Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the airbox back on after my spark plug change but didn't remember it looking like this so I took it all apart and I put it back together again and its still the same so maybe it was always like that. is that normal for you guys too for the airbox cover to not push all the way down into the throttle bodies and have gaps between the plastic. Double and triple checked it's a perfect fit everything lines up perfect that's just how it is. Also how did the spark plugs look 10,500 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think you're good. Don't really remember what it looked like

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,884 Posts
Did you loosen and properly retighten the clamping rings underneath? It should sit down flush.

The plugs look fine.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Needs to sit nice and snug against the throttle bodies, this looks very wrong. Check to see that some hose or cables haven't gotten in the way.

The plugs don't look so good. A lot of gummy varnish and deposits, the bike seems to be running rich or idling too much. I just pulled out the plugs on my GSX-R 750, they were clean as a whistle at 7500 miles, none of that varnish and buildup. We can't see the electrodes from the angle of the image anyway, but now you have nice new ones so it's all good. I use first-tier, premium gas always. Maybe that does help.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if you followed my other posts but I had a throttlebody cleaning incident and I have been doing a lot of idling to listen to the engine so that's probably why the plugs look the way they do ..

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't know what you're talking about clamping rings because the only things I touched was the five bolts to take out the airbox

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,884 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about clamping rings because the only things I touched was the five bolts to take out the airbox
Right. Well there's 2 allen head bolts underneath the bottom part of the airbox. Each bolt tightens the clamping rings around TBs 1&2 and 3&4. If you just yanked the airbox out of the throttlebodies, then you need to get under there with an allen key, loosen the rings, sit the box down, and retighten them.

BTW, the plugs look good to me. The slight discoloration and crap on the threads is somewhat normal and doesn't concern me. The electrode in the center has that light brown coloration that you're looking for. They look like they should with that kind of mileage on them.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,884 Posts
This is what I'm talking about. But.....I may be confusing the G2 with the G4. As you may not have removed the bottom plate to take the airbox out. :dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You're confusing the two I'll show you a picture of what I had under the airbox there was a plastic groove that fits together around the entire airbox with an O ring against this and then the throttle bodies just line up. Like male and female ends for the velocity stacks to go into the throttlebody. I just remember them being a tighter connection with no gaps but when I put the airbox back on top of the throttle bodies the airbox laid flush with the mounting nuts that holds it. all the bolt holes lied flush against each other which means it fit perfect. I didn't mess with anything the airbox grooves on the bottom seemed like they were permanent and the rubber boots on top of the throttle bodies didn't move so it should aligned up maybe it was always like that? I really don't feel like pulling it all apart today and doing an inspection . Is anyone changing the air filter anytime soon or cleaning it so they could check for me take some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
plugs look good. thin groove locates the airbox to fit flush and seal. had to move mine around this week to set it in place. once there box will not twist or move around, locked there and will bolt down flush. bolt holes will line up with box out of groove. also make sure no wires between box and tb plate ur showing it bolts to. mine was trying to do same. should be flush.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
plugs look good. thin groove locates the airbox to fit flush and seal. had to move mine around this week to set it in place. once there box will not twist or move around, locked there and will bolt down flush. bolt holes will line up with box out of groove. also make sure no wires between box and tb plate ur showing it bolts to. mine was trying to do same. should be flush.
there was definitely nothing iin the way. the box fit into its gove perfectly. you can see in my picture there is no obstructions. you saying you also had gaps? but then you got it to not have gaps??
I also did what u said. twisted side by side and it was locked. but I guess ill take the airbox completely out again and really look

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
SD isn't confusing. quite frankly, I have no idea how you pulled the cover out without loosening the bitch Allen bolts. Yes. They are a bitch to get to.. might have ripped something ... dont know. I know mine wouldn't move without loosening them

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
SD isn't confusing. quite frankly, I have no idea how you pulled the cover out without loosening the bitch Allen bolts. Yes. They are a bitch to get to.. might have ripped something ... dont know. I know mine wouldn't move without loosening them
I have no idea what your talking about?? I took out the 5 allen bolts that hold the airbox down.. you know I have a gen 2 right? I posted pics of what my stuff looks like page one

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,884 Posts
I have no idea what your talking about?? I took out the 5 allen bolts that hold the airbox down.. you know I have a gen 2 right? I posted pics of what my stuff looks like page one
Yeah, my bad. The clamping rings I talked about before hold the G4 airbox to the TBs. On the Gen 2, they hold the TBs to the intake runners. The image I showed earlier were out of the Gen 2 manual, it's just in a different spot on the later bike. I was confused on that.

If you got the bolts tight to mate the airbox to the lower plate, there's not much else you're going to be able to do. The slide-fit for the velocity stacks in there is going to be the way it is. Ideally they should fit down completely, but the plastic can bend and the rubber boots may not completely fill the opening. Is it going to make a noticeable difference? Nope. If you can put some force on them to see if they'll squeeze in there a little more that's about as good as you're going to get on them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, my bad. The clamping rings I talked about before hold the G4 airbox to the TBs. On the Gen 2, they hold the TBs to the intake runners. The image I showed earlier were out of the Gen 2 manual, it's just in a different spot on the later bike. I was confused on that.

If you got the bolts tight to mate the airbox to the lower plate, there's not much else you're going to be able to do. The slide-fit for the velocity stacks in there is going to be the way it is. Ideally they should fit down completely, but the plastic can bend and the rubber boots may not completely fill the opening. Is it going to make a noticeable difference? Nope. If you can put some force on them to see if they'll squeeze in there a little more that's about as good as you're going to get on them.
im going to pull the airbox again and inspect everything cause I swear when I pulled it out it wasn't like that. I have a very good attention to detail and I would have noticed that

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just pulled the airbox out inspected everything and put it back together and it's still the same way both mounting services go completely flush together except the grooves don't go all the way in on the throttle bodies . I can't see how I could ever make them flush because there's nothing to adjust

1 - 17 of 17 Posts