Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK thought I'd start this post for those of you who are interested on whats inside these zx-10rs as well as a small dis-assembly guide. I'll go threw and show you what to take off to remove the body work down to the airbox here.

First step remove rear seat... obiovusly... there are 4 screws that hold down the rear tail section top cover, you will need a 4mm allen wrench for this.

Pic of cover removed.

These are the connectors in the tail section the 3 on the LH side of photo are for LH and RH turn signal as well as tag light. The plug on the RH side is for a diagnostics port and the other black one I have no idea what its used for but the jumpers inside if they are all not in there the bike will not start. possibly a security attachment?

Pics of caps off those connectors

To remove seat remove the 2 10mm headed bolts and slide off... pic of under the seat...

time to remove the tank, there are only 2 bolts that hold this piece on, one up front and one on the back

pic of the panel off, and the LH panels junction box that is attached, just disconnect those plugs and remove.

forgot to take a pic of the 2 bolts that hold the front tank cover as well but heres a pic of it off, you can see the air box sensor in there, just go ahead and unp[lug that now as well (if removing airbox)

remove the side tank bolts (8mm head)

And remove the 2 rear tank bracket bolts (5mm allen) also disconnect the fuel pump connector (pictured right above the battery)

Remove the fuel tank (couldnt get a pic of the fuel line clip but pretty obvious you need to remove that as well)

pic of tank off

I think theres about 8 bolts that hold the top part of the air box on all philips headed, real easy to remove, pic of airbox open

Remove the rubber cover off the ECU and unplug

You then can unscrew the 2 clamps on the bottom side of the airbox and remove the airbox.

I went ahead and removed the clean air valve, blocked off the airbox holes and straight piped that connector (you must keep valve connected to the harness though or FI light will be thrown!)

MORE TO COME SOON

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Good info. So the secondaries are open with ignition turned off? Also, looks like space is very minimal in the intended tail section. Removal of the exhaust servo motor will free up much needed space for aftermarket electronics.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Maybe that plug with the jumpers is part of the euro imobilizer that I assume the eurobikes will have like the older bikes did?
Then they would just have the different ign switch and a box plugged into that plug to make it work and not have an entirely diffent wiring harness to produce. Just a shot in the dark though.

Anyways- subscribed.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe that plug with the jumpers is part of the euro imobilizer that I assume the eurobikes will have like the older bikes did?
Then they would just have the different ign switch and a box plugged into that plug to make it work and not have an entirely diffent wiring harness to produce. Just a shot in the dark though.

Anyways- subscribed.
that sounds very reasonable... I noticed on my buddys gsxr750 it had the same kinda plug I wonder if it is something like that....

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Good stuff Garth.. How big is the battery compared to previous Gen zx10's models?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good post. Keep the info. coming. I just might buy one of these 2011's.

The 2nd set have been like that since 08.
:+1:

MUCH better fuel atomization at higher RPM's there are a total of 8 injectors on this bike just a FYI incase anyone was wondering

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Interesting shape to the intake stacks.

Wonder why the moved the ECU and Relay box up front? Moving weight up front, or trying to save weight with shorter wires in the harness?:idea::dontknow:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Wonder why the moved the ECU and Relay box up front? Moving weight up front, or trying to save weight with shorter wires in the harness?:idea::dontknow:
putting together a video right now which is a lil preview of why you would need weight up front lol....

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts

I'm thinking shorter wiring and less stuff to fit into that slim tail section bodywork. It's also well protected in there.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts