Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased a gas tank off a 49 state zx10r and was wondering if I can go ahead and install it as long as I get rid of the Kleen air system on the Cali bike. Now the reason I ask is because the thread on how to do the kleen air mod says we should keep the hose(blue line) as a vent, but the 49 state tank does not have the blue hose. So I guess the question is, is there anything more I need to do to make the tank work with my bike? All inputs will be very much appreciated.
Here is a diagram to reference the blue line I'm referring to.

http://zx-10r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82362&d=1227500643

·
Registered
18 Posts
The "blue" line off your Cali tank ran into that charcoal can on the Kleen system which caught the minute gasoline vapor vented from the tank. The non-Cali tank don't have it since no Kleen air bs, I believe it's internally vented like all other tanks. I did the same swap, removed the Kleen air and swapped tanks. Nothing I had to do bike runs like normal.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "blue" line off your Cali tank ran into that charcoal can on the Kleen system which caught the minute gasoline vapor vented from the tank. The non-Cali tank don't have it since no Kleen air bs, I believe it's internally vented like all other tanks. I did the same swap, removed the Kleen air and swapped tanks. Nothing I had to do bike runs like normal.
Thanks for the info. Did the sound of the engine change in anyway after the kleen air mod?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't say for sure because I did this when I had motor out of bike doing internal work so by the time bike ran again it didn't sound the same at all. However, IMO, I don't think that taking off the Kleen system could effect engine "sound"- it didn't connect to anything profound or that would resonate engine sounds or create new ones. Possibly another member will have this answer.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,018 Posts
Ignore the blue hose rubbish, it's a safety hazard! I remember thinkign that when I originally read it. No modern bikes that I knwo of have a simple pipe into teh tank as a vent, it's a safety hazard as gas can spill from it!

My UK bike you could leave on it's side, turn upside down or, if you were a giant, shake about, and no gas leaks from the tank. They have a 1-way valve in the filler cap to let air INTO the tank, so the gas can drain into your FI system. If the internal pressure in the tank exceeds a certain level the pressure pushes the seal on the gas cap up to vent to atmosphere. Even on the CALI bikes!

(That squeak you sometimes get when it's hot and standing still engine off...)

Rob

PS. The Kleen modification that makes your bike not "pop" on the over-run, throttle close, under engine braking, is if you block off the air bypass valves in the cylinder head, also part of the KLEEN system, but nothing to do with gas vapour emission from your tank.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,018 Posts
If its NOT a vapor line, what was it for? I agree it was useless but was under impression it was a recovery line.
It is a vapour line...

Heres how I understand the system: (there may be some mistakes)
1. Gas vapours are collected from the tanks and routed to the vapour separators: 16165 in that picture.
The purpose of the vapour separator is to only send gas vapours to the carbon canister, and liquid gas can damage it.
2. You can see the carbon canister(16164) is connected to the vapour seperator(16165) and then to your throttle bodies.
3. Captured vapours are released into the throttle bodies under certain circumstances to burn off the capture vapours in your engine. I think normal inlet manifold vacuum is used to suck the captured vapours from the canister.

****Now I think my prior belief may have been wrong. This is what I USED to believe:
I used to believe the red line is a return line to return liquid gas back to your tank. Both the blue and red lines should terminate near the top of the tank as they are not gas pickup lines, but vapour lines.

But... It looks like they MIGHT use the heat of the engine to evaporate the liquid gas and also burn that off in the engine, see the "ref radiator" bit in the picture.

Not sure.

On a non-cali bike, all these vents/pipes are missing and the tank is NOT vented at all, other than the aforementioned one-way valve to allow air into the tank.

Rob

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a vapour line...

Heres how I understand the system: (there may be some mistakes)
1. Gas vapours are collected from the tanks and routed to the vapour separators: 16165 in that picture.
The purpose of the vapour separator is to only send gas vapours to the carbon canister, and liquid gas can damage it.
2. You can see the carbon canister(16164) is connected to the vapour seperator(16165) and then to your throttle bodies.
3. Captured vapours are released into the throttle bodies under certain circumstances to burn off the capture vapours in your engine. I think normal inlet manifold vacuum is used to suck the captured vapours from the canister.

****Now I think my prior belief may have been wrong. This is what I USED to believe:
I used to believe the red line is a return line to return liquid gas back to your tank. Both the blue and red lines should terminate near the top of the tank as they are not gas pickup lines, but vapour lines.

But... It looks like they MIGHT use the heat of the engine to evaporate the liquid gas and also burn that off in the engine, see the "ref radiator" bit in the picture.

Not sure.

On a non-cali bike, all these vents/pipes are missing and the tank is NOT vented at all, other than the aforementioned one-way valve to allow air into the tank.

Rob
Thanks for elaborating. Very helpful. I have had no problems with the gas tank after ripping out all the emission stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts