Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my vortex rearsets on my 06 zx-10r today and I had a problem with the shift lever hitting the spring on the kickstand. Has anyone else has this problem? I know there are a couple of people on here who have installed vortex rearsets on their 06's. It would hit the spring no matter how high or low I went with it. I flipped the spring around to give it a little more clearance but that did not help. I just put a hose clamp on the spring to keep it close to the kickstand till I can find another solution. Here is a pic of the problem.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
treyzx10r said:
yea just trade em in on some Sato's:wink:
Had satos on my 04 and the quality is pretty close. Vortex makes really nice stuff, except for their rear sprockets. I went with the vortex rearsets because they had more adjusting points than the satos and all any other than I found and I need that because the 06 has the pegs moved up and it cramps my knees. I am 6'5" and the vortex rearsets put me in a nice comfortable position. I actually like the feel of the vortex pegs better than the sato pegs, much more grip on the vortex pegs.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
strongbear0 said:
Had satos on my 04 and the quality is pretty close. Vortex makes really nice stuff, except for their rear sprockets. I went with the vortex rearsets because they had more adjusting points than the satos and all any other than I found and I need that because the 06 has the pegs moved up and it cramps my knees. I am 6'5" and the vortex rearsets put me in a nice comfortable position. I actually like the feel of the vortex pegs better than the sato pegs, much more grip on the vortex pegs.
I remembered you saying that at bike nite last nite thats why I was bustin' on ya:mrgreen: that spring fix looks to be a bit of a poser hopefully it will be an easy fix good luck on that:thumbsup:

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
treyzx10r said:
I remembered you saying that at bike nite last nite thats why I was bustin' on ya:mrgreen: that spring fix looks to be a bit of a poser hopefully it will be an easy fix good luck on that:thumbsup:
What's up Trey. I didn't look at the name, but I am a little intoxicated so it's expected:beer: . I will probably drill and tap the backside of the kickstand and move the spring there, hopefully that will work.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
oneradten said:
yea that shifter looks wayyyy to low !!

That's were it is comfortable for me. You have to remember that I am a tall guy and that really effects the angle that I need the shifter at. My legs are at much more of an angle than someone who is shorter. If it were any higher I would have to lift my foot off of the peg to shift and that would not be good.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
10 speed said:
you have your mounting plates on the wrong sides..they should go up not down. swap the plates
:+1:

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10 speed said:
you have your mounting plates on the wrong sides..they should go up not down. swap the plates
Didn't make any difference. I had them on the right way and it still hit when I put them at the lowest two positions. All you guys are showing me pics of 04/05's and they are not the same. When I talked to vortex the other day they told me that you could swap the brackets to give a little more leg room so that's what I did. I tried to call them yesterday but they were closed when I called. In almost any position the spring touches the shifter if I did not have the clamp holding tight to the kickstand.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
yea a very severe downward angle for sure but if thats the best position so be it, however it doesn't look like vortex accounted for this when doing R&D.

BD

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Daddy said:
yea a very severe downward angle for sure but if thats the best position so be it, however it doesn't look like vortex accounted for this when doing R&D.

BD
It's just the angle that I need it at to shift without lifting a foot. I would assume it's because I have really long legs for my height.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
uhhh another good thing to do is go to your local bike salvage yard and try different shift rods. my shift rod after installing my quick shifter had to be slightly bent... alittle curve in it and now it works great... hope that helps.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10 speed said:
uhhh another good thing to do is go to your local bike salvage yard and try different shift rods. my shift rod after installing my quick shifter had to be slightly bent... alittle curve in it and now it works great... hope that helps.
The shift rod isn't my problem. it's the shifter itself. That's what is hitting the kickstand spring.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tuzem said:
:+1:

Wow! That thing is low! Would it not drag on a steep left corner?! Mine sits at least 2" highter.

-Nick
Ok so I should put it higher and not be able to shift? I am almost 6'6" tall and I wear a size 13 shoe. I put the thing where I can reach it without lifting my foot to downshift. Read the thread people.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
strongbear0 said:
Ok so I should put it higher and not be able to shift? I am almost 6'6" tall and I wear a size 13 shoe. I put the thing where I can reach it without lifting my foot to downshift. Read the thread people.

Take off the clown shoes, and raise that shifter....:spit:

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KaTooM said:
Take off the clown shoes, and raise that shifter....:spit:
That was pretty good. Whish I could and I wish I was smaller somtimes becasue it would be so much more fun to ride if I was 5'10". At least I don't weigh 280lbs, that would really slow the bike down.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts