Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after a lot of reading and research about Pit-Eck I decided to say screw it, save the money, and go ahead and buy them. I would love to have gotten some Attack race fairings but the budget just is not there. I don't expect it to be a show bike, just want to save my factory plastics in case of a get off at the track. I got them off Ebay for $315 shipped and I would say I got what I paid for. I was not expecting anything great, and I was a little surprised at how good/decent the finish is given what I paid. I found very few blemishes and nothing I would not sand out anyways before I spray them. There was one broken mounting tab on the belly pan as they came pre-drilled and I suspect it was damaged in shipping. The biggest problem with these (and the reason they are so cheap) is that they are chopper gun made, not hand laid sheets of fiberglass. Thus, they are not very flexible at all, and even a tad brittle. I think I will go ahead and do a little reinforcing before paint and install on some of the key areas that could either go down or need to flex better. All in all, if you are good with fiberglass repair, and on a budget, these are for you, if not, RUN, don't walk from the cost savings. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining and it is exactly what I expected but I don't mind doing body work so I don't care.

So far I have the tail section test fitted, and while it is not perfect, I can live with it. The undertail they provide on the other hand is absolute shit. My two year old could have made one to fit better (but he has kick ass genetics so it might not be a fair comparison). :cool: Thus I am going to use the factory undertail with tail light (will save me from buying a new break light too!).

The front fender fits with no surprises. Actually, not too shabby... The lower belly pan looked like it might fit to the factory upper, based on where and how it connects but it will not fit the factory uppers without breaking the mounting tabs off either the belly pan or the factory uppers. I don't really care now either way but there was a time I wanted just the belly pan and was going to paint it to match the factory uppers to clean up the looks down below. This will not work without mods, but if you are good with glass, should not be too hard either and is still an option.

Here are a few pics and I will update this thread as I get them fitted up and while I paint them as well.

Speaking of paint, I went to English Color the other day and took one of my fairings with me to try and find a match for the paint since I refuse to pay colorite's prices for these crappy fairings. Looks like Nissan has a blue that is VERY close, but just a tiny bit darker when compared to the paint chip. Paint code is B14. I am going to use that one and if it ain't perfect then screw it, neither are the fairings...

going to reserve the next few posts for the remainder of the write up and details.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I got the upper mounted tonight, and I have to say I am impressed with the fit so far for all the fairings except the under tail (that thing is shit). The upper went on with no surprises and the bolt holes lined right up except for where the windscreen and gauge cluster attach. They are slightly off there. Other than that it lines up perfectly with the attachment points on the bike. They are fairly light, and so far the only down side is that they are not flexible and they will prob. shatter on my first get off. All in all, after mounting the upper (pending lower mounting) I would say not bad for $315 shipped.

I also picked up my Galfer superbike front lines today, hopefully will have those installed by next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I woke up this morning and started painting the fairings. They are metallic white. She still needs a bath but pics are below. I still need to get my headlight mounted up, SS brake lines installed, and get my damper back from Goldfish (he is soldering up the needle for me). I am also considering getting some blue decals like the stock ones and putting on there to tie it all together. Hopefully I can find a new tank as well so I can paint it to match.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reserved 3

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reserved 4

·
Registered
648 Posts
Your lucky that stuff actually fit and you didn't have to send some of the pieces back for new ones! The only part about the Pit-ek stuff is your gonna be hating it first crash you have, as it will splinter when you crash, which sucks. Not gonna be able to fix it, just get ready to buy new tail, upper, or whatever when ya crash!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your lucky that stuff actually fit and you didn't have to send some of the pieces back for new ones! The only part about the Pit-ek stuff is your gonna be hating it first crash you have, as it will splinter when you crash, which sucks. Not gonna be able to fix it, just get ready to buy new tail, upper, or whatever when ya crash!
yeah, that is the problem with the chopper gun stuff. Hand-laid does not have that problem, but once again, on a budget and $315 for one crash is better than replacing factory plastics. I look at them like a race suit, if it lasts one crash and needs to be replaced, it did it's job and is time for a new one.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump for update

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
they didnt fit as bad as i thought they would. not bad considering they are race fairings and dont need to be perfect. cool job. im looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Little sneak preview... Metallic White!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
new pics in post 3, my ass is tired, been at it ALL DAY!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts