Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a hairline crack in my oil pan that needs repair or replace, and of course i had to drop the headers to take it off. Now since my headers are on the floor i figure thi is prime time to knock those blasted honey combs out. alredy have racefit can so id like to finish the deed. i have searched and cant find anyone who has done it. if there is... what did you use to knock them out? any input would be helpful before i start wailing away with my 4lb hammer!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
A friend of mine cut the tip off the header at the weld, drilled out the honey combs, and had the tip welded back on. Not an easy job for sure, but he claimed an 8Hp gain on the dyno doing the mod to his '08 (with a re-tune of course). That platinum is hard and getting at them going through the single opening into 2 different pipes is going to be a PITA.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I helped my friend remove his on this cbr, we used a really long 1/2 extension and got most of it out. There is just not a lot of room to work with.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm going to do mine over the winter. Going to just cut the cats out and replace with straight pipe and then have the whole headers ceramic coated.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn, i dont know anyone with that kind of welding expertise. im down for the week anyway while i wait for a new oil pan but now this is looking like something i may not want to tackle now.

·
Registered
874 Posts
damn, i dont know anyone with that kind of welding expertise. im down for the week anyway while i wait for a new oil pan but now this is looking like something i may not want to tackle now.
i'd do it for you, but you'd have to send it to me in NJ... but for that price you could prob just take it to a local mechanic that does exhaust systems and they could do it for you. If you know how to weld and work with exhaust systems this mod really isnt anything special to do.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd do it for you, but you'd have to send it to me in NJ... but for that price you could prob just take it to a local mechanic that does exhaust systems and they could do it for you. If you know how to weld and work with exhaust systems this mod really isnt anything special to do.
are these headers titanium?

·
Registered
874 Posts
are these headers titanium?
Def not titanium. I'm pretty sure they are stainless, but I haven't yet bent over with a magnet to test it. I'm going downstairs near my bike in a few, maybe I"ll check it out.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Def not titanium. I'm pretty sure they are stainless, but I haven't yet bent over with a magnet to test it. I'm going downstairs near my bike in a few, maybe I"ll check it out.
Nope, I was wrong. It is either a higher grade steel or an aluminumized steel like they use in car application. (helps to resit rust). It is definitely magnetic which means its not stainless. This makes the welding and getiing replacement pipe even easier than I thought it would be with the stainless.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Best mod I've ever done - well worth the 3 hours it took to clean that sucker out.

It takes a 24" drill bit or screw driver hammer and a lot of work to thoroughly clean it out. That crap is all the way up the header pipes.

Here's a how-to
but this is not that easy with 4 headers on the ZX-10.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best mod I've ever done - well worth the 3 hours it took to clean that sucker out.

It takes a 24" drill bit or screw driver hammer and a lot of work to thoroughly clean it out. That crap is all the way up the header pipes.

Here's a how-to YouTube - 2004 yamaha r1 y-pipe gut but this is not that easy with 4 headers on the ZX-10.
so you did this on your 08?

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
"philips head deals" that guy was funny!! Good vid though, and that is about it. You will get the majority of it out quick and then spend the rest of your time digging DEEP for the rest.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Had it done at the local shop. It took 3 hours at $45 an hour - well worth it though. I saw what it looked like with headers removed and it was not an easy task.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Had it done at the local shop. It took 3 hours at $45 an hour - well worth it though. I saw what it looked like with headers removed and it was not an easy task.
Thats why I'm just gunna cut out the whole chamber and replace it with straight pipe... sooo much easier. just cut and weld. Prob less than an hour.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thats why I'm just gunna cut out the whole chamber and replace it with straight pipe... sooo much easier. just cut and weld. Prob less than an hour.
I was going to do that - took it to a muffler shop I use for my car, but they wouldn't touch it..

·
Registered
874 Posts
I was going to do that - took it to a muffler shop I use for my car, but they wouldn't touch it..
I don't see why not... for a muffler shop it should be so basic. Luckily I have the tools and ability to do it all myself.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Oh, they make good custom exhaust for cars, but something about laws permitting their employees to work on motorcycles.
Maybe it has to do with the cat removal... technically its illegal to remove the cats on a vehicle that is to be operated on the street.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts