Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, I was installing a new set of plastics last night, and when it came down to putting the bolts in for the front tire cover, the bolt head snapped off. I tried to use a drill bit to start a hole and get an extractor on it but it didn't work. I called the local shop but they're booked until December, and this is just a pain in the ass. I can't even breathe without this bike screwing me over. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle tire

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
How did it shear? Was it tight to wind in from the start, ie you threaded and forced it in, or did it seat home easy enough and you gave it too much muscle over torquing and then in broke. If its the former your going to most likely have to drill through slowly carefully patiently a few times starting from a small drill bit and increasing sizes until it dislodges, the thread will fubar and you will have to helicoil it. If its the later then maybe using a small reverse drill bit drill in slowly and possibly it will catch and wind the bolt out for you. The kawa bolts are not that tough so any decent quality drill bits should be sufficient.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Geezus. Front tire cover??? You mean the front fender? :confused: How big was your electric screw gun that you used to cross-thread the bolt and break the head off???

You got a couple options to fix that. Install the front fender with the other 3 bolts and glue the broken head to the plastic to make it look like it's there.

Or...

Get a small, sharp drillbit for drilling into metal and run that down into the bolt. The hole should be about half the diameter of the bolt. It needs to go in deep to get a good bite on the metal and then you can turn it out with the extractor. After you get it out, you'll have to chase the threads in the fork with a tap to clean and straighten the threads back out for a new bolt. Don't use a screw gun on the new bolt. It gets put in by hand with very little torque.

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geezus. Front tire cover??? You mean the front fender? :confused: How big was your electric screw gun that you used to cross-thread the bolt and break the head off???

You got a couple options to fix that. Install the front fender with the other 3 bolts and glue the broken head to the plastic to make it look like it's there.

Or...

Get a small, sharp drillbit for drilling into metal and run that down into the bolt. The hole should be about half the diameter of the bolt. It needs to go in deep to get a good bite on the metal and then you can turn it out with the extractor. After you get it out, you'll have to chase the threads in the fork with a tap to clean and straighten the threads back out for a new bolt. Don't use a screw gun on the new bolt. It gets put in by hand with very little torque.
i was using an alan key to put them in. just put too much behind one and the head snapped. thanks for the help.

·
The Pace
7,206 Posts

Or...

I'm going what the hell is this guy going on about. Next thought does anyone else understand this dialect? next, looked at pic and thought, crap, gonna have to get off my ass to look at the bikes to see what that is as doesn't link to memory.

THEN Sky came along before the recliner exit. thx!

Finally, wth? why would anyone dork with plastics unless totally wasted? If we had a real net based upon privacy, .love to upload my plastics. Look good kinda close up, unless you're a tech guy. Nothing gets by them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going what the hell is this guy going on about. Next thought does anyone else understand this dialect? next, looked at pic and thought, crap, gonna have to get off my ass to look at the bikes to see what that is as doesn't link to memory.

Finally, wth? why would anyone dork with plastics unless totally wasted? If we had a real net based upon privacy, .love to upload my plastics. Look good kinda close up, unless you're a tech guy. Nothing gets by them.
your comment did nothing, is this your way of letting off stress? maybe the old lady making you mad?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i was more confused by the last part of your reply than you were by my post, lay off the whiskey old man

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
your comment did nothing, is this your way of letting off stress? maybe the old lady making you mad?
It was a humorous, sarcastic response that was valid. I'm not sure how you broke that bolt with just an Allen key myself. The bolts aren't that weak, so you must be jacked to do that.

Welcome to the Interweb dude!

Off the grid

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a humorous, sarcastic response that was valid. I'm not sure how you broke that bolt with just an Allen key myself. The bolts aren't that weak, so you must be jacked to do that.

Welcome to the Interweb dude!

Off the grid
not sure if you remember but i was the dude who’s fairings flew away on a ride. instead of dropping close to 1k to replace those pieces i just bought a set of aftermarket race fairings. they come with the optional bolt kit to further customize so i went with those. they’re not the same bolts that are oem.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
not sure if you remember but i was the dude who’s fairings flew away on a ride. instead of dropping close to 1k to replace those pieces i just bought a set of aftermarket race fairings. they come with the optional bolt kit to further customize so i went with those. they’re not the same bolts that are oem.
Gotcha. I remember that incident posted, but didn't recognize the name. That helps explain what happened then. I would suggest not using those bolts though. Or was it not the right bolt for that thread that caused it to bind? Durant matter now. Just have to extract it and move on. Good luck.

Off the grid

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had worse...I had a coolant drain bolt snap on me. I was using a torque wrench and was still yet to get to the manual torque spec so I guess the bolt was just old. What I did is a grabbed a philips head screw drill bit and i tapped it into the the body of the bolt that was in the engine. I didn't go too crazy hammering it in, but it did make an indentation into the body of the bolt deep enough that it started grabbing. At that point i put the philips head bit into my screw gun, pressed very hard against the body of the bolt to get the most grip out of the indentation that I had made and sure enough I was able to drive the bolt right out.

You might have an even easier time doing this since you are likely dealing with a soft aluminum bolt.

·
Registered
Gen3
78 Posts
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 449359
It's difficult to understand how it broke, but I guess the bolt is not well made, and there's a fracture or whatever that caused it.

Thinking it, I would probably remove the whole fork, and try to unscrew the thing from the other side, instead of apply more clockwise force (drilling holes) to it. Grabbing the thin section properly will probably reduce the risk of breaking it while trying to remove that piece.

I would be desperate enough, to carve a trench deep enough for a flat driver bit, and unscrew it.
If you have a drill bit that goes through it, would be the best option.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts