If your importing your bike your in for some additional expense and headaches. I'm almost done with all my paperwork for getting mine legal to ride. You may not have much trouble though if yours is marked for meeting the strickter Euro standards. I just got mine back from testing let's just say it wasn't cheap at 240,000 yen which was like $2100. I had planned for this before coming over and want you to be aware of the potential costs.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quick10 said:
ACE or AIU will be able to insure you. Are you already in Japan or are you just looking before you get here? Your insureance rates will be based on age and rank if your in the military. If your importing your bike your in for some additional expense and headaches. I'm almost done with all my paperwork for getting mine legal to ride. You may not have much trouble though if yours is marked for meeting the strickter Euro standards. I just got mine back from testing let's just say it wasn't cheap at 240,000 yen which was like $2100. I had planned for this before coming over and want you to be aware of the potential costs.
:spit: :spit: WOW, that's alot of money that could have been spent on go fast goodies!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I know but if I wanted to ride my baby that was the price I had to pay. The pay is very good over here and I have already made up for it in only 3 months. I will be getting plenty of goodies soon.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Quick10 said:
I know but if I wanted to ride my baby that was the price I had to pay. The pay is very good over here and I have already made up for it in only 3 months. I will be getting plenty of goodies soon.
you should check into the trick star stuff since your over there

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I know a couple of the shops and the owners over here and will check into some of the options on parts. I just haven't had the time to do it yet because of work and trying to get my bike registered.

Sorry to thread jack

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where can i check if my bike is marked for meeting the japanese standards?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick10...how much is the insurance there?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I would check with Kawasaki they may be able to tell you if it does meet the standards. Kawasaki U.S.A. was not able to help me out with my particular bike 04-05 10r because it had not been tested for the tougher Euro specs. I believe however that the 06 has been and if it has you may be able to get a letter from Kawasaki USA. or possibly Kawasaki Japan. Another thing you will need is a Brake Test Certificate. Kawasaki USA was not able to give me one but I was able to get one from Kawasaki Japan.Getting this certificate saved me @ $700 you should not have a problem getting one.

Insurance is based on age and rank. I have not insured my bike yet because I haven't gotten my Japanese title or registration yet. I should have it in about 2 weeks. Ballpark estimate for full coverage @ $1200 per year. This is how much my zx9r was 5 years ago. I hope this helps you out. If your in the military like I think you are I wouldn't let the costs get to you too much. My cola as a E-6 accompanied this month was $1000 which is just extra spending money.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
http://www.mcbbutler.usmc.mil/jsvr/jsvro/files/sofainfo.htm

Check out this link. All my information is for Okinawa Japan but should be the same for mainland since i don't know exactly where your going.

Sorry to have to give you all this bad news. Perhaps your sponser can get you more info. But feel free to ask me anything and let me know which base your going to and I might be able to get better information to you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm headed to Sasebo...where the Essex is...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts