Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing my quest to get back on track September 1st. At miller motorsports park is insurance. I have been riding since I was 16, I am now 26. For all those years I never rode on the street thus never needing a license or insurance just to do track days. After my incident in march, I felt the need to be more prepared for future accidents.

So step one

1. Took the MSF course got my license
2. Bike's title put into my name ( bought it from my dad)
3. Insurance that will cover me at the track

Step three has been a huge PITA.

Insurance companies really are a bit rough. Nobody seems to understand exactly what I am looking for. I usually have to go into some lengthy detail as to what I am going to be doing with the bike. No matter how many times I tell them I will not be racing the motorcycle, that it is a Non racing, non timed event, made for rider training, they cannot comprehend this concept.

So far through my search
two companies will provide coverage for track days. (sate of Arizona coverage)

State farm
Foremost

Full coverage = No tickets, No accidents, perfect credit score on a 2008 zx10R
me being a 26yr old male.
Foremost (owned by Farmers) is 147/mo
State Farm is 167/mo

The reason I went with full coverage is because hey if I want to ride on the street, I can still do that and be 100% covered

the biggest difference in coverage is gear. foremost will only cover 1,500 in protective equipment.
State farm my gear falls under property damage and that is 10k in coverage

Does anyone anywhere have a better option for Track day coverage, I looked all over the net and there really is no company that advertises as track day only coverage. a lot of people talk about ad hoc policies and I couldn't come up with a company that does it for events like track days.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Insurance companies don't like insuring track days, as the number of incidents is higher than insuring people on the road!

In the UK they insurance companies go far enough to send undercover agents to the tracks to photograph bikes number plates, just in case! So if you fall off, try to claim a crash on the road, they sue your for fraud!

Rob

·
Registered
632 Posts
yes, but in Europe they sell actual "Motorcycle Trackday" insurance for
like $50 full coverage for the day or up to like 5 days.

Wish they had something like that in US

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankfully the two companies I mentioned will cover Track day crashes. as long as like I stated they are non racing non timed events.

Crazy in the UK they come and photograph your bikes. I thought there were a few companies like MCE / Four counties / Moris all those are UK insurance companies that have track day policies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I agree that they need something like this. Part of the fun of our sport is doing it safely and I am not willing to push hard on the road. I have more fun at the track because I know I can go slow or fast or whatever and I am not going to hit a guard rail or have a little old lady pull out in front of me. The surface is usually much nicer as well.

I have a hard time believing more percentage claims would come from a track day than street riding

·
Registered
634 Posts

I really don't think so no! I used to be an avid track day rider in the UK, and I looked at track day insurance, and it was really expensive. I just decided I would "self insure" the bike... i.e. I stack it, I buy a new second hand bike!

Rob

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You sound like an honest hardworking guy and that's respectable. Why don't you just get full coverage on the bike and then call them before your "rider improvement day" and tell them you will be using the bike at that even, any words like trac day or race bike will obviously get you declined. I know with Rider insurance they will cover events that they see as rider safety or rider improvement schools as long as you notify them prior. Or if you go down just take it home and say you wrecked on the street.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Or if you go down just take it home and say you wrecked on the street.
And thats why in the UK the insurance companies send people to photograph bikes at track days! A lot of this has gone on in the past! Some people take their number plates off for track days for this exact reason.

Rob

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
All I can say about that is, 'Merica

·
Registered
463 Posts
anytime you mention race track to an insurance company - anything you say after that wont register. My state farm has told me that they wont insurance me or other riders for a track day although they once did. I find it surprising that your state farm does - good for you. I have my race bike insured and although I am paying full coverage on it, it's only covered for theft and fire.

167 a month for insurance is insane, but is probably the best deal going.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Dairyland covered my incident and rates where good

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Contacted the

einhorninsurance.com/...insurance/track-day-motorcycle-insurance-california

this particular agency can only give policies in California, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada

They do cover track days. the policy is from foremost insurance owned by farmers

Which I do want to make note is the only company that iIcould specifically find now that says they will cover Track days. as long as no money or points are awarded.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
167 a month for insurance is insane, but is probably the best deal going.

see I thought 167/mo was very high as well, considering I have no accidents, no tickets. It is full coverage 500 deductible, liability only would have been cheap.

It is the price to pay to go with a company that will cover what you want to do with the bike though. I have greater peace of mind going to a Tack Day knowing i can rip around and damage to the bike wont come out of my pocket :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I know everyone is concerned about bike replacement, etc.

But my bike is the least concern. I'm more worried about
personal liability. You cause a crash and someone gets
hurt and can't cover their medical bills you bet they will come
after you. Signing some no fault waiver doesn't mean crap.

Even if you did or didn't cause the crash they can still
come after you and you have to defend. This is something
your insurance normally handles, but since you don't have
insurance you would need to get your own attorney and
now we are talking some good money just to defend or
even worse you lose and put any personal assets (present
or future) on the line.

I got sued once (unrelated to mc's) successfully defended and
cost me 20k cash out of my pocket.

That's kind of thing I'm worried about.

It would be really cool if we could contact and get an official response from some of the top insurance companies and make a sticky post of it.

If I found an insurance company that publicly stated they cover track
days they'd have my business.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts