Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attempting to install an MSD Launch Master. It calls for tapping a wire coming off of the clutch switch, specifically that will ground out when the clutch is pulled in, thus activating the Launch Master. I located the clutch switch and the two possible wires. One of the wires is black with a red stripe down it. The second wire is black with silver marks/tabs on it.

Which wire do I need to tap?

Also, does anyone know or have an idea for a better location than at the clutch switch itself for soldering and heat wrapping the connection?

The rest of the installation looks fairly simple with connecting the remaining plugs to each of the stick coils and a good ground. If I am missing anything else, please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Attempting to install an MSD Launch Master. It calls for tapping a wire coming off of the clutch switch, specifically that will ground out when the clutch is pulled in, thus activating the Launch Master. I located the clutch switch and the two possible wires. One of the wires is black with a red stripe down it. The second wire is black with silver marks/tabs on it.

Which wire do I need to tap?

Also, does anyone know or have an idea for a better location than at the clutch switch itself for soldering and heat wrapping the connection?

The rest of the installation looks fairly simple with connecting the remaining plugs to each of the stick coils and a good ground. If I am missing anything else, please feel free to chime in. Thanks.
do you have a multi meter? it can be used to show for sure which one is which.... I'm willing to bet though that the black wire will be your constant ground as it is in most cases and once you pull the clutch in, it will connect that black with silver on it to ground..... that wire will be in your LH switch housing, I'm sure you can follow the wiring down somewhere under the tank if you want it out of the way. it will lead all the way back to the relay boxes....

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have a multi meter? it can be used to show for sure which one is which.... I'm willing to bet though that the black wire will be your constant ground as it is in most cases and once you pull the clutch in, it will connect that black with silver on it to ground
Both of the wires are black, haha! One has a red stripe running the length of it, the other has silver tab marks on it. I'm not sure which one you are suggesting to tap based on the above? Also, yes I have a multimeter, what setting does it need to be on and what should I look for number wise in both situations? (clutch out vs. clutch pulled in) I am VERY bad with electrical stuff...

I'm sure you can follow the wiring down somewhere under the tank if you want it out of the way. it will lead all the way back to the relay boxes...
Looking at the manual it shows the wires leading to a plug well before the relay box, and at that point, they change color as well it appears. However I did find the plug under the ram air duct underneath the gauge panel, so I may just tap it there. Once I determine exactly which wire I need.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Sorry forgot to type back to ya.... what your going to want to do is hook up the multi meter to the switch on either one of the leads and look for continuity from ground to the wire. which ever wire has continuity that will be your constant ground, the other wire will be your "trip" wire, then you can hold the continuity test on that wire but pull the clutch in, once its in you should hear the meter telling you its grounded.... put the meter in the mode where you can hear a buzzer when you touch both of the probes together.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry forgot to type back to ya.... what your going to want to do is hook up the multi meter to the switch on either one of the leads and look for continuity from ground to the wire. which ever wire has continuity that will be your constant ground, the other wire will be your "trip" wire, then you can hold the continuity test on that wire but pull the clutch in, once its in you should hear the meter telling you its grounded.... put the meter in the mode where you can hear a buzzer when you touch both of the probes together.
Ah, makes sense. I'll give it a try and report back with findings, thanks Garth!

·
Registered
2 Posts
MSD launch Master

I just finished installing a launch master on my ZX11. If you are having problems making it activate or release remember that the same wire you are tapping on the clutch switch also goes to the kickstand switch and the neutral switch. you must be in gear and kickstand up. On the wiring diagram it shows connections for clutch pressed and released. you want to find the constant ground and follow it to the output while pressed. Also, you will want to make sure you are on the clicks on RPM adjustment screws. If it is between click positions it will not work. Hope this helps

1996 ZX-11
1978 KZ1000
2000 HD Fatboy

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks like this thread died, without a clear answer. I'm facing the same issue with my Gen3 zx10. Everything is wired up, got it to work (kickstand down), then put the kick stand up and it activated the launch master without the clutch engaged.
Tried disconnecting the kickstand switch which worked, until, I put the bike in gear, which killed it.

Where do I need to connect the activation wire, at the switch, in the harness in another location?

Has anybody done this install and just bypassed the kickstand switch?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I ended up bypassing the kickstand switch. One thing that made things so difficult was I discovered a short in the MSD harness. I pulled the box and sent it back to MSD to get it fixed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I also tied into the safety switch wire that goes to the relay box.

·
Registered
376 Posts
works perfectly after picking up the signal at the relay box. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
376 Posts
yeah, you and I both. Trying to interpret a wiring diagram is like staring at another language and wondering what it says.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can you expand beyond need help.... Launch control.?
What's the issue? Are u trying to tune msd launch master or a factory launch setting?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts