Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive been a member since ~2006 when i bought my gen 1. best bike ive ever owned. ive had several since then and havent been on .net for a while simply because i havent had a 10r and ive had little to add to the conversation. my latest steed was a 2015 diavel. not a canyon carver, but a great bike. the kind of bike that makes you look back over your shoulder as you walk away. today i made the boneheaded decision to trade her in on a 2018 10r. even though i have a cbr600 for tossing around the twisties, i thought i was missing something by not having a liter class sport bike. i knew within five miles id made a mistake. it has tons of power, sure...but so much so that its unusable on the road...and on most of the tracks in the south east. and its big and bulky and seems like itll take a heavy hand to flick it around. at the end of the day, there doesnt seem to be anything special about this bike...its just another sport bike. sigh. its likely an exercise in futility, but im going back to the shop on tuesday and going to try and get my diavel back. this is the only motorbike purchase ive ever truly regretted.

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
the liter is the only option for me on west coast as I have a huge range of riding conditions. My problem with the 1000cc bike is simple: bike weight MUST be around 405 pounds or tires will simply cost mega too much for those that truly use this bike.

The liter at around the 400 pound level is the BEST bike possible FOR ALL AROUND CONDITIONS. The g4 10r is simply the best in terms of handling and over all tire wear UNLESS tire guys get their best to go for at leasrt 10k miles.

I know exactly your point but simply must add that the 1000cc is truly the best bike but bust be kept at the weight level of the G4.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the liter is the only option for me on west coast as I have a huge range of riding conditions. My problem with the 1000cc bike is simple: bike weight MUST be around 405 pounds or tires will simply cost mega too much for those that truly use this bike.

The liter at around the 400 pound level is the BEST bike possible FOR ALL AROUND CONDITIONS. The g4 10r is simply the best in terms of handling and over all tire wear UNLESS tire guys get their best to go for at leasrt 10k miles.

I know exactly your point but simply must add that the 1000cc is truly the best bike but bust be kept at the weight level of the G4.
not sure that i agree with that. i live in north atlanta...meaning i commute on relatively flat and straight roads but spend my weekends riding righteous twisties up in the north georgia mountains. 600 and 750 class bikes are a lot more fun in the twisties and at the track because like you said, liter bikes tend to be the fat kids of the sport bike world...and modern 600s and 750s are fast and nimble AF. i can spank most liter bikes at the track all day simply because they just cant carry the speed through turns like smaller bikes can. and as far as commuting the 25 or so miles to work each way, its kind of boring and uncomfortable on any sport bike ive owned, regardless of displacement and/or weight...and there have been more than a few.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts

Stop recycling the same old speech. It is not the WSBK version. It is fat , old and the power is barely usable for the streets. It's been last to almost any shoot-outs out there for the same reasons. Stop the madness already. There is better bikes out there with more personality and fun factor.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
not sure that i agree with that. i live in north atlanta...meaning i commute on relatively flat and straight roads but spend my weekends riding righteous twisties up in the north georgia mountains. 600 and 750 class bikes are a lot more fun in the twisties and at the track because like you said, liter bikes tend to be the fat kids of the sport bike world...and modern 600s and 750s are fast and nimble AF. i can spank most liter bikes at the track all day simply because they just cant carry the speed through turns like smaller bikes can. and as far as commuting the 25 or so miles to work each way, its kind of boring and uncomfortable on any sport bike ive owned, regardless of displacement and/or weight...and there have been more than a few.
Get a left over Aprilia Tuono for cheap.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
ive been a member since ~2006 when i bought my gen 1. best bike ive ever owned. ive had several since then and havent been on .net for a while simply because i havent had a 10r and ive had little to add to the conversation. my latest steed was a 2015 diavel. not a canyon carver, but a great bike. the kind of bike that makes you look back over your shoulder as you walk away. today i made the boneheaded decision to trade her in on a 2018 10r. even though i have a cbr600 for tossing around the twisties, i thought i was missing something by not having a liter class sport bike. i knew within five miles id made a mistake. it has tons of power, sure...but so much so that its unusable on the road...and on most of the tracks in the south east. and its big and bulky and seems like itll take a heavy hand to flick it around. at the end of the day, there doesnt seem to be anything special about this bike...its just another sport bike. sigh. its likely an exercise in futility, but im going back to the shop on tuesday and going to try and get my diavel back. this is the only motorbike purchase ive ever truly regretted.

Same for me in 2009, I bought a new Yamaha Crossplane R1. I hadnt made it 20 miles from Thornton road down I-20 West regretting the purchase. Sold it 5 days later to WOW motorcycles in Marietta lol.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
odd, I had/still have a built gen 1. before I sucked a valve and nuked one if my JE pistons I was sure that I would never find another bike that was as wicked and wild as my 05. I bought a 2017 abs zx10 and that feeling was reinforced. the seat killed me in a way I never dealt with before on a sports bike. the throttle was way way to jerky due to the ride by wire and the fuel cut. the input lag on the throttle sucked, I had not gotten the suspension set up yet and on and on. after I set my suspension correctly for my daily riding situation and started customizing it It started to grow on me. after spanking a brand new s1000rr it proved it wasn't as slow as it felt. then it got stollen. now I have a 2018 abs KRT eddition. I have had the ecu flashed with woolich, have auto blip downshifting enabled all emmisions crap removed, pair valve and exhaust butterfly disabled, rev limit is up at 14,100. timing and tps and all that fun stuff is done up. disabled the off throttle fuel cut and the acceleration fuel compensation. tossed a K&N air filter in it, permanently have the ram air flap open, cat removed shortened low mount two Bros carbon can, o2 disabled etc. the bike is straight scary now but only when I want it to be, if I am not trying to stand it up intentionally I just turn on or don't turn off the ktrac. with the fuel cut disabled the bike is so much smoother and easier to ride around town and in stop and go traffic. the raised idle makes getting off the line even smoother and lowered fan temp keeps her cooler. I love my gen1 but no doubt in my mind with my Gen5 set up the way it is right now, there is no comparison aside from them both being liter bikes manufactured by kawi and with the designation of ZX10R. only fault I have with the new one is I am tall and it is much more cramped than the 05. do yourself a solid and get the woolich stuff, flash the bike to an unrestricted euro map to start, enable the auto blip and disable the fuel cut, o2 and smog stuff, pair valve and exhaust servo, get a mid pipe and a slip on, and then come back and update us with your opinion of the bike. it still has attitude and soul, and it is really stupid fast and nimble once you get used to it

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
100% agree

The Gen5 is a terrible street bike. To bad Kawasaki had to set the chassis up so soft for everyone. Plus the powerband is a pussy cat until it’s up on the redline, they should take a page from BMWs book.

Reactions: badexample

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
odd, I had/still have a built gen 1. before I sucked a valve and nuked one if my JE pistons I was sure that I would never find another bike that was as wicked and wild as my 05. I bought a 2017 abs zx10 and that feeling was reinforced. the seat killed me in a way I never dealt with before on a sports bike. the throttle was way way to jerky due to the ride by wire and the fuel cut. the input lag on the throttle sucked, I had not gotten the suspension set up yet and on and on. after I set my suspension correctly for my daily riding situation and started customizing it It started to grow on me. after spanking a brand new s1000rr it proved it wasn't as slow as it felt. then it got stollen. now I have a 2018 abs KRT eddition. I have had the ecu flashed with woolich, have auto blip downshifting enabled all emmisions crap removed, pair valve and exhaust butterfly disabled, rev limit is up at 14,100. timing and tps and all that fun stuff is done up. disabled the off throttle fuel cut and the acceleration fuel compensation. tossed a K&N air filter in it, permanently have the ram air flap open, cat removed shortened low mount two Bros carbon can, o2 disabled etc. the bike is straight scary now but only when I want it to be, if I am not trying to stand it up intentionally I just turn on or don't turn off the ktrac. with the fuel cut disabled the bike is so much smoother and easier to ride around town and in stop and go traffic. the raised idle makes getting off the line even smoother and lowered fan temp keeps her cooler. I love my gen1 but no doubt in my mind with my Gen5 set up the way it is right now, there is no comparison aside from them both being liter bikes manufactured by kawi and with the designation of ZX10R. only fault I have with the new one is I am tall and it is much more cramped than the 05. do yourself a solid and get the woolich stuff, flash the bike to an unrestricted euro map to start, enable the auto blip and disable the fuel cut, o2 and smog stuff, pair valve and exhaust servo, get a mid pipe and a slip on, and then come back and update us with your opinion of the bike. it still has attitude and soul, and it is really stupid fast and nimble once you get used to it
your not related to gazx10 are ya? :2bitchslap:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts

Good to see both sides! :smile2: Attitude and soul @ 13500 exclusively and tossing the bike into corners requires way more work than any other bikes out there. Every bikes can be good if you throw money and time to it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know who would want to commute on a sport bike anyway. I used to commute every day to work (40 miles) on a 2008 Fjr1300 and now I do it on a 2001 Goldwing. The Zx's are for the track and canyons. That's it. Purpose built. But hey, you can split lanes much easier on the Zx for sure. It just sucks when the temps drop.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
prophet, I WANT to commute on a ZX10R. had mine for lil over 2 months and just went past 6,200 on the odo...I live sports bikes. sold my truck after I bought my gen 1 and have not looked back 64k miles on that, 12k on my 17 and 6 on the 18. ride rain, wind and cold. doesn't snow here lol. don't like cruisers and not old enough to not feel wrong on a goldwing. plus there is just something about knowing that aside from a select few exotic supercars and other liter bikes with some tlc (mods and tuning lol) invested into them, I'm the fastest thing on the road. Sure it can kick your ass, like when I made the 650 mile each way ride to salt lake but who cares. I'm still in my 30's and not a pussy (not saying you are). sure hands can go numb and wrists can get sore and ass and legs and back, worth it every single time I twist the throttle and my baby turns into roaring green lightning willing to do my bidding. the raw power between my legs. just an extension of mines bigger than yours type of deal I'm sure but oh well. that's how I am so why not be me in every aspect. yes I rant lol, again, just me. I'll own it

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
prophet, I WANT to commute on a ZX10R. had mine for lil over 2 months and just went past 6,200 on the odo...I live sports bikes. sold my truck after I bought my gen 1 and have not looked back 64k miles on that, 12k on my 17 and 6 on the 18. ride rain, wind and cold. doesn't snow here lol. don't like cruisers and not old enough to not feel wrong on a goldwing. plus there is just something about knowing that aside from a select few exotic supercars and other liter bikes with some tlc (mods and tuning lol) invested into them, I'm the fastest thing on the road. Sure it can kick your ass, like when I made the 650 mile each way ride to salt lake but who cares. I'm still in my 30's and not a pussy (not saying you are). sure hands can go numb and wrists can get sore and ass and legs and back, worth it every single time I twist the throttle and my baby turns into roaring green lightning willing to do my bidding. the raw power between my legs. just an extension of mines bigger than yours type of deal I'm sure but oh well. that's how I am so why not be me in every aspect. yes I rant lol, again, just me. I'll own it
Dude you crack me up hahaha!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
LOL!:crackup: Gold!:notworthy:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts