1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just purchased a set of Ohlins Forks & rear shock, and i have
a problem fitting them on the bike. I have BST carbon wheels also, and the
axle nut provided by Ohlins is too big (length) to tighten the axle.

The BST wheels have the spacers embedded in the rim, not separate like the stock wheels. The Ohlins nut requires to remove the left spacer in the stock rim to install them, thus the wider nut length. So this is not actually an Ohlins problem, not knowing what wheels i have.

My question, has anyone have these on their bikes? Is there any ready-made axle nut for this combo, or do i have to make a custom nut?

I am trying to contact Ohlins to see if they have a ready nut for this...
I searched but nada, so any help is appreciated...

TC

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Try reducing the length of the nut, by cutting or grinding. Will still be ok. Sounds like a 5 min fix to me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
A problem i would love to have :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Chuck it in a lathe and cut the neccesary amount of. But first make sure you havent missed or incorrectly installed anything. I know but everyone makes simple mistakes every now and then. Could be one of those "where are my sunglasses" moments where you discover they are right where you left them...sitting on your forehead.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
... before I modified anything with Ohlins or BST stamped on it, I'd give ohlins a ring and see if they've bumped into this problem before. Or, call/email BST and see if they have. Most people that can afford BST/Ohlins probably do so in pairs :)

If that doesn't pan out, I'd mill down the shoulder on the axle as Mustard suggested. If you can't do it, bring it all to a machinist or provide REALLY accurate measurements.

G'luck!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well if i could afford those parts i would ditch the stock axle and nut and buy a titanium axle and nut for your application.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohlins replied back !

Thanks for the comments guys,

Ohlins replied back and said to :

a) Measure the length of the left spacer of the stock wheel (removable)
b) Cut this length from the Ohlins nut + 0.5mm.
c) Make additional threads 10mm to the axle to ensure tight fitment.

So, off i go (i ordered another nut and axle just in case)...and i promise to post up some miserable pics soon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts

So, off i go (i ordered another nut and axle just in case)...and i promise to post up some miserable pics soon :thumbsup:
good deal...congrats on your mods also you fuggar, :thefinger j.k.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts

Damn tease, thats what you are...

JJ

·
Registered
590 Posts
ohlins is usually very helpful... I had a similar issue on my R1 when I put ohlins forks and AP rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
they should be very helpful for the cost of that stuff

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have Ohlins forks and BST wheels...Dan kyle cut down the spacer for the left fork leg in his lathe. That way you can also mount the stock wheel with the normal spacer. If you modify anything else the stock wheel will not work.

I will take a picture for you.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have Ohlins forks and BST wheels...Dan kyle cut down the spacer for the left fork leg in his lathe. That way you can also mount the stock wheel with the normal spacer. If you modify anything else the stock wheel will not work.

I will take a picture for you.
:+1: Thanks man, exactly the pic i wanted to see. I am waiting for them to be cut right now.

Did you make more threads to the axle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts