Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so last month at the trackday my 2004 ZX10 overheated. By turn 3 the temp went up about 60 degrees. The temp was flashing hi and the fi light was on. Today me and my boy removed the thermostat thinking that was the problem maybe it was staying closed. Took it out on the street and it ran fine, overheating problem solved the temp stayed at about 180. So now the bike is fine we bleed the brakes and safety wire everything. Turn the key and the bike won't start, won't turn over, fuel pump kicks in, But that's it and when you push the start button the fi light flashes. We take her apart again and put it in dealer mode. It flashes once then three times wich means error code 13. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I take it your model is an 04?

I don't have an 04 service manual, but on the 08/09, code 13 is Primary Injector #1.

Did you take apart any of that and perhaps failed to hook it back up completely?
Nah we checked everything, yes it's a 04. The crazy thing is I took the damn thing out and ran it up and down the street ran perfect. Bring it back and bleed the brakes and safety wire everythi g and it wong start?

·
Registered
139 Posts
code 13 is inlet air temperature sensor
3-54 FUEL SYSTEM (DFI)

Inlet Air Temperature Sensor (Service Code 13)

Removal/Installation

CAUTION

Never drop the sensor, especially on a hard surface.

Such a shock to the sensor can damage it.

•Remove the fuel tank (see Fuel Tank Removal). •Disconnect the connector [A] from the inlet air temperature

sensor. •Pull out the inlet air temperature sensor .

•Install the inlet air temperature sensor [A] in the grommet

Output Voltage Inspection

NOTE

○Be sure the battery is fully charged.

•Remove the ECU (see this chapter). Do not disconnect

the ECU connectors. •Connect a digital voltmeter to the ECU connector, using

needle adapter set.

Special Tool - Needle Adapter Set: 57001-1457

Inlet Air Temperature Sensor Output Voltage

Connections to ECU Connector

Meter (+) → Y lead (terminal 11)

Meter (–) → BR/BK lead (terminal 59)

•Measure the sensor output voltage with the engine

stopped and the connector joined. •Turn the ignition switch ON.

Output Voltage at ECU

Standard: about 2.25 ∼ 2.50 V at inlet air

temperature 20°C (68°F)

NOTE

○The output voltage changes according to the inlet air

temperature.

•Turn the ignition switch OFF.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
i had a similar issue with my turbo install. the sensor was suppose to be relocated. i thought i secured it out of the way but it ended up bellow my throttle bodies. during cruise the temp would be fine, during idle or putting around itd spike. id also get a random fault too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The sensor has since been replaced with one that works. After talking with a guy that sells parts locally he said that it wouldn't be a fatal type fault and keep the bike from starting. I am now guessing that there is either a broken wire, a wire came loose in a plug or some insulation has been torn and is shorting out causing the light to flash. Every connection is good physically so I guess it's time to start probing around with a test light and meter. Man I hate poking holes in wires ;(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nah we checked everything, yes it's a 04. The crazy thing is I took the damn thing out and ran it up and down the street ran perfect. Bring it back and bleed the brakes and safety wire everythi g and it wong start?
Maybe it's because I had to use my cursed drill press to pop a few more holes in the caliper bolts.. haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts