Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when installing the Akra system I noticed that they include a spacer that goes behind the bolt that holds the radiator bracket to the front of the engine case. Akra claims 106 in/lbs and after double checking with the service manual on page 4-16..it seems the actual TQ is 62 in/lbs. Going to re install at 62 in/lbs..but hopefully did not strip threads into the friggin engine cases because I blindly trusted the installation instructions..man would I feel like a jerk. Any idea why they might think (guess?) 106 in/lbs?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
People torque those? I don't think the factory even torques those? If the bolt didn't break you're fine.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I wouldn't. I typically torque something like that GNT (good n' tight)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only possible reason I could see them using a higher TQ value is because they showed it being done with a universal joint...which affects the TQ. I hate threading shit into aluminum haha.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
So when installing the Akra system I noticed that they include a spacer that goes behind the bolt that holds the radiator bracket to the front of the engine case. Akra claims 106 in/lbs and after double checking with the service manual on page 4-16..it seems the actual TQ is 62 in/lbs. Going to re install at 62 in/lbs..but hopefully did not strip threads into the friggin engine cases because I blindly trusted the installation instructions..man would I feel like a jerk. Any idea why they might think (guess?) 106 in/lbs?
sorry if i came in late, but what model of bike is this and can you please post some pics!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:+1:

...it's just a radiator support and we're only talkin' about 4 ft-lbs difference.

Are you one of the people that torque the filter and drain plug to exact specs also?

Sometimes...I have absolutely zero feel for bolts into aluminum...and since this is into the engine cases..I am being super anal.

Anyhow...I got an update from Akra. They maintain that 106 in/lbs is the standard for a 6mm bolt..and Kawi says 62 in the manual.

So...I found a lockwasher and a thin washer that have roughly the same thickness of the washer they provided...it was a weird shape and got deformed when tightened.

I then re-installed with a it of threadlock to a skosh over the 62 in/lb setting.

The only reason the washer is even required is due to the new headers coming closer to the radiator over the stockers.

On another note..the bike sounds absolutely amazing..and it feels like the flat spot around 6k is gone. Holy cow it's loud though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts