Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all has to be removed to get to the top, to install the plates? I really need to get this thing finished and mapped correctly :grin2:

I could have the tank and Airbox off my Gixxer in 15 minutes...doesn't look as simple on this Gen5.

Is there a tutorial/video somewhere? I don't want to remove anything I don't have to.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The service manual is an excellent tutorial. Basically remove the tank and air box. Then you'll have to peel back the rubber cover and find just the right tools to get at the bolts in the small amount of space you have to work in. For the back bolts I used just an apex and a wrench to turn the apex. I don't like working in that small amount of space, but I got it done. :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes the Service Manual is not the BEST way to do things, thought I'd check :grin2:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't have a gen 5, but it's pretty much the same deal from what I can see. Just hope you don't have meat hands like me. I almost gave up, but ended up managing it the same way @tdh did. Knuckles bloody as hell, but it was done and looks nice and clean under there now.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think the GEN5 was harder/tighter than the GEN4, either that or it's just a case of more recent pain is stronger than older pain. :) The rubber mat was an extra pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I just cut lines on the rubber mat and took the stock things out....
pain in the ass..

a gixxer 15 min job... kawa 1 hour job.. panigale need beer and some friends angry wife time....

·
Registered
641 Posts
If it's easier to get to the breather hose, just stick a marble
in the breather hose and be done with it.

You can then tune it and do not have to worry about having a trouble code either.

In other words just plug the breather hose and down the road when you
do the valves you can install the block off plates and resistor.

I must be really cheap I usually don't use block off plates,
just easy to remove valve, use a piece of hose and connect the two together, done.

Or just leave the marble.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,686 Posts
I think the GEN5 was harder/tighter than the GEN4, either that or it's just a case of more recent pain is stronger than older pain. :) The rubber mat was an extra pain in the ass.
Ive done every gen...and the Gen 5 is def the hardest of them all.
I have pics in my thread. but the main thing is how tight they have the airbox latched down to the throttle bodies. you have to slip a 4mm or 5mm allen key to losen up to get the air box off....and its not that much space.

besides that..the rest is not too bad. way more electronics mounted in the way tho.

Reactions: tdh
1 - 11 of 11 Posts