Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about wheels. I have been looking into getting a set of the BST carbon fiber wheels for some time but now with this motor issue I am looking into other alternatives. I like the dymag mag wheels as well but I haven't heard too much about them. I had also thought about getting my stock wheels powder coated bright red just to do something different. Any info in the dymags and the bst's would be appreciated. :badteeth:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Well I have a set of BST`s on my 10 and they flat rock!!!! goto www.blackstonetek.com and you will find out everything you want to know about them. If ya got any questions shoot me a pm and Id be happy to help ya out. :eek:ccasion1

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
This particular notoriously-conservative mechanical engineer doesn't yet trust magnesium or composites (fiberglass, carbon fiber) in that application.

What I've seen of ANYthing made of magnesium is that it is brittle. If you hit a nasty bump or pothole with a forged aluminium-alloy wheel, it will probably bend, unless the impact is so catastrophic that no wheel could survive it. Magnesium tends to crack rather than stretch and bend. I have seen a crash at Shannonville which appears to have been caused when a fancy magnesium wheel on a Ducati split at the bead-seating area, causing the wheel to bend, which locked the front wheel at the end of the back straightaway ... The bike was not all that badly damaged except for bodywork and the usual levers and footpegs; the front wheel was the only thing with a major structural failure (it's not like some other cases that have shown up on the internet in which the whole bike was totally thrashed and someone's trying to blame a wheel).

Composites can be extremely strong in the directions that the fibers are oriented, and extremely weak in other directions. Apparently the BST wheels are DOT-approved, though, which theoretically means that some engineer with more knowledge (or blind faith?) than myself has approved them.

Don't use any wheel that isn't DOT approved, regardless of its construction.

I'd stick with good old forged aluminium, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maze I have ran Dymag magnesium and Carbons on nearly everyone of my land speed busas and Zx-12s at maxton gone over 218mph on them with 340hp and never had one single issue. the #8 busa of Yancy that just went 260 mph also used Dymag mags and has had them for years on the bike.

Dymag is simply the best and safest made and they ARE DOT approved for street use which most wheels are not.

I have gale speed forged aluminum currently on the 10 less expensive but not the same weight loss of the mag or carbons

Don

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rotts4u said:
Maze I have ran Dymag magnesium and Carbons on nearly everyone of my land speed busas and Zx-12s at maxton gone over 218mph on them with 340hp and never had one single issue. the #8 busa of Yancy that just went 260 mph also used Dymag mags and has had them for years on the bike.

Dymag is simply the best and safest made and they ARE DOT approved for street use which most wheels are not.

I have gale speed forged aluminum currently on the 10 less expensive but not the same weight loss of the mag or carbons

Don
Thanks. Any word on your bike yet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
LordBadly said:
Well I have a set of BST`s on my 10 and they flat rock!!!! goto www.blackstonetek.com and you will find out everything you want to know about them. If ya got any questions shoot me a pm and Id be happy to help ya out. :eek:ccasion1
I had BST's on my RC51 and they were fabulous. Did you to weigh the stockers for comparison? I believe the stock 10R wheels are already fairly light. I dropped 12 lbs. on my RC51. I'd love to know the difference for the 10R.

Anyone?

·
Registered
956 Posts
zx9rmal said:
I had BST's on my RC51 and they were fabulous. Did you to weigh the stockers for comparison? I believe the stock 10R wheels are already fairly light. I dropped 12 lbs. on my RC51. I'd love to know the difference for the 10R.

Anyone?
The shipping weight on the BST`s was right around 14 or 15 lbs. (boxes included) I wanna say the stockers have a combined weight around 32 to 34 lbs. Your lookin at close to half the weight. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
LordBadly said:
The shipping weight on the BST`s was right around 14 or 15 lbs. (boxes included) I wanna say the stockers have a combined weight around 32 to 34 lbs. Your lookin at close to half the weight. :mrgreen:
damn thats a substantial amount of difference.......

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
LordBadly said:
I sold my stock wheels this past year, and along with cush drive, a whole lotta packing material and boxes, the mailing weight was 29 lbs. Of course, I have no idea how "calibrated" the post office scale was, but that's what those bastids charged me for.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Rspec99 said:
I sold my stock wheels this past year, and along with cush drive, a whole lotta packing material and boxes, the mailing weight was 29 lbs. Of course, I have no idea how "calibrated" the post office scale was, but that's what those bastids charged me for.
I just shipped out my stock front wheel and the shipping weight was 23lbs :dontknow: I think maybe they are all using different units of weight. i.e. kilo`s. grams. lbs. ect ect :crackup:

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Was there a tire on that front wheel? Cause when I shipped my wheels, with the cush drive, sprocket, and spacers, the shipping weight was also 30lbs.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ara said:
Was there a tire on that front wheel? Cause when I shipped my wheels, with the cush drive, sprocket, and spacers, the shipping weight was also 30lbs.
yes there was a dunlop 218 on it.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
I think the shipping weight for the 218's was like 23 lbs., and thats with no packing, just taped together.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rotts4u said:
Its already running and seems to be fine. New lowers, oilpan, pickup screen, filter,oil and exhaust and I was good to go !!

Don
That's good. I hope to see you next year at maxton. :eek:ccasion1

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
so both stock wheels weight in at about 28 pounds and the B.S.T's. weight in at 15 , thats sounds like a good way to save weight especially for unsprung weight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts