Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I don't mind doin all my electrical installs and services on my bike. But when it comes to brakes on my new '08........ummm yeah that's kinda pushin it for me. Anyhow I picked up Jimmy Jams Galfer Moto GP SS lines, yea the new ones that wrap in front of the forks:mrgreen:. Only problem is I'm fn scared to death to do the install. I'm mechanically inclined but lack of some tools bc of my recent pcs:badteeth:. Now How do I do this especially without a torque wrench. I've read up and up on threads and the web on how to do it, and there are a shit ton of different installs. I guess I'm asking for the best way and tips from you experienced members that have done this to make sure my fn breaks work and hopefully have improved:thefinger. So please any insight would be great. Also which brake fluid should I use. I live in Virginia Beach so I dunno if the weather would affect the oil, but I also want to change my dampener fluid thicker while doing this, any recomendations on that fluid as well?? And is the secondary butterfly removal for the '08 10r as well? If so Would love to do this! I have 2 days this weekend and 4 next weekend. But of course I'm impatient and have some beer ready. So please I'd like to start ASAFP :eek:ccasion1 Thnaks alot fellas
Blake :helmet:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have the same GP lines and did the installation a couple months back. It's very straight forward, and easy as long as you are careful with the brake fluid. Not only is it toxic, it'll mess with painted surfaces.

I would recommend getting a torque wrench and/or a Mityvac bleeding tool, but if you don't, just don't go crazy tightening the banjo bolts as they are only aluminum (usually 13ft-lbs) and be prepared to use a lot of brake fluid and patience when bleeding it.

You should have received instructions with your kit, but if not, I still have mine. I could scan them if you needed them.

As for brake fluid, if you are a street rider DOT4 is more than good enough. DOT5&6 usually don' offer that much more of an advantage in wet boiling point (nor do you really need it on the street). Unless you're flushing your fluid bi-yearly and keep the bike dry all the time, there isn't much of a point. I have used Motul 5.1 with good results.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
I agree on mityvac. Like I have said on my previous posts regarding bleeding, once you've tried bleeding with a MityVac, you wouldnt bleed bikes without it ever again.

Replacing the lines should all be the same in all bikes.

Remove all fluid, install lines, bleed properly.

...and a lot of rags :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
i agree on mityvac. Like i have said on my previous posts regarding bleeding, once you've tried bleeding with a mityvac, you wouldnt bleed bikes without it ever again.

Replacing the lines should all be the same in all bikes.

Remove all fluid, install lines, bleed properly.

...and a lot of rags :thumbsup:
:+1:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And where do I obtain one of these MityVac badboys :dontknow:

·
Registered
512 Posts
You can get mity vac from most hardware stores, and Auto part stores. I got mine from Harbor Freights.

Changing lines is soooo easy, but like above have lots of rags on hand for fluid drips or spillage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts