Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the majority of the afternoon installing some new bits on the 10. Rear wave rotor, Ti rotor bolts front and rear, Alum sproket nuts, Ti rear caliper bolts, and Gafer pads all 'round.

The fugging stock rotor bolts are a bitch to remove. Fug'n tons of locktite.

The coonass scale says I may have reduce unsprung weight by a half pound all together. :dontknow:

I was going to have my Pilot Powers installed too but my tire mounting connecting went and got a job. The nerve of some people.

All ended well with only three knuckles missing skin. ...the proud badge of the shade tree mechanic!

And no, there are no pics. Everything looks stock except the rear rotor and if you don't know what a gafer wave rotor looks like...... :fu2:

Impressings forthcoming. S'posed to hit a few curves Sunday morning.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to pop them with just my long allen set but each one stung the crap out of my hand when it gave.

I really don't remember how much I paid. I bought them used off BNninja though.. They are "Tasty Nuts".

..ok, let the smart ass comments fly...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Miykl i'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to mods & aftermarket goodies but the alum rear sprocket nuts has me SKEEEEEERED big time.

BD

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Daddy said:
Miykl i'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to mods & aftermarket goodies but the alum rear sprocket nuts has me SKEEEEEERED big time.

BD
I was doubtfull too when BN mentioned them. I've stripped and broken many Alum fasteners back in my cycling days. I was pleasantly suprised to see they come "helicoiled" from the get go. They torqued up no problem. (coonass torque wrench of course = elbow)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
3/8" impact is a godsend for those rotor bolts and for the sprocket carrier. :wink: I can't even imagine doing ANY of that stuff without air tools.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike felt good today. Maybe a bit more planted. The biggest improvement is the front brakes. 1 finger, stop on a dime. I damn near went over!

I know everone say to remove the heat sync disks, but I installed mine with the new pads. I see no way that a thin piece of metal would cause squishiness. One thing I have noticed though, is evey time I spread the calipers, I get much better brakes for a few hundred miles. Makes no sence. ...Unless air is getting in the calipers and spreading them gets it out???

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I sent you SBS pads, not galfer....get it straight son. The galfer's sucked IMO. The SBS have a bite and a grip with feel.
Those bolts were about 11oz in savings combined with the rotor.
I also put the 43ft lbs of torque on those aluminum sprocket nuts and they work to spec. Never had one loosen on me. The new sato rearsets on the MV, 1 ride and they were almost falling apart! El D was so right, locktite the hell out of um.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahhhhhh, Whatever! LOL SBS, galfer... what's the difference?? They do feel good though!

BN- did you notice the front pads make alot of noise?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts