Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are several different kinds of heat shields that have adhesive backing. Buy the more expensive thicker one or use a few layers of the thinner kind. I know the bottom of the exhaust gets really close to the belly pan on the 3rd gen 10r. You can also wrap the the piece of pipe that gets close with header wrap. The first time I took a brand new 08 ZX10 to the track I hadn't done either of these and melted the belly pan badly. If you are asking this question you are already on the right track.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,049 Posts
There are several different kinds of heat shields that have adhesive backing. Buy the more expensive thicker one or use a few layers of the thinner kind. I know the bottom of the exhaust gets really close to the belly pan on the 3rd gen 10r. You can also wrap the the piece of pipe that gets close with header wrap. The first time I took a brand new 08 ZX10 to the track I hadn't done either of these and melted the belly pan badly. If you are asking this question you are already on the right track.
:+1:I use this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-sqft-Rubberized-Butyl-Rubber-adhesive-foil-Faced-Insulation-Sheeting-Sound-/171071581646?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item27d4a92dce&vxp=mtr
Its inexpensive and you can double it up if you need to. I also have header tape on my exhaust in a few areas.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, I have brand new armour bodies plastics and really dont want to ruin them lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the help, I have brand new armour bodies plastics and really dont want to ruin them lol
I also have A/B plastics and used 3M adhesive spray with DEI heat shield from O'Reilly's auto. Got the shield material on sale for about $50....definitely worth it.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Guy's, I'm pretty much friends with everyone who has posted on this thread.
You are NOT gonna believe this..
GSXtacy's Ole lady and my Ole lady are cousins. NO SHIT!!!!!
They drove down here and met us here in Mississippi and we hung out for awhile and went to dinner at the local good Mexican restaurant.
Chris, is a great guy. He and I sat and talked bikes the WHOLE time and realized we are both members here. We are gonna meet up and do a track day at Barber.
So y'all give him a big ZX10R.net welcome for me please.

Chris, check this place out for heat insulation...

http://www.deicycle.com/Heat_Shield

·
Chairman of the Board
16,049 Posts
Guy's, I'm pretty much friends with everyone who has posted on this thread.
You are NOT gonna believe this..
GSXtacy's Ole lady and my Ole lady are cousins. NO SHIT!!!!!
They drove down here and met us here in Mississippi and we hung out for awhile and went to dinner at the local good Mexican restaurant.
Chris, is a great guy. He and I sat and talked bikes the WHOLE time and realized we are both members here. We are gonna meet up and do a track day at Barber.
So y'all give him a big ZX10R.net welcome for me please.

Chris, check this place out for heat insulation...

http://www.deicycle.com/Heat_Shield
Thats crazy. Small world really. Keep me posted on that track day, I really wanna do Barber.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep small world. I used the insulation recommended and sure enough with the stock exhaust it burned through in a few small spots. Cut a few holes and two full track days later all is good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts